Does the Photon 4g change your mind on purchasing the Evo 3d?

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
No, he had it right the first time. They're asynchronous so they both run at the clocked speed.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope didn't think about it for a second. Although I'm still on the fence with the GS2! I might be swayed to the darkside especially if it comes out within 30 days of Evo 3D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

zeropcs

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Nope didn't think about it for a second. Although I'm still on the fence with the GS2! I might be swayed to the darkside especially if it comes out within 30 days of Evo 3D

With all the issues Samsung had with the EPIC, I will defiantly stay away from the GSII at least until it has been out a bit... I am referencing the GPS issues and the Froyo delay...

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
With all the issues Samsung had with the EPIC, I will defiantly stay away from the GSII at least until it has been out a bit... I am referencing the GPS issues and the Froyo delay...

Yeah, I've been keeping a close lookout on the GS2 forum. I haven't seen any issues with the the gps but I have notice they are having some screen issues thought. The other thing that bugs me, and some might think its minor, is no notification light! I really love having the light its a big deal for me. I do love that screen on the Sammy thought. Well I've already got my Evo pre-ordered so we'll see.....

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd skip my E3D pre-order for a Photon if:

The laptop dock and phone can be bought together for $399 or even $349

and

No extra charge for data use through the dock

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Qualcomm’s 1.5GHz 8660 Dual-Core Processor Tops All in Benchmarks

Pretty apparent the huge advantage. As has been said before, the only reason the SG2 is even winning in benchmarks is because its WVGA vs qHD and the 3D is underclocked from its rated 1.5 to 1.2.

Ok, so why did the Quadrant score on Phonedog's Sensation only get 1970 while my NS4G gets 1846? He says in that link they didnt have time to test the 3Ds benchmarks and we have seen two separate benchmarks on the Sensation with neither being very good at all. Seems the phone is underperforming from what the processor is capable of. I bet Sense is to blame. Will be interested to see the results after its been rooted and Sense is removed. Bet its way faster.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so why did the Quadrant score on Phonedog's Sensation only get 1970 while my NS4G gets 1846? He says in that link they didnt have time to test the 3Ds benchmarks and we have seen two separate benchmarks on the Sensation with neither being very good at all. Seems the phone is underperforming from what the processor is capable of. I bet Sense is to blame. Will be interested to see the results after its been rooted and Sense is removed. Bet its way faster.

I don't think Sense has that much to do with it. Quadrant is pretty unreliable, I have seen scores as high as 2200 for the Sensation. As I said before, certain benchmarks favor certain chipsets, and to me it seems as if the Snappy 2 doesn't get to let out all the horses when needed. If you compare quadrant between two phones when running, the Sensation always finishes before the GS2, however in that first graphics test where that pattern scrolls up, the GS2 maxes out at 59 fps, while all other phones I have ever seen seem to be stuck at 17, which is weird. After that, in the walk around labyrinth thing test, the Sensation does around 30 to 40 while the GS2 does 59 all the way through that too. The planet test both phones max out, the DNA test, the GS2 maxes it at 59, the Sensation gets around 30. This indicates to me that either only one core is running, or the 3d code used doesn't play well with Adreno gpu's.

Your Nexus S performs so well because it scores high in all those graphics tests, and it being clocked higher than the Epic or any other Galaxy S phone helps as well. Add to that the fact that it's vanilla android and it makes sense why the Nexus S scores so high.

The Snappy does much better in GL graphics test. Also, the Sensation maxes out Neocore where it actually beats the GS2,...it helps that Neocore was written by Qualcomm and optimized for the Adreno gpu.

Fact is, launch time for apps was only minimally slower between the two, in actual game performance there is no discernable difference in the few games we have seen so far, and browsing performance as far as speed goes is pretty close, with the Sensation actually winning a few once in a while. The browsing performance is also dependent on how well each manufacturer optimized the browser to their phone. Reviewers brag about how fast the GS2 can scroll....that's great, but what's the point, you can't see jack that way, so it's not helpful unless you want to reach to bottom of a long page in a hurry.

Lastly, Touchwhiz isn't nearly as graphically intense as Sense is, and on top of that the phone has to render fewer pixels.

:)

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Considering how much sense slowed down the OG EVO, I bet you would actually be right as well. The phones software doesn't seem to be up to par either (along with the crap I mentioned) which is why I am patient and will be waiting for root, CM7, and a custom kernel to OC.

I'm going with the EVO 3D for the end game content per se, not because I'm expecting a perfect experience at launch.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

qHD vs WVGA. The Sensation/Evo 3D has 35% more pixels to push. Moreover quadrant isn't a great way to benchmark phones because it puts a lot of emphasis on IO (and many other reasons).

These benchmarks show Qualcomm's Adreno 220 pwns Nvidia's ULP GetForce: AnandTech - Hands on and Benchmarks of two MSM8x60 Phones - HTC Sensation 4G and HTC EVO 3D

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Now it makes more sense. I agree that benchmarks and quadrants dont mean everything when it comes to overall performance. Hope to see some Evo 3D videos soon.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I know right...it is all speculation until the 3D videos start to release. What is nice about hte Sensation videos we at least get an idea how the 3D will run and I am quite excited.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci