05-26-2011 10:36 PM
107 12345
tools
    Not over yet.
    Defiantly good news. Hopefully they've seen the light and will change they're bootloader policy.
    05-24-2011 07:15 PM
    Without someone that works at HTC leaking an HBOOT that does NOT have these protections like happened for the Thunderbolt, there is no known way to get around it whatsoever without brute forcing the keys, which would take somewhere around 250,000 years for 256bit keys.
    Not if you guess right the first time
    jaydeebee24 likes this.
    05-24-2011 07:25 PM
    Without someone that works at HTC leaking an HBOOT that does NOT have these protections like happened for the Thunderbolt, there is no known way to get around it whatsoever without brute forcing the keys, which would take somewhere around 250,000 years for 256bit keys.
    Yeah, and by that time Ice Cream Sandwhich will probably be "coming soon."
    05-24-2011 07:45 PM
    Toast has said he will be getting an EVO 3D...do we all really think this thing wont be cracked open and flush with ROM's, CM7, etc etc?

I'm not expert but I'd venture that the device is too popular for that to happen.
    toast & the best devs at xda will not be able to bypass encryption. just because htc responded does not mean the phone will suddenly shipped unlocked.
    05-24-2011 08:17 PM
    Defiantly good news. Hopefully they've seen the light and will change they're bootloader policy.
    they may change it but maybe not till after the evo3d.
    05-24-2011 08:17 PM
    As long as I have access to rooted apps I'll be happy. If I hate sense I'll put launcherpro on.
    05-24-2011 08:18 PM
    hit up the twitter, @htc #youlockwewalk
    05-24-2011 08:24 PM
    This should be added to the original post:

Express your feelings by contacting HTC.

Mark_Baker@htc.com Senior Director Enterprise Business Unit Americas
    Cher_Wang@htc.com Chairman
    John_Wang@htc.com Chief Marketing Officer, HTC Corporation
    Keith_Nowak@htc.com Senior Public Relations Manager at HTC 425-679-5328
    Fred_Liu@htc.com COO of HTC
    HT_Cho@htc.com Board Member of HTC
    Peter_Chou@htc.com CEO
    Lotus_Chan@htc.com VP HTC
    Horace_Luke@htc.com Chief Innovation Officer

Brent Groome, Chief Executive-Customer Operations, at 843-369-8393 or brent.groome@htcinc.net

HTC Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/HTC

Twitter:
    Twitter

Petition:
    HTC Bootloaders and NAND | groubal complaints
    05-24-2011 08:30 PM
    This is something that has me a little worried. I want a phone that i can hack till my hearts content, but it must also be super high on specs(ie no nexus s 4g). I hope theres a way around this.
    ugh, naive
    05-24-2011 08:51 PM
    they may change it but maybe not till after the evo3d.
    True, it's probably too late for the Evo 3D. But hopefully future HTC phones will have unlocked and unencrypted bootloaders.
    05-24-2011 08:56 PM
    There's always the possibility HTC leaks something or releases something to make full unlock possible. I don't see them under any circumstance unencrypting the bootloader, but given the response after the public outcry, they may provide a way around it.

That is a huge, enormous maybe though.
    05-24-2011 09:08 PM
    There's always the possibility HTC leaks something or releases something to make full unlock possible. I don't see them under any circumstance unencrypting the bootloader, but given the response after the public outcry, they may provide a way around it.

Yeah they can provide the key.
    05-24-2011 09:13 PM

The eng hboot for those who want it would be nice.
    05-24-2011 10:06 PM
    yup,,,,honestly,,,rooting and flashing roms is fun in all, but i do it as a side note...usually when my phone starts feeling old. i got my evo 4g on launch day and rooted it for the first time just two months ago...
    yourfriendmat likes this.
    05-24-2011 10:17 PM
    I think I'm still going to get it. I would like to have the option to unlock the bootloader though, even if I don't plan on using it extensively. Hopefully HTC comes to their senses soon.
    05-24-2011 11:23 PM
    I have no real intention of switching phones, but it would be hard as heck to switch from an open phone to a locked one. I am too flash happy..
    05-24-2011 11:46 PM
    Honestly, who cares about loading custom roms on the 3d. How many roms will works with 3d, hdmi, 4g, etc.. none, at least at first. I you can root you can still wifi tether. Bloatware isn't a huge deal because there is a ton more internal memory than the evo. There is no way that anyone will develop a bug free rom at first... I love playing with roms on my Evo, but I will be plenty happy with a working device b
    05-25-2011 03:22 AM
    As long as I can use apps like wifi tether or setcpu then I'm happy
    05-25-2011 06:37 AM
    The ONLY reason I rooted and flashed an AOSP ROM on my Inc is because 3rd party AOSP ROM have a FULL bluetooth stack. Its ridiculous having a partial/crippled bluetooth stack. Now I can connect to any car audio system with bluetooth. I also have the added ability to use a wii mote. I could live with a locked signed boot loader if someone else didn't have to fix a manufacturers problems.
    05-25-2011 08:24 AM
    Has anyone thought, maybe SPRINT wants the phone locked? That will keep people from using tether for free. HTC might not be able unlock the boot loader. As they have an agreement with Sprint.
    05-25-2011 09:05 AM
    Has anyone thought, maybe SPRINT wants the phone locked? That will keep people from using tether for free. HTC might not be able unlock the boot loader. As they have an agreement with Sprint.
    Naah, I would say that's possible but the fact that all HTC new phones are looked like this I would say its all HTC.
    05-25-2011 09:30 AM
    This eliminated the small amount of interest I had in this device to begin with.
    05-25-2011 09:39 AM
    Guess who posted on HTC's Facebook page?

"unrevoked
    We'd be glad to partner with HTC to help develop safe ways to allow users to continue to do amazing things with their phones. If anyone at HTC is interested, please send us an e-mail: team *AT* unrevoked.com."

Maybe it means nothing, but it made me happy to see them post on there.
    05-25-2011 10:43 AM
    Guess who posted on HTC's Facebook page?

"unrevoked
    We'd be glad to partner with HTC to help develop safe ways to allow users to continue to do amazing things with their phones. If anyone at HTC is interested, please send us an e-mail: team *AT* unrevoked.com."

Maybe it means nothing, but it made me happy to see them post on there.
    I'm sure nothing will come of it, but it would be awesome if it did.
    05-25-2011 11:04 AM
    Honestly, who cares about loading custom roms on the 3d. How many roms will works with 3d, hdmi, 4g, etc.. none, at least at first. I you can root you can still wifi tether. Bloatware isn't a huge deal because there is a ton more internal memory than the evo. There is no way that anyone will develop a bug free rom at first... I love playing with roms on my Evo, but I will be plenty happy with a working device b
    I would venture to guess tha most roms will work with hdmi, 4g, etc...maybe not 3D, but there's a large portion of people out there who don't at all care about the 3D capability, but simply want it for the beefed up specs over something like the original Evo.
    05-25-2011 11:27 AM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD