Can't hear phone calls unless it's through rear speaker or headphones

sundevil98

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
How do I solve the problem of not being able to hear phone calls unless I'm on "speakerphone" or have a set of headphones plugged in?

I think the problem started a few days ago when I was listening to some music through the headphone jack. Ever since then (I don't use the phone much, so I'm not certain) I haven't been able to take or make a call without using speakerphone mode, or plugging in some headphones. When I unplug the headphones, I can't hear anything through the front (screen side) speaker that's normally used for phone conversations.

I've tried plugging in and unplugging a set of headphones over and over again, hoping it would switch back. But, I haven't had any luck. I've tried a hard reset as well, and that hasn't helped me either. I'm willing to open it up and see if I can fix it, but not sure what I'm looking for. So, I'm hoping someone can help out. If all else fails, I have an EVO 4g I can use until I'm due for a new phone.

I'm sure this has happened to others before. But, searching for "phone speaker" doesn't bring up much useful stuff (I'm not good at searching the right terms I'm sure)..

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been dealing with the same issue. The first time it was a Google Voice issue...strange but ended up being true. I had to uninstall it completely, remove my phone from the service, reboot, and test...works, then reinstall everything...anything less will not affect issue...per Sprint techs which I tested and is true. This worked for almost a year, now it is doing it again and the same fix is no longer working. I guess I will have to do a full backup and have it dropped off for repairs.

cmahy

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
One hail Mary you can try. Spray the headphones plug with a bit of WD40 & then plug + unplug (headphone jack) multiple times. In the off chance this is a stuck hardware thing, this might help.

Otherwise, probably a warranty repair & nothing software can properly fix.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If it is indeed a blown earpiece, as IAmSixNine suggested it may be, I can say it was an easy hardware repair at a sprint store. One day I made a call and the sound in the earpiece was extremely muffled. I thought it was just the connection. After trying calls a few more times, I realized it was likely a hardware issue. I took it to the sprint store and in about an hour the earpiece was replaced. The best part is that the store I went to didn't even charge me for the repair, even though I do not have insurance and had the phone was no longer under warranty.

April C

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to the person that suggested downloading soundabout!!!!!! Your suggestion
was not only short and simple....but it WORKED!!!!:).....

James Lyons1

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
try this first.push the top of ya phone speaker by the headset hole push the case in that area.if you can now hear its the screw in the top that came loose.open it up and tighten with a small hex driver.i had to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

try this first.push the top of ya phone speaker by the headset hole push the case in that area.if you can now hear its the screw in the top that came loose.open it up and tighten with a small hex driver.i had to do it.

AKMANJIT

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks woodlink,i had a problem with my HTC Desire X,i was not able to hear the voice during the call but when i put the phone in speaker i was able to hear.I did hard reset but still no luck,Then I read your message and installed soundhound,now i am to hear the voice.Earlier i was hearing the radio and unplugged the earphone without turning off the radio thats when my problem started.

Scarlet Gray

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem like everyone else. I downloaded SoundAbout and it worked!!! I selected my phone call audio to 'earpice' and then it was fixed.

Gamecock13

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a brand new Droid X to replace my old one and it had the same problem until I downloaded the App. Now it works perfect. Will it last or do you have to buy the Pro version? If that's the case I can send the phone back for a replacement.

Thanks

Gary Smith13

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had a problem where I can't hear caller nor can caller hear me unless on speaker phone. Found it's related to blue tooth. My wife and I noticed it correlated to when we paired a hands free device for the cars. I was able to "fix" it by turning off the bluetooth on each phone, then turning the phone off and back on. Now we can hear each other. Next step is to try with bluetooth on! Will let you know!

Nasir Uddin ACA

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
After a lot of findings finally i got it solved by your advice. Thanks a lot "Woodslink". But if i uninstalled the app the problem comes back again. Isn't there permanent solution of this without the third party application?!! -in Galaxy S 2

-Nasir Uddin

DJHamiltn

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. Try an app named SoundAbout.

You sir are a gem!!! i had the same issue, after flashing CM12 and a few other ROMS, i thought a drop on my phone caused the internal speaker to fail.
Downloaded the app, Changed the "Phone Call Audio....." to Earpiece and i can hear once again :)

Nupur Ghoshal

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
SoundAbout didn't work for me. Still can't hear anyone and they can't hear me unless I have the speakerphone on. Any ideas?
Also, I have the Pro version of SoundAbout. Do I need to use the fully licensed version?

Last edited:

VIPUL JADHAV

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
hey did u started having this problem after flashing cm12 or was it some other reason?? because i did when i flashed cm12 yesterday and now i can't hear anything unless i put it on loudspeaker!! & soundabout did worked for me too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke