Can't move apps to SD

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm running out of space on my phone, so I started moving apps to my SD card. However, now it seems my phone is having problems moving apps to the SD card. It reports the SD card as having 2.6GB free (it's an 8GB card). But, when I try to move a 168MB app to my SD card, it tells me there's not enough space. This is really confusing. I took out the SD card, backed up the contents, reformatted (FAT32), and put the contents back in, and STILL it reports there's no space to move apps, despite the fact that there's 2.6GB free as reported by my phone and my computer.

Can anyone help me out or give me an explanation why this isn't working?

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
make sure the app can be moved. not all apps are written with that permission. check out an app called app2sd.

It doesn't do anything. I tried a few apps called "app2sd" and all they really do is just take me to the app info screen I could access through settings anyway. Even if app2sd marked them as movable, when I tried to move it still told me I couldn't do it, even with all the free space.

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's another little detail that might help. It won't let me move an app that is 160MB large, but if I move several other apps that are all much smaller, but together add up to more than 160MB, it will move all those apps just fine. What's up with that?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What is that 160MB app? Does that app support the ability to move to sd? (not all apps can be moved)

Also, you indicated you reformatted the card - how did you do that? Did you do that on your computer?

rsanchez1

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's pretty much any app over 160MB (as far as I can tell, don't know what the actual lower limit is). The ones on my phone that I can't move are ones that I got on the indie bundles: Anomaly HD, Swords and Soldiers, and Zen Bound 2. As far as I know, they don't have it set so you can't move to SD. I can still press the move to SD button for those apps. It just doesn't do anything and tells me there's no space (when there are still 2.6GB free).