May 25, 2013
Visit site
Phone not rooted ----

I allowed Sprint OTA update to
ICS 4.0.3
Sense 3.6
version 2.95.651.6.7.710rd
kernel 3.0.16-g3a7b522........... SMP PREEMPT\

Now whenever I switch applications, or go to home screen, phone lags and I get an HTC screen, the a pop up that says: "Loading"

Note that this does not happen with Holo Launcher HD.
Ideas?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Phone not rooted ----

I allowed Sprint OTA update to
ICS 4.0.3
Sense 3.6
version 2.95.651.6.7.710rd
kernel 3.0.16-g3a7b522........... SMP PREEMPT\

Now whenever I switch applications, or go to home screen, phone lags and I get an HTC screen, the a pop up that says: "Loading"

Note that this does not happen with Holo Launcher HD.
Ideas?

Welcome to the forums!
I am not sure how, but you can try rebooting into recovery and clearing the phones cache. That may help with the lag.

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately he cannot clear the cache without a factory reset because the phone is not rooted.

A lot of cache problems happen after ota updates. Things get corrupted and the phone gets laggy. Unfortunately without root there is no way to clear the cache without a factory data reset. REALLY a bummer that the stock recovery doesn't support that feature :(

I know it's not ideal but it's likely your only option to fix those issues.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately he cannot clear the cache without a factory reset because the phone is not rooted.

A lot of cache problems happen after ota updates. Things get corrupted and the phone gets laggy. Unfortunately without root there is no way to clear the cache without a factory data reset. REALLY a bummer that the stock recovery doesn't support that feature :(

I know it's not ideal but it's likely your only option to fix those issues.

Stock recovery should have wipe cache partition.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That option isn't there on evo 3d. I know that some phones have that feature but it just doesn't exist on this device.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That option isn't there on evo 3d. I know that some phones have that feature but it just doesn't exist on this device.

It should be there. HTC just makes it harder to get into recovery. As in an extra two or three steps.
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to argue or anything but do you have the evo 3d? I know the phone pretty much like the back of my hand. The recovery is simple to get to but simply has no options. If you boot into the stock recovery all you see is a triangle with an exclamation point.

Unless there is some super secret menu within the stock recovery that I've never seen mentioned, I'm telling you, that feature isn't an option for us.

I think that wiping cache and also nandroid backups should be non root features on all phone. But alas, these are reasons people root.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to argue or anything but do you have the evo 3d? I know the phone pretty much like the back of my hand. The recovery is simple to get to but simply has no options. If you boot into the stock recovery all you see is a triangle with an exclamation point.

Unless there is some super secret menu within the stock recovery that I've never seen mentioned, I'm telling you, that feature isn't an option for us.

I think that wiping cache and also nandroid backups should be non root features on all phone. But alas, these are reasons people root.

Try this: How to Boot Into EVO 3D Bootloader - HBOOT

Or perhaps this: How to Get Into Boot Mode on the EVO | Chron.com

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That second link sounds interesting. I don't have the stock recovery but as soon as i get a chance I will look into it. I think it would be awesome if the 3vo has a clear cache option but I've never heard of it's existence.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The stock recovery does allow you to wipe /cache, HOWEVER, there is no way to wipe /data.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Benny! I've not messed around much in the stock recovery and have never heard anyone say that it's possible. I'm very much involved in the rooting community and know my way around the 3vo for sure, but it's amazing that there's always something new to learn no matter how much you know. I'm gonna have to test this out when I get a chance :)

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Came to the forum to post about whether it's "safe" to update to 4.0 now on this phone. I've been waiting patiently to update since the initial feedback on the update was so awful. This thread doesn't help ease my concerns.

Looks like I'll just stick to what I have until I get a new phone, whenever that may be.

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Came to the forum to post about whether it's "safe" to update to 4.0 now on this phone. I've been waiting patiently to update since the initial feedback on the update was so awful. This thread doesn't help ease my concerns.

Looks like I'll just stick to what I have until I get a new phone, whenever that may be.

Not sure what you mean but I'm running android 4.2.2 and this phone is better than the day I bought it. Updating can breathe new life into it...

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean but I'm running android 4.2.2 and this phone is better than the day I bought it. Updating can breathe new life into it...

He's talking about ICS, seems he's talking about the OTA update, not a ROM.

It all depends on how you look at it: Gamble and either love it or hate it and experience new options, or stay where you are, where you're used to.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums