Tethering with the Evo 3D

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how soon we will be able to tether for free on the Evo 3D?

Fast, unlimited tethering is the #1 reason I am switching from AT&T/iPhone4 to Sprint and this feature is incredibly important to me.

Thanks,

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea how soon we will be able to tether for free on the Evo 3D?

Fast, unlimited tethering is the #1 reason I am switching from AT&T/iPhone4 to Sprint and this feature is incredibly important to me.

Thanks,

Well, if you pay $30 for unlimited tethering, you can do it out of the box, otherwise you'll have to wait for root.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
as long as you pay 30 bucks extra a month for unlimited tethering you can tether all you want. It is separate from unlimited data plan. If not then you gotta acquire root access and install wireless tether for root user on it.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks,

People looking for fast unlimited tethering for free are the very reason why limits are set by the carriers and ends up not being limited nor free.

If this is an important feature for you, spend the money to actually buy the function. if you rely on it solely you are helping to screw the rest of us down the line when it gets abused

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This discussion seems to be focussed on WiFi tethering, which requires root access. What about the USB and/or Bluetooth tethering options that work without rooting on other Android phones, can someone confirm whether these solutions work on the Evo 3D or not?

PDANet
EasyTether

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
This discussion seems to be focussed on WiFi tethering, which requires root access. What about the USB and/or Bluetooth tethering options that work without rooting on other Android phones, can someone confirm whether these solutions work on the Evo 3D or not?

PDANet
EasyTether

I can confirm that Easytether works GREAT .... Both the lite and the paid version ... Lite version is limited to non secure sites only .

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
People looking for fast unlimited tethering for free are the very reason why limits are set by the carriers and ends up not being limited nor free.

If this is an important feature for you, spend the money to actually buy the function. if you rely on it solely you are helping to screw the rest of us down the line when it gets abused
While I see your point, the amount of bandwidth being used by free rooted wifi tethering is such a tiny percentage of the overall bandwidth that I would be surprised it if cost us $.01 per account.

Wavfact

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
FREE? Who gets a data plan for free? and from $print? I pay $99 a month for unlimited data, picture mail and text messaging.. So I don't feel like I am cheating anyone out of money when using a rooted phone to wireless tether my iPad.. Pay an extra $30 a month when I'm already paying that and more for data? Screw that!

Oh, and when I bought the phone yesterday,, they up'd my monthly bill by $10 for the 4G service.. So to me, I'm using what I paid for is all..

SedahDrol

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
FREE? Who gets a data plan for free? and from $print? I pay $99 a month for unlimited data, picture mail and text messaging.. So I don't feel like I am cheating anyone out of money when using a rooted phone to wireless tether my iPad.. Pay an extra $30 a month when I'm already paying that and more for data? Screw that!

Oh, and when I bought the phone yesterday,, they up'd my monthly bill by $10 for the 4G service.. So to me, I'm using what I paid for is all..

That $10 dollars is not for 4g service, it's a smartphone fee tacked on to all sprint smartphones regardless of whether they are capable of 4g or not. Originally they were only making 4g phones pay for it but then people started complaining so they decided to simply screw every smartphone user. It makes more sense since the everything plans apply to all phones and smartphones use more data then regular phones on average. I'd rather pay an extra $10 a month then have them switch to tiered service like everyone else seems to be doing. That way all smartphone users split the cost.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that Easytether works GREAT .... Both the lite and the paid version ... Lite version is limited to non secure sites only .
Thanks. I believe Easytether is USB only, can anyone confirm whether or not PDAnet works via Bluetooth? (WiFi would be better, but Bluetooth would suffice until a root solution is found.)

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I could not get pdanet working over Bluetooth. It worked for a bit then died also Bluetooth seems to be very slow.

chong67

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Free data if you got the SERO plan.

2. I read in another forum that PDAnet works.

3 I got a Touch Pro 2 and I got a WMWifiRouter software and it can be done using USB or sent out WiFi signal! ( I wish it comes to Android!). OK, my laptop can see this wireless Wifi signal put out by this software, but my Optimus T while scanning for this WiFi signal, never finds the SSD and it never works. Anyone knows why?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
if you tether a lot, getting the tethering plan seems like a good idea. I don't tether too often, only in emergencies. So no need for a plan. I just use the free tethering that comes with my phone.

XxViperNYCxX

May 9, 2011
Visit site
1. Free data if you got the SERO plan.

2. I read in another forum that PDAnet works.

3 I got a Touch Pro 2 and I got a WMWifiRouter software and it can be done using USB or sent out WiFi signal! ( I wish it comes to Android!). OK, my laptop can see this wireless Wifi signal put out by this software, but my Optimus T while scanning for this WiFi signal, never finds the SSD and it never works. Anyone knows why?

I'm taking a guess at the add hoc network it might not be detecting.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that PDAnet works fine on the EVO 3D. Bluetooth is limited to theoretical 1Mbs which is pretty slow for an internet data rate.

WiFi tethering requires the use of the built in wifi tethering app and payment of the $30 fee to use it.

Phone plans include unlimited data for your phone, not for every other device in the vacinity. wifi hotspot is a seperate add on that is not included inthe phone plan.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that PDAnet works fine on the EVO 3D. Bluetooth is limited to theoretical 1Mbs which is pretty slow for an internet data rate.
I just sent a file from my phone to my laptop via Bluetooth at about 1.7 Mbps. Still slow compared to WiFi, but faster than Sprint's 3G speeds (at least for me). So for 3G, the network speed, not the Bluetooth speed, is the limiting factor. For 4G, I've gotten anywhere from 0.5 to as much as 7 Mbs occasionally so in that case Bluetooth speed would often be the limiting factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair