Sprint Bloatware New Permissions

jalbrant

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed a bunch of manual updates for the Sprint bloatware on my Evo 3D. Most of them now require GPS location and the ability to receive SMS messages! This is not okay with me.

Here's what's changed that really bothers me:

Blockbuster: Coarse and Fine location
mSpot Radio: Receive SMS, Coarse Location, Full Internet Access
NASCAR: Coarse Location, Fine Location
Telenav: Receive SMS, Send SMS, Call phone numbers, Record Audio

I'm not a tinfoil hat guy, but I do take security very seriously. Seems to me Sprint doesn't care as much about our privacy. These apps will be stay as manual updates until I root this thing.

Reactions: cgardnervt

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Some have speculated that these bloatware updates are in preparation for the ICS upgrade, but I don't know about that.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Some have speculated that these bloatware updates are in preparation for the ICS upgrade, but I don't know about that.

I made one of the posts. I think that it is. HTC did say the update would be here by Q1! So lets hope it still is. Either way I am excited about it.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I made one of the posts. I think that it is. HTC did say the update would be here by Q1! So lets hope it still is. Either way I am excited about it.

I hope you're right, but why would that have to do that. It seems like they could just bundle any bloatware updates directly into the ICS OTA.

If you are right, does that mean that I need to accept the bloatware updates for my ICS updates to work properly? I had uninstalled the updates for those bloat apps to save space some time ago. Thoughts?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't run the updates I would think just the apps them self may not load correctly. Like you I will not update them.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't run the updates I would think just the apps them self may not load correctly. Like you I will not update them.

To be on the safe side, I'm considering installing the updates before accepting the OTA, accepting the ICS OTA, and then unistalling the updates after. Seems like it might be unnecessary, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.