Settings for converting movies to use on the E3D

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any settings, mostly something like Handbrake would help (it's the best I can do in Linux, generally)?

I usually just covert everything to the "iPhone" preset and it works just fine, while usually a little light in the resolution. This time though I did a movie at a nearly-evo rez and it just wasn't working as a movie in general, even on my PC.

I took the iPhone preset, changed the resolution to something like 954x536 or whatever maintained the same aspect ratio and it's just not working.

Any advice?

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I've converted my 3D Blurays to .mp4 files at 540x960 and had no problem. Have you tried multiple times or different files? If it was a DVD, the encryption may not have been broken correctly.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have perfectly fine-working .mkv files, so it's not the source for sure.

I'll try a different file at that resolution first, otherwise do you happen to know what settings you put?

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've converted my 3D Blurays to .mp4 files at 540x960 and had no problem. Have you tried multiple times or different files? If it was a DVD, the encryption may not have been broken correctly.

Does handbrake maintain the 3d? Do you think it will work on the evo 3d? How big do the files end up?

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually used DVDFab for the 3D Blurays, so the setting won't be super helpful with handbrake. a 90 minute 3d movie works out to around 1.2 GB at that resolution. I won't know if it will work on the Evo 3D until I try :p The file format is fine (.mp4), and it seems that the Evo 3D will use side-by-side video, but I'm not sure if there is some sort of header information in the file that tells it to turn on 3D mode. If so, then I'll have to wait until there is some official way to do it.

As far as settings are concerned, I can't imagine how changing the resolution would make the file unplayable. Maybe you could try just doing the iPhone preset and make sure that works (if you haven't already). Whenever I've used handbrake, it's worked really well, so this seems odd.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My concern as well about the will it know it's 3D..

So I tried it again and things seem to be ok this time. Instead of sticking with Handbrake's quality setting, I stuck with 1500kbps bitrate. This was a good move, since the video seems fine still but it ended up being 1.8GB opposed to 4.3 before (ouch).

I followed this guide here:

How to convert videos and transfer them to the HTC EVO 3D - Know Your Cell

I'm wondering what video enhancements I'm missing by picking iPod over iPhone, and I may pick iPhone again and keep the bitrate setting (since I'm not sure what else I could have done)..

Only real issue is 960x540 didn't work, it kept wanting to go to 544, so I knocked it down a little bit to maybe 928x something else, but I'm sure it will look fine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith