06-10-2011 01:50 PM
59 123
tools
    So they just unveiled the Photon 4G. Looks like a nice device, it's basically a Droid X2 with cut off corners, a dedicated camera button, a kickstand, and the ability to be a world phone.

Fits in well in Sprints line up.

Will I buy it instead of the Evo 3d? Probably not. The UI is MotoUgly, the only nice thing I can say about is that it has an animation when you flip into landscape mode. The kickstand makes the phone go into landscape mode automatically when it gets deployed, I guess that's nice, but the accelerometer will do that for you as well...

All in all, while a nice device, I like the Evo 3d better, maily because of Sense, and because of the extra gravy feature of 3d.

How about you boys girls?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/09/motoro...ideo-hands-on/

Shows off some enhancements to the UI. I do like that animated screen rotation!
    06-09-2011 01:21 PM
    nope not at all but if the Galaxy S2 would have been anounced it would have changed my mind
    06-09-2011 01:23 PM
    I will admit it IS compelling...especially since they left the kickstand off the 3VO. I will probably stay in the EVO family though.
    06-09-2011 01:27 PM
    I am not bothered by the lack of a kickstand for the Evo 3d, after all, most people get a case for their phones, and I do have one on my Evo 4G. Since HTC is going to make that kickstand included case, I don't mind the kickstand missing from the phone, instead, we got a bigger battery and 3d.

I am slightly envious of that 16 Gb of internal memory.
    ajoerivera likes this.
    06-09-2011 01:34 PM
    I know I do not post much lol, but I am trying to change that, and this does not change my mind about the evo 3d, although the specs are pretty good, I am just finally glad that Sprint is starting to get a lineup of darn good phones
    06-09-2011 01:39 PM
    It's great to have another high end phone in Sprint's portfolio, but alas, it's not enough to sway me away from my Evo 3D (15 days left XD). If the processor was clocked at 1.2 Ghz and had vanilla Android, then yes.
    06-09-2011 01:41 PM
    Not no, but hell no. This doesn't change my mind one bit. It has some pretty solid specs, but not quite to the level of the EVO 3D. Also, I am someone who actually likes Sense UI. I have played around with a friends Droid X and it just feels so different. Finally, I have a Panasonic 3D television. So the 3D capabilities of the EVO 3D is a little more than just a gimmick to me. Just my thoughts...
    06-09-2011 02:09 PM
    Not no, but hell no. This doesn't change my mind one bit. It has some pretty solid specs, but not quite to the level of the EVO 3D. Also, I am someone who actually likes Sense UI. I have played around with a friends Droid X and it just feels so different. Finally, I have a Panasonic 3D television. So the 3D capabilities of the EVO 3D is a little more than just a gimmick to me. Just my thoughts...
    I like Sense UI too, love all the little details here and there. At the top I posted a link to a video from BGR showing a little more of the UI.
    06-09-2011 02:11 PM
    no, I was hoping it would, but it didn't. I'm not real excited about the Evo 3d, and I don't want to lose the kickstand, but I will upgrade. The Evo 3d is still the best Sprint has to offer.
    06-09-2011 02:12 PM
    It's great to have another high end phone in Sprint's portfolio, but alas, it's not enough to sway me away from my Evo 3D (15 days left XD). If the processor was clocked at 1.2 Ghz and had vanilla Android, then yes.
    I couldn't agree more. That Blur stuff is painful. I've been using a Droid X at work for development and I cringe every time I use it. I have the Xoom and that Tegra 2 at 1GHz isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you think the EVO 3D lags on the Sense UI (which it really doesn't unless you run a live wallpaper from my playing with it), try out a Xoom.

Not to mention, I really am not in the mood for waiting on another Sprint "Summer 2011" release date to be passed along...
    MannyZ28 and kevvykev like this.
    06-09-2011 02:14 PM
    I like the Evo family, the sense ui, never really used the kickstand on my 4g and I already pre ordered...so no.
    06-09-2011 02:23 PM
    LOL I just started a thread with the same thing, didn't see this one.

Anyway my answer is no! Bring on the Evo 3D!!!
    06-09-2011 02:24 PM
    I doubt i will change but it is nice having options, especially since the photon won't have a locked bootloader
    06-09-2011 02:33 PM
    Its nice to see another high end phone for options, but i bet that thing has motoblur on it and thats a no go for me. Plus, i am happy with my evo and will stay in this family line for it.

Sent from my EVOlution
    06-09-2011 02:37 PM
    I doubt i will change but it is nice having options, especially since the photon won't have a locked bootloader
    every motorola phone has a locked bootloader, where did you get that info.
    06-09-2011 02:43 PM
    every motorola phone has a locked bootloader, where did you get that info.
    They already said they would stop locking the boot loaders a couple of months ago so idk what you're talking about. Also check the front page of the site dude lol....so every motorola phone DID have a locked bootloader, now the carriers have the choice of keeping it unlocked or having it locked up....where have you been charlie brown, under a rock?
    06-09-2011 02:46 PM
    i would consider it but no ...waiting on new nexus or galaxy 2
    06-09-2011 02:53 PM
    Definitely not going to change my mind. I don't want anyone that likes the Motorola phones to be offended, because this is just my opinion. I just thing the Droid X, the X2 and this phone just look cheap to me. Those hard buttons look all loose, idk looks like a fake phone for a child to play with. Again please don't be offended, just because I feel that way doesn't mean its true.
    06-09-2011 03:29 PM
    For about a second, But i'm sticking with the EVO, even though the Photon is unlocked from release
    06-09-2011 03:56 PM
    It had me thinking for a second but then I am back to the Evo 3D

I am sure that Sprint will wait till end of the Summer to release the Photon. They will give the E3D a chance to sell.
    06-09-2011 04:02 PM
    Does it tempt me? Yes, I'm waiting for more details though.
    06-09-2011 04:03 PM
    I was all set to get the EVO 3D, but seeing this phone has to make me think a little. I guess I would have to compare the two devices and weigh the positives and negatives of both phones. Hardware seems close, but I heard that the EVO 3D 1.2 duo core actually has an energy saver by shutting down 1 core when not needed. I also heard it is a better processor than the Tegra. I do like that the Moto has 16 internal memory and a kickstand. Evo 3D has the 3D effect and Sense 3.0 and Moto has Blur (don't look blur that much). I guess it comes down to which phone has better reception, speakers, camera, speed, looks and call quality. For now, no one knows those answers yet, which makes the decision a little harder. I am still leaning towards the Evo 3D, but a lot can change in 2 weeks. Anyone else have opinions. I always want the latest and greatest each year, but this year you have 2 choices.
    06-09-2011 04:11 PM
    At first I was a lil jealous of the kickstand (and I also like the design) But then I remembered that the charging ports are on the side so you cant charge it and use the kickstand @ the same time so with that I do not envy the kickstand... At least the Evo 4g had it right... Have kickstand - ports on the bottom!
    06-09-2011 04:18 PM
    Not really. Only a 1GHz processor, and I hate Motoblur...
    06-09-2011 04:30 PM
    Not really. Only a 1GHz processor, and I hate Motoblur...
    Umm.. the specs have it at a 1gzh dual core processor. Which does make it tempting.

Sent from my EVOlution
    06-09-2011 04:38 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD