Less battery drain + Almost AOSP customized

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery Drain

Since a lot of people really don't know this I will explain to the best of my ability.
There are 7 main contributing factors to battery life.
1. Apps running in background
2. Screen brightness
3. Auto Sync
4. 3G mobile data
5. 4G mobile data
6. GPS on/off
7. Your usage of the phone.

In any instance you should first and foremost see what apps or hardware functions are using your battery. ( Go to the power settings ) There should be 3 main ones that should never leave (display, OS, and Cell Standby). Everything else is what determines how long your battery last.

Now here's how to get the most out of your battery.
Apps running in the background that you don't use, or need, get rid of them.
Screen brightness and duration should be set to where you're comfortable using your device.
Auto Sync should be turned off if you don't want your device constantly searching while you're not using it.
3G/4G mobile data should be turned on or off at your discretion in tandem with the Auto-Sync feature. (If you're not using data why do you need a radio sucking on battery life?)
GPS can be turned off until you need it in specific apps. (Another radio that sucks power.)
And last but not least, if you're constantly checking your phone, your phone can't sleep (standby mode). Standby uses way less battery than having to be on constantly.

I hope this helps as I have taken two months to study usage and options on this particular phone.

PS, Airplane mode is your friend. It cuts off all radios and that includes Cellular. You can re-enable Wi-Fi in this mode for internet access.

Almost AOSP Customization

For this you will need a few things.
First you need to download a Home Manager.
Then you need to pick an alternative launcher. ( Examples: ADW, Holo Launcher, Nova )
Next depending on the launcher you choose you might need some icon packs. ( Most will tell you in the description which launchers they are compatible with )

Now each launcher is different and they have different customization available.
The ones I used as examples have free and paid versions.

After downloading the apps open the home manager and select the new launcher. Read and customize to your liking. Then reopen the home manager app and this is where you maximize your phone's performance. In the settings menu of the home app you enable autokill, then you back up to the main screen and tap and hold the launchers that you won't be using including the factory one which should be labeled Sense. Select autokill and repeat if necessary. This autokill function helps keep launchers you're not using from constantly running in the background and it will also give a pretty good estimate of how much RAM each launcher is using. (Note: There are times when you'll see Sense running at reduced RAM usage, this is because of certain core apps being integrated into Sense, don't worry the manager will autokill Sense when those apps stop.) Now there is a button to help you select your default launcher at the top of the screen. Select the one you'll be using. This is so you don't get a choose your launcher pop up every time you hit the home button.

Once you have all these steps completed you should have a fast phone with little to no slow down or lag, and a decent amount of RAM available for graphic intense games or apps

Remember, Android is all about CHOICE. Use it or lose it.

Update:
People, widgets are your friends too. Use them to quickly switch between settings, so you're not going back and forth to the settings menu.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair