View Poll Results: Are you returning your E3D for the Motorola Photon?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! The phone just isnt for me...

14 4.36%
  • No way! I love this phone! Photon who?

247 76.95%
  • Not sure yet! (Would like to see new Photon in person)

40 12.46%
  • I am waiting on another device!

20 6.23%
08-23-2011 06:23 AM
270 ... 91011
tools
    Yes anyone please help me I am new to sprint and I have used android phones before but the Evo 3d is my first really high end phone and I would like to know which one should i get in terms of processing power. I would love to have the processing power of the Tegra 2 chip in the Photon 4g but Motorola's UI is kind of a deal breaker for me (after using Sense 3.0). I have been all over the internet and seen that Photon's Tegra 2 chip is more powerful then the EVO 3d's 1.2ghz Dual Core processor, but i have also found out what Rooting a android phone do and its possible to overclock you CPU after Rooting has anyone done any test to this. A Rooted Evo 3d with a overclocked Cpu and a stock Photon. Thanks
    You will have the processing power with the 3D. The 2 phones are not that far apart stock. Using them you won't be able to tell the difference. Also according to nenamark the GPU in the 3D is better than the Tegra 2, when running the same screen resolution. These benchmarks just don't transfer to real world use. They are for bragging rights. But to answer your final question, yes an overclocked EVO 3D will smoke a stock Photon.
    08-14-2011 08:38 PM
    You will have the processing power with the 3D. The 2 phones are not that far apart stock. Using them you won't be able to tell the difference. Also according to nenamark the GPU in the 3D is better than the Tegra 2, when running the same screen resolution. These benchmarks just don't transfer to real world use. They are for bragging rights. But to answer your final question, yes an overclocked EVO 3D will smoke a stock Photon.
    Well what about that new LG Thrill Coming out with a 1Ghz Dual Core/ Dual channel processor. LG claims its a super phone.
    08-14-2011 09:10 PM
    Now, I'm still barely within my 30 days to return the Evo 3d, and I'm still on the fence about trading it in for a Photon. As previously mentioned, my biggest issue is low speaker volume. Now, I plan on going into a Sprint store and playing around with one for a while to cement my love for the Evo 3d, but I have one question;

As a person who primarily plays games on his cell phones (Seriously, not having Infinity Blade is killing me ) what is the main difference in the Photon's Tegra 2 process and ours?? I know we have a slightly faster clock speed at 1.2 vs 1.0, but are games that are optimized for Tegra 2 going to look better and perform better then those on the 3d due to the Nvidia chipset?? I see the new Tegra Zone listing games made to specifically perform on the Tegra chipset, and I was wondering if we get similar graphic quality on our processors or not.

Thanks!!
    08-21-2011 03:06 PM
    Now, I'm still barely within my 30 days to return the Evo 3d, and I'm still on the fence about trading it in for a Photon. As previously mentioned, my biggest issue is low speaker volume. Now, I plan on going into a Sprint store and playing around with one for a while to cement my love for the Evo 3d, but I have one question;

As a person who primarily plays games on his cell phones (Seriously, not having Infinity Blade is killing me ) what is the main difference in the Photon's Tegra 2 process and ours?? I know we have a slightly faster clock speed at 1.2 vs 1.0, but are games that are optimized for Tegra 2 going to look better and perform better then those on the 3d due to the Nvidia chipset?? I see the new Tegra Zone listing games made to specifically perform on the Tegra chipset, and I was wondering if we get similar graphic quality on our processors or not.

Thanks!!
    Hate to say it but if games are your priority tegra 2 is where it's at right now. I would consider it if I were you.
    08-21-2011 03:37 PM
    look better... a little subjective for phone... but there will be a lot of games that run a lot smoother on the Tegra 2. At the same time, there are very few games targeted at that for minimum specs. I don't see too many competitive people needing super frame rate for their FPS games on a cellphone. All the games I've played work just fine for the 3D. The clock speed can also be a little misleading at times, but cellphone apps don't need fast processors to get the job done (unless you're starting a 3d render farm of EVOs). I'd definitely choose a Tegra over snapdragon if I get a tablet of same value... but I picked up 2 HPs on the firesale so I'll be happy with the super cheap price over a Tegra.
    08-21-2011 03:38 PM
    Oh yea, I know it's definetly subjective, but it's not FPS that I'm mainly concerned about, I just keep seeing stuff about better textures/shadows/stuff like that. And I can't seem to find a decent comparison online. I guess my question is; I don't see why our phone can't pull off that stuff??
    08-21-2011 06:13 PM
    ...I picked up 2 HPs on the firesale so I'll be happy with the super cheap price over a Tegra.
    I'm very experienced with webOS. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM. I can definitely help you.
    08-21-2011 06:43 PM
    I'm very experienced with webOS. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM. I can definitely help you.
    lol... first thing is who's going to figure out how to put android on HP Touchpad

but I hear good things on webOS in general for this touchpad... I'll probably just use it for basic surf and video stuff, maybe some note taking.
    08-21-2011 07:09 PM
    Oh yea, I know it's definetly subjective, but it's not FPS that I'm mainly concerned about, I just keep seeing stuff about better textures/shadows/stuff like that. And I can't seem to find a decent comparison online. I guess my question is; I don't see why our phone can't pull off that stuff??
    Hate to say it, but if you love textures and shadows, the Photon isn't for you. You wont see them. And I am a fan of the Photon. This would be a dumb reason to switch.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    08-21-2011 11:25 PM
    Hate to say it, but if you love textures and shadows, the Photon isn't for you. You wont see them. And I am a fan of the Photon. This would be a dumb reason to switch.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    For sure, The Photon may be a fine phone, but with that Pentile screen it is certainly not a media consumption device.
    08-22-2011 09:01 AM
    I first want to say that I was a previous palm pre user and as don as I read the reviews for the touchpad, I quit Palm and HP. When that touchpad hit like a dud, then I knew HP didn't give a damn about webos hardware. I bought my 3vo on July 2nd and haven't looked back. To be honest, this phone is just awesome! You always want to check out the n new stuff because its nice and shiny, but the photon can't half a candle to this 3vo. I tried it our in the store but just wasn't impressed and I used to love moto back in the day! They always had the best reception, but my Evo is flawless, incredible actually!
    08-22-2011 09:55 AM
    I first want to say that I was a previous palm pre user and as soon as I read the reviews for the touchpad, I quit Palm and HP. When that touchpad hit like a dud, then I knew HP didn't give a damn about webos hardware. I bought my 3vo on July 2nd and haven't looked back. To be honest, this phone is just awesome! You always want to check out the new and shiny stuff because its nice and shiny, but the photon can't hold hold a candle to this 3vo. I tried it out in the store but just wasn't impressed and I used to love moto back in the day! They always had the best reception, but my Evo is flawless, incredible actually!
    CarrieK likes this.
    08-22-2011 09:57 AM
    I first want to say that I was a previous palm pre user and as soon as I read the reviews for the touchpad, I quit Palm and HP. When that touchpad hit like a dud, then I knew HP didn't give a damn about webos hardware. I bought my 3vo on July 2nd and haven't looked back. To be honest, this phone is just awesome! You always want to check out the new and shiny stuff because its nice and shiny, but the photon can't hold hold a candle to this 3vo. I tried it out in the store but just wasn't impressed and I used to love moto back in the day! They always had the best reception, but my Evo is flawless, incredible actually!
    Outside of the 3D features, what can the 3VO do that can't be done on the Photon?
    08-22-2011 10:18 AM
    Outside of the 3D features, what can the 3VO do that can't be done on the Photon?
    I don't think he was comparing feature to feature. He bought the 3VO loves it and doesn't feel bad about not owning a Photon. I think that's it really. I could be wrong though.
    08-22-2011 10:36 AM
    I don't think he was comparing feature to feature. He bought the 3VO loves it and doesn't feel bad about not owning a Photon. I think that's it really. I could be wrong though.
    That's how I interpreted it as well.
    08-22-2011 11:03 AM
    while I agree with the above two people, there is a few things that the evo3d can do right out of the box that the photon can't. my top favorit is when you want to pick one of the web pages that you already have opened. on the photon you only see a list of what you can open, on the evo3d you can view all the pages and tap one to pick it. no big deal, but far more pretty and practical.
    Wiley_11 and CarrieK like this.
    08-22-2011 12:26 PM
    I was just curious, that's all.
    08-22-2011 12:58 PM
    I was just curious, that's all.
    Cool, I also went to my Sprint store to check it out. First thing that caught my attention was the screen, I was sort of turned off after that. No matter what else it had, I couldn't get past the screen. For me it was a dealbreaker.
    08-22-2011 01:48 PM
    Cool, I also went to my Sprint store to check it out. First thing that caught my attention was the screen, I was sort of turned off after that. No matter what else it had, I couldn't get past the screen. For me it was a dealbreaker.
    Understandable. I've noticed the degree of graininess varies widely per phone. Luckily, I don't notice it at all on mine. ;-)
    08-22-2011 03:14 PM
    Same here. The screen is something you see and interact with each time you use the phone. After being exposed to the EVO 3D screen I personally cannot imagine going back. Another feature that does it for me on the 3D is the mhl. It makes the phone a mini media center. I can plug right in to a friend's tv and share pictures and home videos, browse to YouTube right there and play videos, stream music, watch movies, browse the web, you name it. I use this feature more than I ever anticipated I would. I initially thought I would play with it here and there and be done with it.

Ultimately it boils down to what features one wants. For a more business oriented person who does a lot of traveling outside the country the Photon is great. For some the screen isn't an issue and that is OK and a matter of individual priority and preference. Imho, if you use your phone more for social networking and entertainment then the EVO 3D fits the bill. I have a phone assigned to me for work so the EVO 3D is all play for me!
    08-23-2011 06:23 AM
270 ... 91011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD