so android is single-core? not using the dual-core?

luisrodg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I was doing some reading and 2.3 is currently single-core, and 3.0 on tablets is dual-core so that when 4.0 comes and these two are united, android will be dual-core for phones etc.

So my question, evo 3d has dual-core, does that mean that right now there is only one core being used? If so, then that also means when 4.0 comes, ignoring any performance increase on the software side, there will be a performance increase coming from the fact that now the OS will be able to use the second core?

Thanks, just wanted to clarify some stuff.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Android is multi-core aware, at least in gingerbread. But it doesn't mean it'll use the cores to it's fullest extent. HC has some multicore optimizations so tablets can make use of them (though, TBH, the transformer was painfully stuttery). ICS is suppose to bring more opitmizations, and start reeling things between tablets and phones.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
sort of. It can address dual cores but does not make full use of them. Also Apps don't. The next update promises full dual core support which should give all dual core phones a free boost.

playersnoopy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Even if it had "full" dual core support which I'm not sure what that would imply... doesn't mean much because 99% of apps don't really utilize parallel processing nor would many things benefit from it. Unless you're using your phone as part of your 3D render farm -.-

The thing that would benefit is how the Android OS handles the cores, and assigns apps to the individual cores... But it is my understanding (not sure as no real info available) that EVO 3D has a single channel to the memory from the dual cores so that's pretty much the biggest problem and if it's true then no fix for that. But being that it's a phone and you can't really switch back and from from an app almost instantly and use both apps nearly at the same time like on a pc... not much of an issue.