Signed Bootloader, are you still getting it?

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
signed boatloader means nothing, encrypted bootloader does, do we know if the bootloader is encrypted or not.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Have any encrypted devices been fully rooted to date?

Partialy rooted yes, fully rooted no.

Partially rooted = you can use apps that require root such as Titanium Back.

Full Root = Flashing different roms. I don't think this has been done on any Encrypted bootloader phone yet.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well according to android police I just read its true, so this phone will not be able to get custom roms. Therefore I'm no longer interested. Waiting for the GS2 now.

aruth09

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This is something that has me a little worried. I want a phone that i can hack till my hearts content, but it must also be super high on specs(ie no nexus s 4g). I hope theres a way around this.

Jackietreehorn

May 15, 2011
Visit site
According to irc dev's its cryptographically signed (not necessarily encrypted - I don't quite get this ) and there are quite a few exploits that might not have been patched.

There is hope yet!

Where did you hear this? Mind linking (and sorry of linking isn't kosher in this way...if not, a PM would be awesome too.)

Unfortunately, I was wholeheartedly on the Evo 3D boat, but with this news, I'm seriously doubting whether I still want it. Wish Sprint had something on the near horizon that I could look forward to (other than the SGSII, since who knows when that'll be).

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Partialy rooted yes, fully rooted no.

Partially rooted = you can use apps that require root such as Titanium Back.

Full Root = Flashing different roms. I don't think this has been done on any Encrypted bootloader phone yet.

This is not true. All an encrypted (or locked) bootloader means is that you can't install custom kernels, which aren't required to root or flash different ROMS. It is only necessary to flash certain ones (like CyanogenMod) but plenty of other ROM developers make ROMS just as good as CyanogenMod using the approved kernels that the manufacturers provide. The Motorola bootloader still hasn't been cracked (& probably never will be) but there are plenty of great ROMs using the Froyo kernel & even Gingerbread ROMs using the kernel from the Droid X/Droid 2 Gingerbread leaks that was signed by Motorola.

Someone will still get the EVO 3D rooted, there will be apps that allow overclocking/undervolting to increase speed/extend battery life, & there will be ROMs.

Reactions: reverepats

hardeho

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as I get superuser access, I am still going to get it. However, I can absolutely see where many people would find this limitation unnaceptable. Hopefully the Galaxy S II is more open.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. All an encrypted (or locked) bootloader means is that you can't install custom kernels, which aren't required to root or flash different ROMS. It is only necessary to flash certain ones (like CyanogenMod) but plenty of other ROM developers make ROMS just as good as CyanogenMod using the approved kernels that the manufacturers provide. The Motorola bootloader still hasn't been cracked (& probably never will be) but there are plenty of great ROMs using the Froyo kernel & even Gingerbread ROMs using the kernel from the Droid X/Droid 2 Gingerbread leaks that was signed by Motorola.

Someone will still get the EVO 3D rooted, there will be apps that allow overclocking/undervolting to increase speed/extend battery life, & there will be ROMs.

I dont think you're getting it. Not only did HTC sign the bootloader, they also signed the kernel AND the recovery. I'm not going to say its impossible but this will probably be the hardest phone for them to get full root to thats ever been seen. And if it does happen, it probably wont be full root. And even if they circumvent that, EVERYTHING that gets flashed will basically have to be based from stock... which SUCKS.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
If you can't load a custom recovery image you can't load a custom ROM. Sure you can get root and run root apps but that is about it.

The only way is if someone leaks the keys....

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My EVO 4G will become the ROM tester and dev toy. The EVO 3D not being hackable at the start isn't that big of a deal to me. It will get cracked eventually.

Reactions: yourfriendmat

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry, we will get an engineering Hboot and every thing will be business as usual, lets not act like this is the end of the world... that, was Saturday =P

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech