Dropped my Evo... What can I do?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Holding my 3D and talking to someone. Got bumped by a group of people. Phone flew out of my hand and landed on the ground. The screen is fine but the casing around it is pretty scuffed and twisted at one corner... I'm always extremely careful with my phones, so to have this happen so soon is pretty annoying. A lesson hard-learned to buy a case.

What are my options as to what I can do? Is there any way I can have it repaired? I'm willing to pay a fee.

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Step 1. Kick yourself in the butt for not getting the $7.00 insurance from Sprint, which covers breakage.
Are you beyond your 30 days?

Step 2. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

TrueDrooid

May 22, 2010
Visit site
you can get a new housing off ebay for about $49.00 maybe even cheaper depending on what part you actually want to replace (And also depending on your/somebody's expertise in electronic repair)

I would also say its always worth a shot and bringing it to a sprint store and dealing with a man, they most times seem more helpful for some reason. . . especially if ur a girl or bring one with u. LOL

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yup, beyond 30 days. Actually not sure if I have the TEP, but I don't think so. I'll try dealing with a radioschack near here, they might cut me some slack. I'll also purchase TEP and a case.

Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes to get my phone to not look like this anymore.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yup, beyond 30 days. Actually not sure if I have the TEP, but I don't think so. I'll try dealing with a radioschack near here, they might cut me some slack. I'll also purchase TEP and a case.

Honestly, I'll do whatever it takes to get my phone to not look like this anymore.

Normally, Sprint only allows you to enroll in TEP within 30 days of the purchase of your phone. However, to celebrate their pricing increase of TEP from $7/month to $8/month, for the month of August only, they are letting any customer enroll in TEP regardless of how long ago they purchased their phone. While I do not advocate going this route, you could enroll, file a claim, pay the $100 deductible, and get a new or refurbsihed Evo 3D.

Alternatively, if its just the battery cover that is roughed up, you can purchase a replacement cover on ebay for $25 or so. I wouldn't count on much help from RadioShack though, they have no incentive to replace your phone for anything less than the full unsubsidized price of the phone. Anything less and they would be taking a loss. A corporate Sprint store is your best bet but I can tell you right now that if the phone is working fine and its just cosmetic damage, their policy is not to offer a replacement.

For a case, I would recommend getting one from tpu-cases.com. Very inexpensive but fits the phone like a glove and to me, it offers the best compromise between protection and not adding too much bulk to the phone.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So even with TEP, I'd still have to pay $100? Even just for a repair? And yeah it's the actual casing that's damaged, and it really makes the phone uglier...

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So even with TEP, I'd still have to pay $100? Even just for a repair? And yeah it's the actual casing that's damaged, and it really makes the phone uglier...

I have in the past had some small tiny repairs and was never charged. even getting a new battery was free if asked nice enough. a full recasing may have the $100 charge.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have in the past had some small tiny repairs and was never charged. even getting a new battery was free if asked nice enough. a full recasing may have the $100 charge.

Right now, since the Evo3D is still pretty new, we as Sprint repair techs aren't allowed to disassemble them yet. Your best bet may be to purchase the housing offline. I've had customers do that and whether they have TEP or not, I usually fix it for them without charging them.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. Where would I purchase it offline? It's the only part that's damaged. And where would I find techs like you? A sprint store?

And should I maybe talk to Asurion and ask if the procedure would cost me anything to go through them?

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Next time, buy your phone from Best Buy and pay the $9/mo for the warranty. They replace it no questions asked, no deductible. The only thing they don't cover is theft or loss.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. Where would I purchase it offline? It's the only part that's damaged. And where would I find techs like you? A sprint store?

And should I maybe talk to Asurion and ask if the procedure would cost me anything to go through them?

I don't have any feedback but here's a place with parts.

LINK

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Next time, buy your phone from Best Buy and pay the $9/mo for the warranty. They replace it no questions asked, no deductible. The only thing they don't cover is theft or loss.

Not to hijack this thread, but another important aspect to remember about the BB insurance is that they will first try and repair the phone as in they will mail it to their technician/repair shop and you will have to wait a few days for them either to fix it or give the go ahead for a replacement (at least that is the standard procedure, some stores may deviate from this). You will get a dumbphone loaner though while you wait. The Sprint insurance does not require you to initially send your phone back for repair (you do return your current phone back to them though once you get your replacement unit) and it also covers loss/theft in addition to damage but of course you may pay up to a $100 deductible.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
A case is a must, these kind of things will happen. Dropped my phone dead on it's face. Had 0 damage and all I had was a $8 TPU case from Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy