Evo 3D weak and/or fluctuating signal - FIX (for all?)

zaphodalive

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Heya, I know there have been threads about weak signal on the Evo 3D but a lot of them are quite old so I thought I'd start a new one so new people that experience problems with their signal can find this more easily.

Anyway, my story: I've been using an old Nokia and an LG KU990 for ages, never had signal problems at my house. Finally decided to upgrade to a smartphone, bought an Evo 3D second hand, and the phone worked great EXCEPT that I could only get 0-2 bars of signal at home.

I couldn't think of any reason for it so googled to see if other people have experienced issues with signal on these phones, and found quite a few people have but solutions are few and far between. While trying to set up a VPN to my home network, I couldn't get it to connect because my signal was crap and I was beginning to give up on it. I ended up navigating to my mobile network settings for some reason (Menu -> Settings -> Mobile network) and noticed that my Network Mode was set to GSM / WCDMA Auto. I'm with Vodafone NZ which is GSM, so I decided to set the phone to GSM Only knowing full well that it wouldn't make any difference, I wasn't even really thinking just decided to change it.

Wouldn't you know it, full signal and no more signal fluctuations. I don't know what the hell the phone was doing before, but it was obviously confused about how to connect and by specifically selecting GSM it sorted that issue out.

So, not sure if this will be helpful for anyone, but if you are having signal issues with your Evo 3D in an area where other phones get perfectly good signal, check that setting and make it specific to what your carrier provides.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey