I bought a new SD card (32GB). When I switched I plugged my SD card into my computer (Win7) and copied everthing off of it. Then I put everything onto the new SD card.

Now when I go to the Gallery all of my albums, pictures, and videos are gone!?!?!?!?! If I use a folder browser (like Astro), I can find them on the SD card and open them manually, but the Gallery isn't recognizing them. (They are at /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA) HELP!

Also, is there anything else that I could have missed when switching SD cards? I've heard something about a /data folder that you can't see???
    04-13-2012 04:48 PM
    from the home screen go Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Gallery and press Clear Data then go back into the Gallery app and let it load
    jean15paul likes this.
    04-13-2012 06:04 PM
    from the home screen go Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Gallery and press Clear Data then go back into the Gallery app and let it load
    Thanks for the tip 84guy, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I went to Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Gallery and pressed Clear Data. Then I went back into the Gallery app, and it said, "Searching for photos and videos", but then it still didn't load the stuff that I transferred from the old SD card ... only the new pictures I've taken

I went back into Astro and verified that the old photos and videos are still there. Thery are in the same place as the new pictures, mnt/sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA. And the camera app knows they are there enough to continue the naming sequence (i.e. the last pic from the old SD card is "IMAG0133" and the first pic taken since installing the new SD card is "IMAG0134".

Please help!
    04-16-2012 04:25 PM
    make a folder in the root of the sd card called Pictures and move them there and try again
    04-16-2012 06:20 PM
    make a folder in the root of the sd card called Pictures and move them there and try again
    Thanks I'll try that on my PC when I get home today.

One question. Should have have formatted the SD Card before I started using it. I'm wondering if it's a FAT32 vs NTFS formatting issue. Is that a possibility? Does anyone have experience with this?
    04-17-2012 02:45 PM
    I'm guessing you have already tried this, but in gallery app, click menu button and select "show/hide albums". Make sure the album you want displayed is selected (checked)

Regarding the formatting of the SD card, I usually format the microSD card in the phone before anything else, but since Astro is able to read the card, it probably is formatted correctly.
    04-17-2012 03:08 PM
    Yeah, I've click the "show/hide albums" button, but thanks. It wouldn't surprise me if it was something that simple.

So the IRS kept me from playing with this last night, but at least my taxes are done. (I e-filed them at 11:30 pm PDT ... except I'm in the central time zone, so it was really 1:30 am local time.) I'll play with my SD card tonight.
    04-18-2012 11:54 AM
    So backed up my new SD card, formatted it, put everything back on it, and my Gallery works again. I have 2 theories.
    1. Something was weird with the formatting. It was already FAT32, but reformatting it seemed to solve the problem (unlikely)
    2. There's a bug with Sense where if you don't go into the gallery while it's empty then it won't search for and find all the pics on the SD card. (The first time, I didn't go into the Gallery until a week later and I had already taken a couple of pics.) (slightly less unlikely)

I don't really know, but I'm just glad that I got my Gallery working. Unfortunately I broke Dead Space in the process. Some file either didn't copy or got corrupted. I think I'm gonna have to reinstall. Trying to figure out a way to avoid losing my progress.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
    04-19-2012 02:06 PM
    Glad the gallery is working now! (sorry to hear about the dead space progress though)
    04-19-2012 02:24 PM
    Is the card class 4? If not you will have issues with gallery and moving apps to sd card.
    04-19-2012 07:27 PM
    Is the card class 4? If not you will have issues with gallery and moving apps to sd card.
    eh? What's so special about class 4 VS Class 6/10 ?
    04-20-2012 08:45 AM
    Yeah, it's a class 4 card
    04-23-2012 03:27 PM
    I just had to fight with this over the weekend, while copying, it would copy the folders, but they'll be empty inside, then ill get constant errors even if I selected them individually to transfer over, I did a full format, Clear data, nothing worked.
    It was a Sandisk Class 6 32GB, I sent it back, going to give the Topram a shot, I've seen people have success with it here
    04-24-2012 02:02 AM

# what issues are you talking about for cards over class 4 type?
    04-24-2012 02:44 AM
    Regarding the formatting of the SD card, I usually format the microSD card in the phone before anything else, but since Astro is able to read the card, it probably is formatted correctly.
    # might sound sily but how to format the card in your phone?
    04-24-2012 02:46 AM
    # might sound sily but how to format the card in your phone?
    menu, settings, sd & Phone storage, unmount SD card, <wait a second or so for unmount to complete>, Erase SD card
    04-24-2012 09:19 AM
    # what issues are you talking about for cards over class 4 type?
    Maybe philb meant it should be at least a class 4, i.e. could be problems with class 2.
    @philb, is that what you meant?
    04-24-2012 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD