Activate before migrating?

Raxsymelich

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
So, I've just received the Evo 3D, and I want to migrate everything (I mean everything) from my Evo 4G. I've pretty much figured out everything I need to do, except: should I activate the new phone prior to beginning the migration?

Thanks in advance.

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You should activate your new 3D first. Once you enter your google account information, your contacts should sync within a few minutes. You will have to redownload all your apps from the market though, so you may want to make a list if you aren't keeping your original evo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Raxsymelich

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
You will have to redownload all your apps from the market though, so you may want to make a list if you aren't keeping your original evo.

Using AppBrain for that. Thanks for the info, activating 3D now.

(I'll post an update when I'm done or if I run into problems.)

Raxsymelich

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, got most stuff done. I'm having a problem with app data though. I use my phone for a lot of work-related stuff, so this absolutely has to get transferred to my new phone.

I did this:
Automatically Backup and Restore App Settings
By default, Android does not backup app data and settings! Worse, the settings to fix this may be hidden.
? Tap Menu > Settings > Search for "privacy". Tap Privacy then check "Back up my settings" and "Automatic restore".
...on the old phone, but I'm realizing that only means the app data gets backed up to that phone's SD card (not to some cloud somewhere), and thus when you install that app on your new device...no automatic restore. :(

Any tricks on easily restoring, or do I have to go through the somewhat laborious process of copying it all off my old SD card onto my PC, then back onto the new SD card, in the right folders, blah blah blah? That would be a ridiculous pain in the ass.

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can think of would be titanium backup, which saves all of your app data, including stored passwords and game saves. However, it requires root and I have no idea how it would work with restoring data form a different phone model. I was thinking if trying it myself this week when I too upgrade to the 3D, after making a nandroid backup of course.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I use my backup pro no root needed. Although I had a better SD card in my oevo, I backed up evo3d SD to my pc and made the switch, there was one 15 minute session with my PC. I had to transfer. Green Hornet as I deleted this by mistake. Hope this helps.

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I can't believe it's that expensive. Got it for 2 bucks a long time ago. I find I use it everytime I need to update the phone. Oh well I hope you find a solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae