EVO 3D and Ice Cream Sandwich

leo1977

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the 3D will eventual support ice cream sandwich? I am torn between hanging on my Evo 4G, getting a 3D, or waiting longer for the next evolution of the Evo. The 3D effect is a complete gimmick for me. I am more interested in the specs and on going software support. I have zero issues with my EVO 4G and want something newer just because it is already a year old.

gearjunkeez

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
With the phone being released in the Summer, and Ice Cream Sandwich estimated to hit 4Q 2011, even if there is not an official release at that time I'm sure the devs will have a ROM for it, just like Gingerbread on the original EVO. if you are going to try and wait for the latest phone to match with the latest software, you will be waiting forever as both change constantly.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on Google's keynote yesterday about OS upgrades, the 3D will definitely be getting official ice cream.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I would bet that anything that is a "high end" phone that has released since the beginning of the year will get it. The 4G might, but I wouldn't put money on it. 3D is probably a lock to be one of the first to get an upgrade because Sprint will want their flagship phone to get updated quick (this is assuming that they don't go the way of Verizon and have a new "flagship" every 3 months)

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would bet that anything that is a "high end" phone that has released since the beginning of the year will get it. The 4G might, but I wouldn't put money on it. 3D is probably a lock to be one of the first to get an upgrade because Sprint will want their flagship phone to get updated quick (this is assuming that they don't go the way of Verizon and have a new "flagship" every 3 months)

Money says the Nexus S 4G sees it before the 3D. :D

Edit: Or maybe not. I forgot about the new nexus rumored to drop around the same time.

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Ginger-on-Hero action here!

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the 3D will eventual support ice cream sandwich? I am torn between hanging on my Evo 4G, getting a 3D, or waiting longer for the next evolution of the Evo. The 3D effect is a complete gimmick for me. I am more interested in the specs and on going software support. I have zero issues with my EVO 4G and want something newer just because it is already a year old.

Here's the thing, never wait for the best phone IN THE FUTURE, only for what's the best RIGHT NOW. If you keep on doing that, you will never buy a phone, considering the pace that android is moving at. The only exception to this will be if there's going to be a new phone you want to buy that is just a couple of months away.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing, never wait for the best phone IN THE FUTURE, only for what's the best RIGHT NOW. If you keep on doing that, you will never buy a phone, considering the pace that android is moving at. The only exception to this will be if there's going to be a new phone you want to buy that is just a couple of months away.

I agree for the most part but I think its not quite as black and white as that. It is never good to wait on a rumor of a phone that may drop in 6 months. But on the same token I don't think its smart to buy a phone now instead of wait 1 or 2 months for its successor to come out. Most people are on the 22 month upgrade cycle and its worth waiting 2 months for a generational updated phone instead of whats out now (and has been for 9+ months). Even if you are on a 12 month upgrade cycle, like me :), It would be worth it to wait up to 2 months for the next gen phones.

I do understand that people's needs are different and there are those who look for good enough, instead of latest and greatest and in those cases all bets are off.

Edit: It looks like I may be agreeing with you in full :p I think I misinterpreted your post the first time around.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree for the most part but I think its not quite as black and white as that. It is never good to wait on a rumor of a phone that may drop in 6 months. But on the same token I don't think its smart to buy a phone now instead of wait 1 or 2 months for its successor to come out. Most people are on the 22 month upgrade cycle and its worth waiting 2 months for a generational updated phone instead of whats out now (and has been for 9+ months). Even if you are on a 12 month upgrade cycle, like me :), It would be worth it to wait up to 2 months for the next gen phones.

I do understand that people's needs are different and there are those who look for good enough, instead of latest and greatest and in those cases all bets are off.

Edit: It looks like I may be agreeing with you in full :p I think I misinterpreted your post the first time around.

I'm also on a 1 year contract! :) The bad thing about my upgrade availibility (which is in December) is that it will make the Evo 3D half a year old when I buy it :( (but I'm not too worried as the Evo 3D is pretty cutting-edge) but it will probably be around a couple of months if the Epic 2 comes out :)

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on a 1 year contract! :) The bad thing about my upgrade availibility (which is in December) is that it will make the Evo 3D half a year old when I buy it :( (but I'm not too worried as the Evo 3D is pretty cutting-edge) but it will probably be around a couple of months if the Epic 2 comes out :)

Actually, the few months wait isn't a bad thing. That's what I'm planning on doing, to see if there's any issues or problems.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Money says the Nexus S 4G sees it before the 3D. :D

Edit: Or maybe not. I forgot about the new nexus rumored to drop around the same time.

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Ginger-on-Hero action here!

The Nexus S 4G will definitely be getting it before anything other than a new Nexus.

I don't really consider it a "Sprint" phone even though it's on Sprint because any updates for it would be pushed out when Google is ready for it and not when Sprint/Samsung feel we should get it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is the big question though, ics is supposed to have the "holographic" UI of honeycomb, right? It's supposed to unite one OS for every form factor, so what will HTC do? Keep sense on it, or let us enjoy the stock Google UI? Granted, we only know what honeycomb looks like on tablets right now, but if ics really gives as the UI from honeycomb, what will HTC do? I guess the honeycomb update to the EVO view (htc flyer tablet) might give us an idea, but it is interesting to note that neither Motorola nor Samsung bother in putting touchwiz or motoblur on their big tablets. Time will tell.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Based on Google's keynote yesterday about OS upgrades, the 3D will definitely be getting official ice cream.

Uh, all they said is they started a consortium of sorts with a goal of 18 months of updates. They haven't even work out many details... I wouldn't hold my breath for this to come into play maybe a year from now.

migs

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has more info on ICS for the EVO 3D, hope Sprint doesnt slow down the update...

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Just curious if anyone has more info on ICS for the EVO 3D, hope Sprint doesnt slow down the update...

no one knows... it's still months away. I'd argue HTC might slow it down too to get sense up to speed with it, depending on the changes. It will certainly be interesting how that pans out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac