HTC Evo 3d does not play internet video

Seafox420

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My new evo 3d cannot seem to play the video on any major video website. I've tried the video section on foxnews.com, the daily show, the colbert report and amazon video on demand. All of them stall out or say 'unable to connect'. Why shouldn't this superphone be able to play simple online videos like a low end laptop or an iphone can? Anyone else with the evo 3d; could you try watching an episode or clip from these websites, and see if you have any more luck? Thanks!

bbarend

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I generally have no issues at all with internet videos. However, I did try foxnews, and their videos don't play. I just get a black box. Perhaps they are HTML 5. Try the skyfire browser from the market. Also, there is a fox news app that plays videos.

Jimmy Chitwood

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My new evo 3d cannot seem to play the video on any major video website. I've tried the video section on foxnews.com, the daily show, the colbert report and amazon video on demand. All of them stall out or say 'unable to connect'. Why shouldn't this superphone be able to play simple online videos like a low end laptop or an iphone can? Anyone else with the evo 3d; could you try watching an episode or clip from these websites, and see if you have any more luck? Thanks!

There is a setting in the Evo 3D browser where you choose the location and size of the video buffer/cache. I had the same problem playing video until I picked the SD card as the default location. I can't remember if I changed the size or not. Sorry I can't be more help as I returned my Evo 3D so don't know exactly where the setting is but I'm sure it should be easy to find. If not maybe another owner can chime in.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
There is a setting in the Evo 3D browser where you choose the location and size of the video buffer/cache. I had the same problem playing video until I picked the SD card as the default location. I can't remember if I changed the size or not. Sorry I can't be more help as I returned my Evo 3D so don't know exactly where the setting is but I'm sure it should be easy to find. If not maybe another owner can chime in.
I found the setting you were talking about. After opening the browser, press the menu button, then More, then settings. It's at the bottom under Advanced configuration. However, on mine it is automatically set to download storage to the SD card, but after I changed the cache size, the videos on those websites played fine.

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I also cannot get fox to play videos. Daily Show played commercial and then sat there for a while and went straight to "replay video".

help :(

EDIT: Fox works now. Had to hit tiny play button on bottom left.

Jimmy Chitwood

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
You tried what I had said in my previous post? Set the buffer/cache location? The default browser that comes with GB really is garbage. You guys should try Xscope in the Android Market. Its free now (used to be $3 I think). It really is the best browser you can get. Its very fast and has some features that are very usefull. Also, I haven't had any issues playing videos with this browser, as it comes with a media player built in instead of using whatever that sorry excuse for a media player Gallery is. I'm running it on 2.3.5 Nexus S 4G but I don't think it should matter. Cheers

PS: I play coach stays, he goes I go

Seafox420

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, fantastic everyone, I wasn't expecting such a response. However, my cache size is already set to the maximum and the sd card. I tried dolphin browser hd, skyfire and xscope, but all have the same problem. Skyfire does have a tool to convert video into compressed html5, but I wish I could just watch normal video. Could it be a problem with my phone specifically?

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow, fantastic everyone, I wasn't expecting such a response. However, my cache size is already set to the maximum and the sd card. I tried dolphin browser hd, skyfire and xscope, but all have the same problem. Skyfire does have a tool to convert video into compressed html5, but I wish I could just watch normal video. Could it be a problem with my phone specifically?

I have the same problem with my EVO 3D as you. I've been trying all the suggestions left here also without success. :(

I can play videos on my wifi tablet or laptop while connected to my phone's hotspot so I'm thinking the problem must be a browser setting.

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I generally have no issues at all with internet videos. However, I did try foxnews, and their videos don't play. I just get a black box. Perhaps they are HTML 5. Try the skyfire browser from the market. Also, there is a fox news app that plays videos.

Not being able to get Fox News may be a blessing in disguise. ;)

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried them also with Dolphin HD and they all work fine. I haven't made any changes other than cache size, which I did the day I got the phone just out of habit...not to fix anything.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
On the Foxnews site, are you tapping the small play button in the lower left-hand corner of the video window? Not the big play graphic in the center of the window.

What happens when you try to play a video?

3dkit

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
On my EVO 3d any video I try to watch, even YouTube, and all my mp3 music stored online---everything--- keeps stopping to rebuffer (or whatever you call it). Getting more than a littl:(e fed up with this phone. Not so fast either. And I've yet to see good 3d. However this video/mp3 problem is a MUST FIX!!! But how???????

KC8UTQ

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue as nothing would play. Not youtube,watch, cnn video. When I did a factory reset it worked for a brief period then stopped again. I found out that the proxy settings were wrong on my phone. Go to Sprint Community: Home and go to the evo 3d forum and post that your video is not working and the sprint techs will help you with the fix. Good luck.

Reactions: Sambo41

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair