Evo 3D pentile screen?

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I recently discovered that the Atrix 4g's qHD screen actually uses a pentile arrangement, causing it to (supposedly) lose a slight bit of sharpness. That got me wondering if HTC is planning to do the same with the Evo 3D. Does anyone happen to know or care to speculate?
Now, don't get me wrong, the Atrix screen still looks really nice, so I won't be too disappointed if HTC goes the same route... but, should they choose a traditional RGB subpixel layout, it seems the screen would be that much nicer. Like I said, the Atrix's screen is no slouch and I definitely preferred it to the Captivate's lower res pentile screen (I had them side by side in the AT&T store), but am just wondering if there's any info out there regarding this particular aspect of the Evo 3D.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have no proof one way or the other.

I would speculate that they will go with a traditional striped (RGB) subpixel layout. The reason I think that this is more likely than it was for the atrix is because at 4.3" the EVO3D is larger than the Atrix screen. This means that the EVO3D will have more space between pixels compared to the Atrix. Because of this extra space you could fit more subpixels in which is required if you are using a more traditional striped layout. This is similar to what happened (at least in part) with Samsung SuperAMOLED+ screen where they went from pentile to striped.

That of course was assuming there was some kind of density issue in the first place. The atrix uses a different pentile scheme than did samsung. they used a center white sub-pixel which in effect substantially increased the screen brightness without a huge impact to power consumption. It could be completely possible that Moto weighed both layouts and decided to go with the pentile one over the striped for some of the benefits it gave. Maybe HTC had to make a similar trade.

At the end of the day though, my money is on the striped layout.

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how the 3D stuff fits into the mix either. I think this is a case where we're just going to have to wait for the phone to come out to make a final spec judgement. Hopefully, HTC realizes the screen quality is paramount with the retina displays in Appleland and all the OLED derivatives.

Emmexx

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how the 3D stuff fits into the mix either. I think this is a case where we're just going to have to wait for the phone to come out to make a final spec judgement. Hopefully, HTC realizes the screen quality is paramount with the retina displays in Appleland and all the OLED derivatives.

Granted, the screen quality is king in some cases. However, I know a few people that moved from the iPhone to an Evo/Inspire and they never looked back as far as the screen resolution. Yeah, it may be somewhat more pixel dense, but the bigger real estate and quality build of the HTC Evo-ish design seems to work for them. From what I have seen of vids for this phone, the images appear to be real sharp and the Sense UI appears beautiful.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I know a few people that moved from the iPhone to an Evo/Inspire and they never looked back as far as the screen resolution. Yeah, it may be somewhat more pixel dense, but the bigger real estate and quality build of the HTC Evo-ish design seems to work for them.

I'm sure I'd be happy either way. It was only because I was in an AT&T store with the iPhone 4, Atrix, and Captivate side by side that I began thinking about the issue. The Atrix screen looked veeery nice, especially next to the captivate (in terms of resolution and brightness - the Captivate still had richer colors), but not not quite as nice as the retina display. An extra .3 - .5 inches of screen at the same resolution does make a perceptible difference, so it'd be nice to have more subpixels to counteract that size increase.

I was almost sold on the Nexus S 4G (yes, even with its older specs...) because I'm honestly sick of waiting for updates and I am really starting to hate Sense, but after seeing the pentile SAMOLED next to the qHD I'm starting to reconsider. I guess I'm just hoping that the Evo's qHD is even better than the Atrix. If so, I probably won't bother with the NS 4G and will resort to rooting the 3D to get rid of sense.

On another note, does anybody know much about parallax barriers? Might this help us figure it out? That is, would the parallax barrier require one or the other (or even some other) type of subpixel layout? Also, wouldn't watching something in 3D essentially half the resolution (due to the way the parallax barrier works)?

Last edited:

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
That of course was assuming there was some kind of density issue in the first place.

It seems to me (though I'm admittedly not incredibly knowledgeable on the subject :p) that if Apple can cram 960 x 640 pixels into a 3.5" screen, then Motorola should've had no problem fitting 960 x 540 into a 4 incher. I doubt it was done of necessity. I think it more likely that it was done to provide better battery life. They also provided a huge battery, so that was clearly a major focus for them. If only HTC would start taking the battery issue seriously as well...

Emmexx

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me (though I'm admittedly not incredibly knowledgeable on the subject :p) that if Apple can cram 960 x 640 pixels into a 3.5" screen, then Motorola should've had no problem fitting 960 x 540 into a 4 incher. I doubt it was done of necessity. I think it more likely that it was done to provide better battery life. They also provided a huge battery, so that was clearly a major focus for them. If only HTC would start taking the battery issue seriously as well...

HTC did up the battery to 1730mAh. The asynchronous dual-core will help minimize battery life as well. We will see how it pans out. As long as it lasts a day for me, I'm golden.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
HTC did up the battery to 1730mAh. The asynchronous dual-core will help minimize battery life as well. We will see how it pans out. As long as it lasts a day for me, I'm golden.

haha, i think you mean either "maximize battery life" or "minimize battery consumption" ;). But i agree, larger battery + new 45nm processor = better battery life

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
haha, i think you mean either "maximize battery life" or "minimize battery consumption" ;). But i agree, larger battery + new 45nm processor = better battery life

Good catch :p I do think HTC may have gone the "minimize battery life" route on the OG Evo, though...
I guess it won't be that big of a problem to charge periodically throughout the day, assuming the Evo 3D's charging port doesn't break and Sprint insist that it was my fault for "misusing" the phone... (for the record, their idea of misusing the phone is doing absolutely anything while it's charging - ironic for a phone that has to be charged 3 times a day). Hopefully quality control will be better this time around; I definitely have a sour taste left in my mouth regarding my first HTC experience. I do think that activating/deactivating the parallax barrier (that's how it will work, right?) might contribute to extra battery drain, though, so I'm thinking the battery life will probably turn out to be about the same as the current Evo. Maybe the Atrix style pentile layout would actually be desirable...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12