Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Indeed the 3D switch ONLY toggles whether or not the camera app will take 3D pictures/video. It will not change the whole screen from 2D to 3D, though that would be interesting, the UI itself is not in 3D, just pictures and videos in the gallery

I'm hoping they add some 3D to at least the weather app or maybe lockscreens though!

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
main thing is just messing with the 3ds the 3d will get annoying to always be in 3d, and i knew figured the switch seen in all pics/vids was just camera toggle.

kzibart

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just like how the HDMI out on the EVO 4G was only for pictures and video but now has been "fixed" to support full time HDMI out, I could see some devs playing with that 2D/3D switch as well. It would be cool if regular apps or UI elements used 3D, but only if we could turn the effect on and off easily, and that switch seems like the perfect solution. I have high hopes for what will come of this device once the dev community gets their hands on it.

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Just like how the HDMI out on the EVO 4G was only for pictures and video but now has been "fixed" to support full time HDMI out, I could see some devs playing with that 2D/3D switch as well. It would be cool if regular apps or UI elements used 3D, but only if we could turn the effect on and off easily, and that switch seems like the perfect solution. I have high hopes for what will come of this device once the dev community gets their hands on it.

I agree, the door is open for big possibilities!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
its only to toggle 3d for the camera(s)....

watch the vids =P
That's right, it's there so you can quickly toggle between shooting 2D and shooting 3D, so people can take two versions of the same picture without having to drive through the menus each time.

The UI display is 2D only. I think some of the confusion is that the version of Sense on the Evo 3D has been described as "3D' -- it is in the sense that it maps the homescreens onto a cube you can spin around and uses other 3D graphics effects, but the display itself is 2D.

While the 3D camera only works in landscape mode because of the camera orientation, the screen displays 3D in landscape only as well. The lenticular lens or parallax barrier can only be set up in one orientation, so while they could have 3D displayed on the homescreens, you couldn't use it in portrait mode. Someone will probably put a lot of effort into making a 3D lockscreen/homescreen, but I don't think it will be worth HTC's time.

ARich91

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just hope with the Evo 3D's parallax barrier, that it doesn't have the same effect moving side to side as the 3DS does with the 3D effect enabled.

If it does that shifting display thing that the 3DS does (it's kind of difficult to explain), and you can't toggle the 3D display, that is a major deal breaker for me.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read anything about the screen being in 3D just video and pictures. Where did anyone see or read that the UI or the whole experience of this phone is in 3D? I'm interested in this when it comes out out not sure how i feel about it always being in 3D format all the time... If anyone can shead some light on this ... Thanks

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read anything about the screen being in 3D just video and pictures. Where did anyone see or read that the UI or the whole experience of this phone is in 3D? I'm interested in this when it comes out out not sure how i feel about it always being in 3D format all the time... If anyone can shead some light on this ... Thanks

It's not in 3D all the time, so you don't have to worry about that. I can't exactly link documentation where they state that, but if you watch videos, it's very obvious that the 3D effect is only turned on when viewing 3D videos and pictures in the gallery. While you can't see the 3D effect over the video, you can see a shift in how the screen displays suddenly, and plus when they're showcasing the rest of the phone's ui elements, the screen does not have the "doubled" look going on.

Not only that, but there are several videos floating around where the HTC employee was asked if any other aspects of the UI would be in 3D and they stated no, currently no part of the sense UI is 3D.

Also, in another thread talking about the parallax 3D barrier technology, someone reminded us that due to the way the tech works, you can only view 3D in landscape mode. Since most people use the phone in portrait for regular use, you're not going to see a large 3D overhaul of the UI.

Reactions: Emmexx

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
For the record, the UI isn't in 3D. When you take pictures/video in 3D it has 2 copies of it (one in 2D and one in 3D) the switch is only for the camera. The 3D games have a 3D on/off option in the game.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

aruth09

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sooo I'm thinking some one should turn the 2d/3d switch into a ringer switch. I don't think I'll use thhe 3d much and I love having a ringer switch on my palm pre. Just my 2 cents. I no that's not where this tread was going but it is about the switch.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sooo I'm thinking some one should turn the 2d/3d switch into a ringer switch. I don't think I'll use thhe 3d much and I love having a ringer switch on my palm pre. Just my 2 cents. I no that's not where this tread was going but it is about the switch.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

I'm pretty sure there is going to be an easy way to disable 3D in the menu settings so you don't have to disable it every time you play a new game or video.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance