REALLY FRUSTRATED with EVO 3D (Resurrecting my own thread)

fred72matt

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: REALLY FRUSTRATED with the EVO 3D

You definitely have a faulty phone I haven't even seen my battery since I bought it. My frustration is the apps I want to use not being 3d ready. (Yahoo IM video no front camera option,no oovoo,etc....)

l2059004

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

i just got this phone on sunday first day it worked like a charm 2nd day i let the battery run out and it didnt want to load it was force closing htc sence i had to factory reset to get it working again, and through out the day it shut down unexpectedly, today which is my 3rd day its worked pretty good only hopefully it stays that way. This is my first android hopefully i wont be my last.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Be sure to let us all know how things work out....

It's at the Sprint store getting 'serviced'. I wish I could have reproduced the problem for them, but if I could have done that I could have nailed it down to a specific software and probably fixed it myself.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Well, they did a factory reset on it, and I was told (not sure if I believe it) that their factory reset is different than the bootloader 'factory reset' I had tried about a week ago. We'll see if this fixes my issue. I'm having my doubts, but loading software on there slowly to see if anything manifests.

l2059004

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Well, they did a factory reset on it, and I was told (not sure if I believe it) that their factory reset is different than the bootloader 'factory reset' I had tried about a week ago. We'll see if this fixes my issue. I'm having my doubts, but loading software on there slowly to see if anything manifests.
update on your phone?

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

update on your phone?

Nothing has cropped up strange yet. Been loading apps steadily. Declined the software system updates so far. The main upside to this was it's the same phone physically, so all my pix and stuff were still on the SD card (which had been already dumped off to my computer, but still - convenient.)

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site

I got my Evo 3D a little over 2 weeks ago. I love the phone but the same problem occurred. The screen would remain off/black and the bottom buttons would be illuminated. The only solution was a battery pull. This happened about once a day to once every 2 days. I dealt with it in hopes of a fix. Then this past weekend the top part of my screen died, a reset fixed it but i found that odd that the top half of the screen all of a sudden was unresponsive. Later that day i dropped the Evo inside my recliner and put a small chip in the aluminum frame (hit something inside my recliner). So with the chip and the issues i decided to exchange it for a new one while i could under the 30 days. So far i'm on day 2 and haven't had any problems yet. Hopefully it will remain that way.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

By the POWER vested in ME by ME - I'm RESURRECTING this thread for the benefit of (I hope more than) ME! :p:p

Anyway, it's been a while since I've had the EVO 3D, and Sprint (if you read the thread) did a reset on the phone. But it has, off and on, STILL BEEN LOCKING UP requiring a battery pull to reset. And this is all before and after the rooting (Revolutionary) process and with three different ROMs tested on there. And ALSO with different kernals.

So it's pretty damn clear to me that it's some kind of issue with the phone itself. Now - I have the TEP from Sprint - what's the best way to get them to replace (NOT service) my phone? Tell them it was damaged? Will I have to show them the phone? Would I be better off telling them it was stolen? I don't want to pay a deductible for something that has been an ongoing issue almost since day 1.

Thanks!
Rich

rayln

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your issues, I'm glad I don't suffer those.

Are you over your 30 day limit? Has your phone been previously exchanged?

Sprint policy might allow you to commit an exchange for a 35$ fee or require you to do a full insurance replacement for 100$.

My best guess? Calmy and rationally explain your issue and how long it has been occurring. Prepare to stay on the line with sprint for upwards of 3hrs in order to get what you want for the price you're willing to pay.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
my best advice to you is try sprint over the phone and beg them to help you get a new one. speak with retentions if need be.

explain how you have already tried to have the phone serviced at a corp store and still have huge issues that you can't live with. keep stressing that you want to stay with sprint, but you can not keep this phone and will terminate this contract if you are forced to keep this defective phone. once you normally tell them that, they will do everything in their power to keep you as a customer and normally that means a replacment phone is on the way.

what ever you do, don't give up. don't keep a phone that is defective.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well - after a long call to Sprint to convince them this is an actual issue and not just me loading malicious apps on my phone they did finally agree to get me a replacement phone shipped to my house - after being kicked up to 2nd level support.

You know, I have had more issues with Sprint and the 3D in the last 30 days than I had with Sprint and EVO 4G in a YEAR. Pretty amazing. But still 1,000,000% better than AT&T. :cool:

Thanks for the words of advice warpdrive and raylaw. Sometimes one just needs to vent a little. :p

Edit: Now I have to go through the unroot process and load stock ROM again. ugh.

theo922

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Overheating EVO 3D, especially at the camera lens (with phone locked), before this already had the problem with non-responsive power button / black screen and locking up - only fix is battery pull. Local Sprint store says "take it back to location you bought it". They are an hour away, so I called them - "bring it back in and we will wipe it, but make sure to bring your blackberry back in as well - we do not want to leave you without a phone". I get the feeling the Sprint store guy has been here before, not his fault. I found a tech who listed online 25 problems known to exist on 3D that they are still working on at the factory level, including the above. I got the phone 6-1/2 days ago.

Seems to add up to a bad phone launch that is waiting to catch up to itself in terms of hardware repairs and software updates, maybe a good buy a year from now. I am not a tech guy, do not need to be a leader, I will go the lagger route and try the EVO 4G that sounds (from you guys) to be very stable, software is fully vetted, and SAFE. Why exchange the 3D for another and "hope" it works. And by the way, people saying they have no issues and have had to "only" deal with one or 2 freeze ups in 2 weeks of owning??? If that is considered "good performance" with these types of phones, maybe I need to go back to BB.

Great thread, when will companies realize that for every complaint and post they generate due to product or service issues, maybe 100-1000 other people stay silent and buy elsewhere based on what they read? Thanks for affirming I am not alone with these issues on the 3D!
:)

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife has gone through 2, 3VO's for locking up and the disappearing app trick mentioned by someone else on here. I have an OG Evo and love it. I think it's the best, most durable phone produced so far, and will be keeping it even when I upgrade to something else in a year or so. I may get a Nexus Prime if it has an SD slot.

Mallanon

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm the latest victum of this. I just got my 3DVO Thursday after my EVO that I love and have had since day 1 kind of died. I have spent the past 2 days pulling the battery to reset the phone at least every 2-4 hours. I called the store (1 hour away from my home) to see what they recommend and they told me simply to bring it in and they'll exchange it so it sounds like some issues here are known and you all paved the way for an easy swap. Thank you for that. I did what some suggested in this thread and did a factory reset and so far I haven't had any issues so I'll see how things go tomorrow and if no resets then life is good.

I am speculating currently that in my case, it's like all OS's and apps where sometimes you do an update and something isn't applied to the kernel properly so doing the rest allowed for a fresh reset of whatever was borked. I'll know as time goes by but thank you every in this thread for your experieinces it helped me figure out what to do.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my 3d at launch.

It did what yours is doing. I pulled the battery everytime it locked up. I also had the random rebooting
issue.

I took it to the Sprint store and they put in a new battery.

It's been perfect since then.

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek