My EVO 3D review

slag02

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hello Everyone -

I tweeted earlier today that I got to play with an EVO 3D at Futurallia 2011 here in Kansas City, and I was asked to write a review about it in the forums so here goes nothing.

First off it is Light! - seems much lighter than the original EVO - but it could just be my perception - the screen also appears to be slightly narrower but still Large and In charge, but something about it just didn't have the "heft" of the O.G EVO

The Screen is Crisp and clear and quite easy on the eyes. The Home screen did not really seem 3D even with the 3d Switch on. I have been one to say from the start that the 3D aspect seems quite gimmicky but my mind has changed just a big since messing with it. Taking Pictures in 3D - Gimmick - I wasn't even able to MMS a 3D picture without the phone asking to convert to 2D, and pictures while in 3D left me with a "Meh" feeling....

Playing Games - NOT gimmick - the Spiderman 3D game that was on the phone was a BLAST to play and the 3D Screen was quite superb at playing it .

Watching 3D videos on youtube was hit or miss - you had to find the right viewing angle and some of the videos just made my head hurt - YMMV - perhaps the Blockbuster/netflix in 3d will prove me wrong on this - I was not able to test it..

The phone is FAST - no Lag... home screen transitions and opening apps were QUICK - faster than any other device I have messed with.

Last but not least - FULL HDMI Mirroring out of the box... [ See video below] .

I stopped by the booth 4/5x to keep playing with it - I Love it and Can't wait til it can be mine. - Not only because I'm a phone addict and I need something new but because the phone is just that good..

All in all - the EVO 3D is what the EVO should have been at launch ( except the 3d part) - and a Great device if you're looking for something new... - It will be hands down the best phone on Sprint when its released.

here are some Pix and the video I took of the Full HDMI mirroring...

Hope this was helpful to some of you

5738616605_bbc4cd7997_z.jpg

5739164962_60252bedb2_z.jpg

5739164868_ec04825f3f_z.jpg

(Yes that is the New Sprint Motorola Global Device in the background - but it wasn't charged and I wasn't that interested in it :p )

Link to Video I took..
YouTube - ‪Full HDMI mirroring out of the box with the EVO 3D‬‏

EDIT: Additional Pix

Additional EVO 3D pictures -
The # is 1927
5741274955_60b4ccba89_z.jpg

5741827548_b0b6a50ee4_z.jpg

5741827456_002cd245f7_z.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed - It was fun to play with and to get posted on the front of Android Central!

Thanks everyone for the comments

And yes yes yes.. I know the argument about Benchmarks etc... but I also know you guys like to see them...

Last edited:

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nice, you answered a couple of questions I was having about the 3D screen.

I'm actually expecting the 3D to be a HUGE selling point for your average non techie consumer.

Gimmicks seem to sell pretty well. They called the Wii and Kinect gimmicks and they have broke multiple records if I am not mistaken.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
First of thanks for sharing this with us! :)

The homescreen won't look 3d even with the 3d switch on because none of the UI is in 3d, only games, videos and pictures taken in 3d mode will be.

I too am afraid that I will get a headache from watching 3d movies, so I think the only time I will use 3d in any way shape or form is for pictures.

Of course the phone is going to ask you to convert a 3d picture to a 2d picture before sending it to another phone, from what I read, the only time a 3d pic can be send in 3d is if it is send to another Evo 3d. What's the point of sending a 3d image to someone that doesn't have the screen capable of displaying it in 3d?

Glad to hear that the device is fast with no lag, that's what I was hoping for. did you experience any crashes?

Were you able to take a peek to see how much on phone storage we get? Do we get 3 gb or more of space for app installation? I know that a lot of apps can be moved to the SD card, but even when doing that I can't install all the apps I want on my Evo 4g at the same time.

Did you try a live wallpaper? Just wondering how they would look like seeing how homescreens do the cube thing now and don't just slide from side to side as they do on the Evo 4g.

Thanks again, also for the video!

slag02

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
@Slayix -

I agree - I had been of the mind that the entire thing was a gimmick - but after playing with it... I can see some good potential...

@Jackietreehorn - Love the Name BTW... - Screen is a bit crisper - I believe the Pixel density is increased but brightness seemed on par with other HTC devices like the EVO

@MannyZ28 - [ I had an 82 Camaro btw - not a Z but custom.. lots of fun.. ANYWAY..]

I Still imagined that the phone would send the 3d Image - maybe I wanted to send it to a LG 3d or whatever.. - and if you have a non 3d phone well the pic looks funny..

Regarding the crashes -
When I first picked up the phone I tried the camera but it kept crashing - I rebooted it and it was working well. - The HTC Sense 3.0 gives you the option to reboot when pressing the powerbutton -something I wasn't aware of...

I did not check the space but The Specs published have lised 4GB of on board storage...

I did not try the live wall papers - mainly i guess because I never use them.. but the Spinning cube was quite cool when spinning it really really fast lol

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
can you tell me your honest opinion on how the back looks in real life. In all the pictures I see that red border around the camera makes it just ugly.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
can you tell me your honest opinion on how the back looks in real life. In all the pictures I see that red border around the camera makes it just ugly.

LOL, you're still harping about the back of the phone.... good thing you spend most of the time looking at the front!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i think i'll save my upgrade for the EVO 2012. the EVO 3D just does not seem to be enough of an upgrade from my original EVO for me to burn my upgrade on.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LOL, you're still harping about the back of the phone.... good thing you spend most of the time looking at the front!

Yes I am, I can't believe, Sprint/HTC could possibly screw that up that bad. I mean after seeing the Sensation looking like one of the best phones on the market I'm confused.

craigf#AC

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Now I just need to convince Sprint to give me the full subsidized price instead of this $75 off nonsense. At that price, it'd actually be cheaper for me to cancel our lines, pay the contract cancellation fee, and the re-sign up just to get the subsidized price. Which is insane when you think about it.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
How was the camera quality??? EVO had the worst camera quality unless you were in a nice full sunny day.

Same with video...how was the indoor quality? iPhone 4 did such a better job at this, I'm hoping this isn't a problem with the new EVO 3D

XxViperNYCxX

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am, I can't believe, Sprint/HTC could possibly screw that up that bad. I mean after seeing the Sensation looking like one of the best phones on the market I'm confused.

I wouldnt worry about the back, HTC is going to have another case including the kickstand like the original EVO that most likelly will cover the back.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt worry about the back, HTC is going to have another case including the kickstand like the original EVO that most likelly will cover the back.

Ya thats why I'm having a problem with this. I never put cases on phones. They are big enough these days, no reason to add any bulk to them. I have not had a case on any smartphone and I have had them for 7 years and never droped a single one just in case you want to start trashing right away.

XxViperNYCxX

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ya thats why I'm having a problem with this. I never put cases on phones. They are big enough these days, no reason to add any bulk to them. I have not had a case on any smartphone and I have had them for 7 years and never droped a single one just in case you want to start trashing right away.

Your getting defensive for no reason now, just helping youuu out. I wish they can just come up with a replacement batery door that has the hinge attached to it, a 2 in 1. It would be slimer, which is a factor that just like you I also like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888