Is it too late to buy this phone?

sayrooldh06

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This phone is really cheap right now, and I'm looking at jumping the android wagon. This HTC evo 3d, sensation and galaxy nexus are my choices. Any ideas if this still is great?

spaceosc

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Evo 3D is good hardware but with so many better offering out or ready to be out. i would not recommend or buy an EVO 3D. i owned it from day one with no actual hardware issues and still was left wanting. the dpii for the screen is wrong so items look smaller than on other 4.3 inch screens, the screen sucks up alot of juice even at its lowest settings, 3d is nice for watching 3d movies... camera is not very good, takes blurry pictures more time than not, battery barely last a day with casual use. 4G isnt as good for me as it was with an original evo 4g, and the voice quality was always awful. its also more narrow than other 4.3 inch screens making the keyboard smaller... getting a bigger keyboard was the main reason for getting the biggest phone at the time. honestly nexus is better, has more devs and will have more accessories. if u wanna buy it used get it off someone on here who is ready to jump ship.

its also a brick, look at it against other phones and youll see its heavier and much thicker than most new offerings, its annoying since for being thicker and heavier u don't get more battery and u dont get a bigger screen... all u get is black plastic.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been quite happy with my EVO 3D (bought it last July). It has the horsepower to run anything currently out on the Google Play store. Sure it doesn't have the latest specs, but take any phone over six months old and you'll be in the same boat.

The choice all comes down to a few things you need to consider:

1. Carrier/Operator: I assume you're on Sprint and wish to stay with Sprint.

2. If you're out of contract and willing to renew, you can get some good deals on the new generation of phones: EVO 4G LTE, etc.

3. The Galaxy Nexus offers a decent "pure" Android experience, and you get the latest version of Android (relatively right away). The EVO 3D is still waiting for an official update to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but it's coming (probably after the EVO 4G LTE is released). Of course, you can always put a custom ROM image on the phone, if you don't want to wait for ICS.

With all that said, I am satisfied enough with my EVO 3D that I'm seriously considering skipping this new generation of phones on Sprint and waiting until next year when their full LTE implementation (800MHz spectrum) is closer to fruition. The EVO 4G LTE that is coming (this month or next) will only support 1900MHz LTE, which won't be as good as the 800MHz spectrum coverage that will come once Sprint finishes decommissioning the old Nextel network and re-purposing the spectrum for use with LTE. It's a gamble either way because I have no idea how well (if at all) LTE will cover where I live/work.

If you're moving to Android from another platform, do yourself a favor and don't go cheap with your phone purchase. Get the best phone that you can afford. The cheaper phones have design choices that sometimes compromise the Android experience (either not enough memory, storage, or battery life, or a shoddy interface). Specs alone don't tell the whole story. Every phone has its own shortcomings, so do your homework. I've seen plenty of people with cheap Android phones that weren't satisfied with the experience. Then they look at my EVO 3D and say "I didn't know Android could do that. I wish I had gotten THAT phone."

I'm not telling you to go out and spend a fortune on the latest/greatest. (I got my EVO 3D last year for $60--After selling back my EVO 4G and renewing my contract.) I won't tell you which phone to buy. That is a personal choice that only you can decide, based on what works for you, and your preferences. I can only tell you that each of the phones you're considering have their own shortcomings and benefits, but they all offer a decent Android experience once you tweak them to your preferences.

Good luck.

Reactions: cosmos0001

fathom39

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
its annoying since for being thicker and heavier u don't get more battery and u dont get a bigger screen... all u get is black plastic.

My EVO 3D has a nicely textured, black plastic back cover attached to a *metal* body. I know this for a fact because I dropped it once while running and the frame got scuffed and gouged like metal does. The entire phone feels stout and not plasticky.

I wouldn't buy one of these on two year deal. I'm disaapointed enough that the phone was offered for only ten months. Look on craig list and you might find new ones in the box being sold in the low $200 range. I did that myself last December for a replacement phone and we now have three 3Ds in our family. They all run smoothly and we've had zero hardware problems. One thing that bothers me is the font size is small on many standard apps (e.g., contacts and texting) but I've read that Ice Cream Sandwich allows font size changes.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I am all most done with mine. I will be selling mine off within a few weeks I think. You can always PM me if interested. Otherwise I will be posting it in the market place. I love the phone but due to my new place I dont get great signal from Sprint. So I will be moving to a GSM phone. (Prepaid ATT Gnex.)

It is a great device though! I have no issues with mine. I bought an Otterbox case and never looked back! CPU is still fast and the screen IMO still looks awesome. Even by today standards!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The Evo 3D is a really good phone (except for the camera and the external speaker), but I would not recommend getting it with a 2 year contract. The hardware is solid enough to handle just about everything that you can throw at it now, but it a year or so, I'm sure it will start to feel slow and laggy. Also it will get the ICS update soon, but I'm sure that the last major update it will get.

If you're gonna be locked into a phone for 2 years, I'd definitely recommend something newer with better specs. Something more "future proof" like a GNex, Evo LTE, or SG3.

On the other hand, if you're going to buy a used one unsubsidized then it should treat you really well for the next 9 months to a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888