radio shack pre orders get ripped off?

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, wait, what????! Um..... wait, again WHAT?!?!?!?!

Ok, just from that, I'm marching down to Radio Shack tomorrow and asking ALOT of questions about that.. specifically in which: "can i just HAVE my phone without activation?".... **** paying ANY money for activating it THERE when i can simply walk over to the actual sprint store, and get it activated for FREE....

yea he said you cant leave the store unactivated and that it was a fee associated with signing the new contract then just simple upgrading. He claimed that if u buy unsubsidized you can leave with it unactivated but if you sign a new contract you have to pay the 35

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
You sure? cause mine told me that the Evo and Shift were $100, and UP TO $75 for any other phone that is on their "list", and the manager was the one doing my pre-order >.>; But if yours is true, I wouldn't say that is being ripped off, cause then as long as you have alot of phones, you can easily get it for almost zero!

I know that if it really is just "any smart phone" then I'll be trading in my Pre Minus, AND my dad's old Palm Centro and getting $150 off right there! meaning i'd just have to pay roughly $60 ta $65 bucks for the phone! (added $20 ta $25 cause of tax that should be there >.< )

The guaranteed $75 is one phone per 3D purchase. So you will get $75 for one, and whatever the regular value of the other is. Not $75 for both.

I called my the RS near my home and I was told depending on condition the max I could get is $127. Maybe it depends on the store?

I called my RS where I pre ordered my 2 evo 3d's last week and where I was told I would get 180.00 for my OG Evo and now he tells me as of today it's worth 127.00 on a trade. Uhh can you say bait and switch much? Completely ****ed up imo. The guy agreed but of course nothing he can do he says that's what corporate does sometimes. I called because of this thread and so now I don't know what I should do. 127.00 a fair price for a out of the box MINT MINT MINT evo that looks the same as the day I got it? I think not....I'm a little peeved not gonna lie.

Trade in values change. Usually at least once a month. It will decrease as time goes on, and with the 3D coming soon, expect a big drop.

Anyone know if the activation fee will be wavied. I talked to my local shack (love saying that) and they said it is $35 and comes down from sprint so they can't waive it. I know wirefly will only charge 19. So its 20 more plus tax and twice the activation fee I'm starting to regret my shack preorder

Whoa, wait, what????! Um..... wait, again WHAT?!?!?!?!

Ok, just from that, I'm marching down to Radio Shack tomorrow and asking ALOT of questions about that.. specifically in which: "can i just HAVE my phone without activation?".... **** paying ANY money for activating it THERE when i can simply walk over to the actual sprint store, and get it activated for FREE....

New Account - $36 Activation fee.
Upgrade - $18 Upgrade fee.

That's a sprint thing, not a RS thing. We can't change it. If you are not buying the phone outright, you will incur one of these two charges. It is not a charge for the actual act of activation. Anyone can activate any sprint phone for free themselves on sprint.com.

Also note, when ordering from Wirefly, they have a whole second mini contract with their own hefty termination fee, which is something you won't run into anywhere else.

Hope that clarifies things.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I called my RS where I pre ordered my 2 evo 3d's last week and where I was told I would get 180.00 for my OG Evo and now he tells me as of today it's worth 127.00 on a trade. Uhh can you say bait and switch much? Completely ****ed up imo. The guy agreed but of course nothing he can do he says that's what corporate does sometimes. I called because of this thread and so now I don't know what I should do. 127.00 a fair price for a out of the box MINT MINT MINT evo that looks the same as the day I got it? I think not....I'm a little peeved not gonna lie.

I think it would be worth your while to try to sell on eBay or Craigslist. Don't forget that the people that are wanting buy a used EVO on either site are generally in-between upgrades and don't qualify for the upgrade price and you can also add any accessories like a case, HDMI cable, and the like to make it worth more to the potential buyer, especially if yours is in mint condition as you say.

It may also be useful to give the buyer the option to have the EVO rooted and ROMed so they don't have to go through the hassle.

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The guaranteed $75 is one phone per 3D purchase. So you will get $75 for one, and whatever the regular value of the other is. Not $75 for both.

Trade in values change. Usually at least once a month. It will decrease as time goes on, and with the 3D coming soon, expect a big drop.

New Account - $36 Activation fee.
Upgrade - $18 Upgrade fee.

That's a sprint thing, not a RS thing. We can't change it. If you are not buying the phone outright, you will incur one of these two charges. It is not a charge for the actual act of activation. Anyone can activate any sprint phone for free themselves on sprint.com.

Also note, when ordering from Wirefly, they have a whole second mini contract with their own hefty termination fee, which is something you won't run into anywhere else.

Hope that clarifies things.

Yea, i went and looked it up for the whole activation thing about upgrade vs new contract. i thought that it was rather high for just a simple upgrade...

But as i've said, i can simply just walk over to the sprint store and have it activated for absolutely free.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Yea, i went and looked it up for the whole activation thing about upgrade vs new contract. i thought that it was rather high for just a simple upgrade...

But as i've said, i can simply just walk over to the sprint store and have it activated for absolutely free.

The charge is from you renewing your contract, which is part of the conditions for getting the phone at a discounted price. Not literally activating the phone. So, If you are buying it on an upgrade and taking the $199.99 price, you will pay the fee. The only way around it is to purchase the phone off contract. $499.00.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Credit union discount includes waived activation. Add it to your account before you buy. Switch back next month if you were using a different discount. If RS or BB charges you, just call Sprint and get a credit.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I think most discounts get waived activation so at this point it would be best to pay for it then ask for a credit. I also think the shack will be throwing In some goodies for those that preorder (note this is not based on any fact or confirmed rumor just history)

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The charge is from you renewing your contract, which is part of the conditions for getting the phone at a discounted price. Not literally activating the phone. So, If you are buying it on an upgrade and taking the $199.99 price, you will pay the fee. The only way around it is to purchase the phone off contract. $499.00.

i've not once had to pay an activation fee for any of my phones. . . i get my phone, take it to sprint, and they activate it. i asked them each time "what do i owe you?" and every time they say "we dont charge a fee when a phone is brought into us". and yes, each time, was using my upgrade discount to buy the phone. each time i bought one of my phones, i've ordered it online and had it shipped to the house, then taken it into sprint to activate instead of calling it in or going online..

bsod6

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Stop dreaming already. It is what it is. The only way you get free activation was from sprint.com and supposedly that is ending. You obviously only want to believe what you think is right. Stop repeating yourself and listen to the adults who know the process. Also, enough with your pre "minus" talk.

Coop1979

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Last year my $18 activation fee was credited back to my bill by Sprint after the fact (I upgraded to the EVO at RS). No idea why, but I thought I'd share my experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes