Serious battery draining issue

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with my phone, my battery life is getting shorter and shorter each day it seems. For the past couple of days, I've my battery has drained very quickly from mainly texting. When I got to work today after a 15 min call on the way in, @ 96% at 730. Right now I'm at 13%. I've sent/recieved about 35-40 texts and have had 57 min. of talk time on calls. I am running a stock phone and use Handcent SMS for texting. I took my phone to Sprint yesterday and they "supposedly" gave me a new battery. They said the reason for my battery going out quicker was due to Juice Defender or something like that running. Is there any options someone could suggest to help me solve this problem or should I just do a back-up using Mybackup pro and do the hard reset?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem with my phone, my battery life is getting shorter and shorter each day it seems. For the past couple of days, I've my battery has drained very quickly from mainly texting. When I got to work today after a 15 min call on the way in, @ 96% at 730. Right now I'm at 13%. I've sent/recieved about 35-40 texts and have had 57 min. of talk time on calls. I am running a stock phone and use Handcent SMS for texting. I took my phone to Sprint yesterday and they "supposedly" gave me a new battery. They said the reason for my battery going out quicker was due to Juice Defender or something like that running. Is there any options someone could suggest to help me solve this problem or should I just do a back-up using Mybackup pro and do the hard reset?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

One thing I've noticed the past couple of weeks: Temple Run is killing my battery! If you don't go to the start screen and exit that way, as opposed to just hitting the Home button, it continues to run in the background, but it eats battery like you're playing the game in the foreground. The Plume Twitter client does the same thing. Although if you don't have Temple Run or Plume this probably doesn't help.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Try using a memory manager instead of juice defender. That app controls other apps and in the same process drains more battery. Im rooted and have the v6 supercharger script installed. Running 1836 mhz on mean ROM 3.7 and still getting up to 12 hours with significant usage.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Try to find BetterBatteryStats in the market or in xda. Something is probably keeping your phone awake (wakelock) and that will definitely drain it fast

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have good signal? How many bars? I know where I live if I'm home I only get like 1 bar...So service is not so great. That seems to kill my battery. So I stick it on WiFi for my internet and that seemed to help some. Could be a lot of things. Like the others up above you may wanna download an app to watch it for ya!

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you have good signal? How many bars? I know where I live if I'm home I only get like 1 bar...So service is not so great. That seems to kill my battery. So I stick it on WiFi for my internet and that seemed to help some. Could be a lot of things. Like the others up above you may wanna download an app to watch it for ya!

Try updating your prl! If your rooted try changing it with ##775#.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Try to find BetterBatteryStats in the market or in xda. Something is probably keeping your phone awake (wakelock) and that will definitely drain it fast

You should be able to check to see if this is the culpret pretty easily without installing another app. Go to Settings > About phone > Battery. You will see "Up time" and "Awake time". "Up time" is how long it's been since the phone rebooted (i.e. shutdown, restart or battery pull). "Awake time" is time that your phone is actively doing stuff and not asleep. If those 2 numbers are the same then you definitely have a problem. If you do have a problem, figuring out why is the hard part.

For example, at this moment my "Up time" is 146 hours and 36 minutes. My "awake time" is 86 hours and 37 minutes. So that mean in the last 6 days my phone has gone to sleep for an average of 10 hours a day, and I'm a pretty heavy user. (146/24 = 6 days. 146 - 86 = 60 hours alseep. 60/6 = 10 hours asleep a day).

Edit: You said the phone is saying the screen is draining the battery. Is your screen staying on all the time? If you go to Settings > About phone > Battery > Battery Use, and click on the graph at the top, you can compare your awake time to screen on time since last charge. But you probably know whether or not your screen is staying on without having to do this.

Last edited:

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I've tried using the BetterBatteryStat app. I still don't know what the issue is. The thing I do most with the phone is text. I was using Hadncent for texting. I wasn't sure if that was the issue so I uninstalled and am now using GoSMS. After monitoring today, after 6 hours, I was down to 20% and noticed my phone today was staying awake. That wasn't happening before or at least that I know of. I don't think it's GoSMS, butat this point, i don't know what's up...smh

I also uninstalled JuiceDefender...I was told it doesn't work and stops things from running that should stay on.

Last edited:

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help with my issue, but sadly nothing seemed to help. I was still draining pretty fast even after "supposedly" getting a new battery from Sprint. I did a hard reset this morning so hopefully I can go all day without having to recharge my phone in the middle of the day.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help with my issue, but sadly nothing seemed to help. I was still draining pretty fast even after "supposedly" getting a new battery from Sprint. I did a hard reset this morning so hopefully I can go all day without having to recharge my phone in the middle of the day.

Let us know

SipperPhoto

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same issue the past week or so. At first I thought it was because I was on Instagram too much... but, even if I have it shut down, I lose 1/3 batter in just a couple hours.

Just seems there is some battery leak, somewhere. I'm on an all stock 3VO, so i'm not sure where else to go.

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well after doing a hard reset, fully charging my battery, then doing a battery pull...I still did not make it through the day without having to recharging my phone. After 5 hours of texting, a couple calls (about 30 min total) I was down to 40% at just after lunch. I don't know what options I have left now. Any suggestions out there?????

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Do a full factory reset. Then add your programs back on a few at a time until you see which ones might be causing it. I couldn't believe how long my battery lasted after a full reset.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you just need a new battery ... nevermind, I see that you said you got a new one in the OP. Do you have the sprint protection plan. Go to the store and raise a stink until they give you a new phone. (Sorry, i'm out of ideas)

MrTyC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i just might be back at the Sprint store tonight...new battery, a full reset...and just this morning after 15-20 texts, i lost 15% in an hour and a half....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay