I cant seem to find this. Does anyone know if the maps are located on the device? If not is there a way to download the maps to the device?

Now I ask because I do have a Garmin and I love it! The issue I have in VT is the data connection is off and on on our main highway to any where. Such as Boston, MA. If you cant download the maps what Nav software would you use?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    08-03-2011 09:03 AM
    The latest version of Google Maps allows you to store maps offline, plus it's free.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    08-03-2011 09:34 AM
    I cant seem to find this. Does anyone know if the maps are located on the device? If not is there a way to download the maps to the device?

Now I ask because I do have a Garmin and I love it! The issue I have in VT is the data connection is off and on on our main highway to any where. Such as Boston, MA. If you cant download the maps what Nav software would you use?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Off topic but I practically lived on VT 22A for a year back and fourth about 16 times.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    08-03-2011 09:52 AM
    Off topic but I practically lived on VT 22A for a year back and fourth about 16 times.
    Good to know!

I live in Burlington area. So I am on 89 > 93 to Boston every other weekend! Are you still in VT? Enjoy it here? What area?
    08-03-2011 10:33 AM
    The latest version of Google Maps allows you to store maps offline, plus it's free.
    Thanks for the advice!

I tried using Google maps this past weekend when I was in North Adams MA. It failed big time. Due to the mountains. When I clicked Nav it would just sit there thinking. Even tried restarting my phone and no dice! If it would work then I would JUST use Google maps. I do like TeleNav though. Its close to looking like my Garmin!

So great advice! Still seem to have to have data for this to really work sadly
    08-03-2011 10:35 AM
    Are you using the current version of google maps? If so, you have to download the tiles to your handset - only then will it download and make it available for offline use

Official Google Blog: “Download map area” added to Labs in Google Maps for Android
    cgardnervt likes this.
    08-03-2011 10:49 AM
    Are you using the current version of google maps? If so, you have to download the tiles to your handset - only then will it download and make it available for offline use

Official Google Blog: Download map area added to Labs in Google Maps for Android
    Great find! I still dont see how its useful for a long trip. When I save an area it only seems to wanna save anything within 10 miles of the address. SO going from Burlington VT to Boston MA wouldnt help. Now I have not played with it to much so it might just be something I am missing. (At work so I am playing with it sorta on the fly)
    08-03-2011 11:04 AM