01-24-2012 02:57 PM
38 12
tools
    Does anyone know when the EVO 3D will get ICS?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!
    12-20-2011 10:23 PM
    12-20-2011 10:58 PM
    mid 2012
    12-20-2011 11:24 PM
    Q1 2012 per HTC rep...
    12-21-2011 12:44 AM
    as a previous HTC Eris user; dates from anyone don't mean a thing. The Eris update was 9 months late. So I'll confirm a date the day after it shows up on my phone. Sorry that sounds bitter, but I've been stuck in the cogs of massive corporate maneuvers before.
    12-21-2011 03:51 AM
    Rumored was in Dec/Jan but i can bet you its not right. Q1 sounds more like it. Later in Q1 though.
    12-21-2011 09:34 AM
    Don't hold your breath. This is HTC we are talking about. Didn't the TB just get ginerbread?
    12-21-2011 10:04 AM
    Yes, but HTC has been much more successful at updating Sprint phones than Verizon phones. The original EVO 4G had Gingerbread before the EVO 3D was released. HTC said quarter 1 and that is when I expect it. Now when within quarter 1 is another story. Hopefully closer to January 1st than March 31st, but we will have to wait and see.
    gregg6942#AC likes this.
    12-21-2011 10:15 AM
    HTC has been pretty good about most updates. A few devices could have been better I am sure. But for the most part their track record is much better than other companies. Such as Samsung...Just saying

Either way I look forward to it. But I'd rather have WebOS on my device to be honest. So if they ever get a fully working ROM I will be moving back over! :P
    12-21-2011 11:58 AM
    ICS has some WebOS type gestures! There's no way (and I really did like WebOS) ICS with HTC's amazing Sense features should be mentioned in the same forum page as the college experiment that was Palm's last gasp.

Yes the app development has a big part of the disparity, but besides the 'cards' function, what did WebOS do even close to as well as Android?

To get back to the topic, I would give HTC the benefit of the doubt with updates. Since moving to Android from the Pre, I've had the Evo and Evo 3D and got updates whether maintenance or Android based, to be pretty well done and industry leading for non-nexus devices. I would vaguely guess mid January to mid February. They have a lot of APIs to update within a HUGE Sense file, and that'll take some time, but they'll get it out asap.
    12-21-2011 08:32 PM
    ICS has some WebOS type gestures! There's no way (and I really did like WebOS) ICS with HTC's amazing Sense features should be mentioned in the same forum page as the college experiment that was Palm's last gasp.

Yes the app development has a big part of the disparity, but besides the 'cards' function, what did WebOS do even close to as well as Android?

To get back to the topic, I would give HTC the benefit of the doubt with updates. Since moving to Android from the Pre, I've had the Evo and Evo 3D and got updates whether maintenance or Android based, to be pretty well done and industry leading for non-nexus devices. I would vaguely guess mid January to mid February. They have a lot of APIs to update within a HUGE Sense file, and that'll take some time, but they'll get it out asap.
    I agree 100%. People are still delusional about what webOS could have been and what it actually was. To put it bluntly it was a laggy, underpowered, slow, poorly coded and weak OS. All it had going for it was cards and Google now has that. I don't see what webOS could bring to the table today. You think Android touch sensitivity still needs work compared to iOS? WebOS was a disaster to use as a touch interface. It was just too laggy and slow. There I said it.
    TuffGong likes this.
    12-22-2011 09:36 AM
    Yeah, every time people prop up WebOS on the software, I have to point out how lacking it was and still is.

I loved being unable to open a single webpage because of full memory. Games recommended a fresh reboot before playing, not cool when it took 4 minutes.

Then you had to deal with the lacking APIs and horrible horrible graphics on it.

The ONLY innovation was the cards AND the gestures below the screen. I would prefer that the capacitive buttons worked like that.
    LTrane likes this.
    12-22-2011 06:22 PM
    The cards view was amazing. It truly does multi-task as well. As far as being laggy on some devices yes it was. If you see the Pre3 in person there is no lag at all. So it was really the hardware holding it back. I think seeing a device like The Evo 3D would change all of that.

Does WebOS need work too? Sure it does. HP screwed that all up. The UI was awesome IMO. Not widgets but it was a nice in between iOS and Android. WebOS could have been something amazing. In my eyes it still could be. I miss WebOS on my phone. I liked it more than I like Android.

Android is still laggy. Even on the Evo 3D is slows down at times. Like any other OS it also has its down falls. I wont go any further into this because its not meant to be a flaming war. I like them both but for entirely different reasons. Having the choice of both would be pretty badass though IMO! So lets just put it on the Christmas list for next year yeah?
    12-23-2011 09:08 AM
    One thing that also needs to be acknowledged about WebOS is/was the notifications system. You see influences of it in the new iOS and with ICS as well. Being able to swipe away a notification at a time is pretty big for me.

But be honest, your 'multitasking' was nothing more than a different visualization of 'recent places/apps.' Because you can have all the cards in the world that you want up and off to the side of the screen, but you focus back on them and they had to refresh/reload anyway. True multitasking would require you to split the screen with more than one card, and that is tablet/desktop type work, not even a normal techie need for a smartphone.

And let's also re-examine this idea about the 'lag' on the Evo3D. The true cause isn't Android, as much as the Sense UI. It's a HUGE file and has such a wide breadth of enhancements, most of which are not used much (Friend Stream, People app, Car Panel, etc) that it slows down the responsiveness. Take the HTC hardware and put a pure 'Nexus' ICS on it and there would be zero lag. But then you lose the animations (which are second to no other manufacturer in graphics) and don't forget the amazing lock screen!

All that being said, we are high jacking the thread now.

Another question besides when will we get ICS to be pondered: will we get all the enhancements featured in the Galaxy Nexus, such as zero shutter lag? I would assume lock screen stuff will still be controlled by Sense, but will that also mean that it'll be HTC's camera UI??? Any thoughts on what will be covered up by HTC's modifications?
    12-23-2011 10:01 PM
    Yeah, every time people prop up WebOS on the software, I have to point out how lacking it was and still is.

I loved being unable to open a single webpage because of full memory. Games recommended a fresh reboot before playing, not cool when it took 4 minutes.

Then you had to deal with the lacking APIs and horrible horrible graphics on it.

The ONLY innovation was the cards AND the gestures below the screen. I would prefer that the capacitive buttons worked like that.
    Was Android perfect when it first released?
    KnoxBNYC#AC likes this.
    12-25-2011 02:58 AM
    Who cares about web os. Not me. Move on losers
    12-25-2011 12:16 PM
    Who cares about web os. Not me. Move on losers
    I liked webOS, that's why I followed Matias Duarte to Android. I could not be happier.
    KnoxBNYC#AC and ElijahRain like this.
    12-25-2011 12:35 PM
    I liked webOS, that's why I followed Matias Duarte to Android. I could not be happier.
    Ditto
    KnoxBNYC#AC likes this.
    12-25-2011 04:49 PM
    as a previous HTC Eris user; dates from anyone don't mean a thing. The Eris update was 9 months late. So I'll confirm a date the day after it shows up on my phone. Sorry that sounds bitter, but I've been stuck in the cogs of massive corporate maneuvers before.
    What he said....^ Actually, sense 3.0 is working ok for me. I hope ICS don't come messing up everything.
    12-25-2011 08:46 PM
    No, but after 3 years, webOS is still much like a toy. Looks good but can't do any real work.
    12-27-2011 10:36 AM
    Do you remember all the broken WebOS promises? The missed updates? The horrid battery life?
    It was a different beast altogether, being promised Adobe Flash in 2010.. then 2011, then denied it all outright.

The devices felt more abandoned than any Apple device ever. The Pre+ came out, on EVERY NETWORK EXCEPT THE ONE THE DEVICE LAUNCHED ON. That was more likely Sprint swearing off Palm, but that left me unable to upgrade IF I wanted to.

Then the company frigging announced the Pre3 LITERALLY the week before the Pre2's release. You don't do that, unless you're Palm, and you're about to release the the Palm V. Oh crap, remember that? Apparently they didn't.

Palm did EVERYTHING wrong. Everything.

250MB partition for apps. It would error out if you hit that limit and not tell you why, other than storage was full.
    My favorite was how the device became a personal handwarmer right when an update was pushed, but wouldn't tell you unless you manually checked.
    VickMackey#AC likes this.
    12-27-2011 05:32 PM
    If you are rooted, head over to XDA. There are 2 fairly functional ICS ports for the 3d there for the taking.
    12-27-2011 11:22 PM
    sad, but true. I bought the EVO3D out of necessity, and blind hope the modding community would pull through with custom ROMs. Unfortunately, that also means waiting a bit for a stable release that is mostly functional (4G and 3D I can live without) and a way around hboot 1.5 =)

One of the biggest things I miss from webOS though (aside from cards and swipe notifications)? WebOSdoctor... mess up? easy format and restore. I'm totally lost in the android world for something like this
    12-28-2011 08:59 AM
    that's the reason I came to HTC ..... Updates! Coming from being a Samsung user HTC updates a lot more frequently. Loving my E3D u can say what u want about it, but Im sticking with HTC.

CarrieK likes this.
    01-15-2012 10:39 AM
    stop by reveal owners forum Thor is just about done with his ice port it looks great but I wouldnt try it until its done
    01-15-2012 12:04 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD