Camera shutter sound

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
This whole subject is a grey area. There must be some kind of laws somewhere because just last Saturday my son and I went to take some recycling and the city was sponsoring an awareness drive, giving away gift cards and other prizes. They asked if it would be ok to take our picture while we were registering because they wanted to possibly post it on their website and had us sign a consent form. Another time, I was at a concert event where they were filming a video and since they were panning the crowd where I was going to be, asked us to sign a consent form (unfortunately you couldn't see much of me, I was mostly in shadow :( ). Anyway, maybe it has nothing to do with privacy laws...maybe they request permission so that you can't come back later and demand payment or something, idk.

You are correct in your assumptions. Also it is very grey, which is why it is still debated in courts. Pics for art fall under our freedom of speech (still debatable though). While living in southern California, I signed a few of those waivers. If you read all of the fine print, it does waive all rights so they can use it for advertisements.

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing preventing HTC from removing the sound. There are too many arguments that can be made.

There is no sound when recording video.
The phone user can mute all sound to the phone.
There is nothing defining the level of the sound.
All of my other cameras have ability to mute click.
Security cameras take pictures all day without sound... Etc, etc.

HTC please fix this bug. Btw there is also a bug with Mirror app.

Reactions: Wiley_11

thascourge

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This whole subject is a grey area. There must be some kind of laws somewhere because just last Saturday my son and I went to take some recycling and the city was sponsoring an awareness drive, giving away gift cards and other prizes. They asked if it would be ok to take our picture while we were registering because they wanted to possibly post it on their website and had us sign a consent form. Another time, I was at a concert event where they were filming a video and since they were panning the crowd where I was going to be, asked us to sign a consent form (unfortunately you couldn't see much of me, I was mostly in shadow :( ). Anyway, maybe it has nothing to do with privacy laws...maybe they request permission so that you can't come back later and demand payment or something, idk.

That "grey area" is for their ability to use it for commercial uses.

If it is for art or personal use, you have no recourse for when someone snaps a pic of you. Now if they are HARASSING you, sure - trying to take pics up your skirt or simply following you around everywhere and not leaving you alone.

But that is not the camera's fault, and people who legitimately use cameras should not be penalized for it.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
When in public places, you do not have an expectation of privacy. Therefore your image can be taken without permission.
consent maybe needed if those pictures taken in public places are then used commercially or for profit.
Trying to take pictures, for example up a woman"s skirt, while she is in a public place, violates her expectation of privacy. But if that same woman runs around in public naked, then you can snap away.
US law is based on reasonableness.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify for me: is the camera sound ALWAYS on and can never be turned off, or is it influenced by the phones overall volume, i.e., turning the phone to silent also turns off the camera sound?

On the Motorola Photon, even turning the phone to silent doesn't kills (or even lower) the camera shutter. Motorola is saying this is a Sprint thing, and if it's true for the Evo 3D then maybe it's indeed true.

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. It's just annoying, even when It's just me and scenery I hate to hear it.

Yes. It's nothing to do with being a perv or taking pictures of babies/animals, it's just cheesy. The shutter sound on a real camera is the sound of actual physical parts working. There's no need for it on a cell phone. Luckily, I turned mine off the first day I had the phone, so mine is thankfully stuck in the off position.

johnny--2k#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I just reset my camera settings and ran into this, simple fix really, put the ringer profile into silent, not vibrate, and viola, no shutter sound!!!

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
#@$! I wish I saw this thread first. Yesterday I hit the restore setting and have shutter and zoom sound. Ps I'm not a perv more of a battery Nazi. Help is there ant news on this?

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
#@$!

Dear cozmos0001

Thank you for contacting HTC coz.

We are sorry to hear that your shutter and zoom sound are not turning off. We will be happy to shed some light on this subject.

With the new update, by design, customers are now unable to turn off the shutter or zoom sound on their devices.

We do have a suggestion for customers who wish to turn off this sound. If you turn your phone to silent it should stop these sound effects.

With regards to battery usage, sounds have little to no bearing on battery levels.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you coz. Keep in mind that we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you may have between 6am to 1am EDST, 7 days a week for your convenience, or by phone at 1-866-449-8358.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

At least we wrote back,

Bianca

HTC

Has anyone taken this issue any futher? why was this necessary? who is brave enough to tackle this one?

Last edited:

spballer21

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have removed all camera sounds. What I did was, take the default camera app off my phone, take it to my computer and delete all sounds from the camera app. then i pasted it back into the directory where my default camera app was (/system/app/)

here is a link to download the apk that i am using and i know it for sure works. I uploaded this my self.
HTCCamera - Download - 4shared

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam