Sprint now says 1080p video capture was a typo

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Working as a photographer/videographer I can tell you that a 5MP camera is not going to be able to shoot at a 1920x1080 resolution. Even if it did, you wouldnt like the results, at all.

What are you talking about? A 5mp camera is MORE than capable of handling 1080p.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Working as a photographer/videographer I can tell you that a 5MP camera is not going to be able to shoot at a 1920x1080 resolution. Even if it did, you wouldnt like the results, at all.

Ha ha ha ... Your funny ... You contradict yourself in your own statement saying " a 5MP camera us NOT going to be able to shoot at 1920x1080 BUT even if it DOES " So apparently you really have no idea as a working photographer ... In any case here are 4 other 5MP cameras that can't can shoot at 1080p

The Oregon Scientific ATC9K HD Action Camera Can Shoot 1080p Videos and Snap 5MP Photos Underwater

GoPro HD Surf HERO Wide - 1080p HD 5MP Sports Video Camera

Kodak Play Sport, waterproof, 5mp Camera and 1080p HD Video for $150.00

DXG Mini 1080p HD Digital Video Camera with 5MP Still Resolution

Reactions: Djblue

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
As a photographer/videographer, you should know that Megapixels are simply a measure of size, not at all of quality. 3 megapixels, if I remember right, is roughly 2048x1536, and 5 megapixels is 2560x1920 (again, if memory serves), so there would be ABSOLUTELY zero problem with a 5 megapixel camera being able to produce a 1920x1080 resolution. The quality of an image/video has MUCH MUCH MUCH more to do with the quality of the image sensor, lens, etc...

You are spot on ... Here is a megapixel calculator as a resource:

Megapixels and aspect ratio | web.forret.com

megapixel%2Bcalculator.JPG

Reactions: Jackietreehorn

backlund

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Pardon me for asking, as I'm not trying to troll, but why does this even matter? Is a 1080P video taken off a phone going to somehow do something I'm not aware of? Don't most videos taken on phones generally look like crap anyway, so what is the big deal whether it's in 720p or 1080p? It's not like you are going to use it to film Avatar 2 or something.

I really am just curious from those that are upset about this. Not trying to start a fight!

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Pardon me for asking, as I'm not trying to troll, but why does this even matter? Is a 1080P video taken off a phone going to somehow do something I'm not aware of? Don't most videos taken on phones generally look like crap anyway, so what is the big deal whether it's in 720p or 1080p? It's not like you are going to use it to film Avatar 2 or something.

I really am just curious from those that are upset about this. Not trying to start a fight!

I really don't think any one here really cares about the 1080p lol:D
The camera quality in phones aren't really that crappy anymore so it would be nice. I rarely use my camera though so I could care less.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
A typo is something like printing 1180p not advertising for months that the device can do 1080p and then when it is revealed by testers to only be capable of 720p to claim typo.

I don't think this will prevent me from getting the E3D but I'm gradually getting more interested in the Photon.

backlund

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Other than the principle of being truthful, I feel like you and don't care if it is 1080p vs. 720p.
Cool. I can understand why people don't like being misled, as it seems like it probably was more of a feature that perhaps they couldn't get working, and they are sidestepping the issue. Many of the CTIA videos on youtube have HTC reps even saying it's 1080P 2D.

But as I mentioned before, it seems defy reason why a 1080p shaky cell cam video is really necessary in the first place. It's been so long since I've got a new phone (I'm still running a day one Palm Pre). Have the cameras drastically improved any? Do they even put anything like image stabilization into these yet?

sohungry

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, this is kind of bull****. How does it take you THAT long to notice. That's not a typo, that's a **** up. There's a difference.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I really don;t think anyone here believes it was a typo as well as Sprint/HTC believed it was a typo ... It was a feature that was expected to be on board and it just didn't pan out ... I vaguely remember the pre had a similar issue with video recording ... The problem was corrected and fixed with an OTA update ... I believe that the ability to capture 1080p is there but locked down ... Just my 2 cents.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site

This is a video of Android Central's initial hands-on back at ctia. At 2:00 the HTC rep said that the phone could shoot 1080p video in 2d mode.

So I also believe that the phone can do it, it was probably just not ready. If they would have included the 1080p recording it probably would have had some issues like stuttering, which would have brought the reviews down.

I think they were trying to make the phone as bug free as possible in the final version, so the reviews could be positive and to bring and attract more customers. Hopefully later the feature will be added via OTA.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is why I too believe that it will be released/unlocked later if they can work out the kinks. I just wish they were honest about the change in specs instead of the "Typogate".

taynxtlvl

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is why I too believe that it will be released/unlocked later if they can work out the kinks. I just wish they were honest about the change in specs instead of the "Typogate".
ha ha "Typogate" I like that, Very Clever.

And like a poster previous I do indeed remember the Palm Pre not having video when it first came out. But Palm did release a OTA patch for it a while late. Which was an absolute travesty. I mean what phone since 2006/2007 did not take video. It was a Super Crime and one for which although I really loved the personality of the Pre I couldnt handle it not having video and had to xchange it within the 30 days. But I digress. While certainly dissapointing not to have 1080p right off the bat. I am confident that it can be upgraded with a simple download in coming weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000