06-17-2011 12:03 PM
26 12
tools
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the cover for the two cameras is made of. I've noticed reviews dont mention/know what the material is and there is panic for easy scratching (not that I plan on being rough with this phone). I'm usually really careful with electronic devices that cost ~$200..but I'm just curious if anyone (maybe Phil) can report on how durable the cover feels.
    06-16-2011 07:33 PM
    If it's not made of gorilla glass i'll prob end up sending it back to wirefly and getting something else...
    06-16-2011 07:44 PM
    I just can't see why they would skip on making that out of gorilla glass..But some confirmation would be nice.
    06-16-2011 07:55 PM
    Just get a case and the glass will never touch anything....problem solved. And, since I am pretty sure quite a few cases will come with a kickstand built in.....two problems solved.

Simple as that.
    06-16-2011 08:19 PM
    it'll be disappointing if it's not. I'm not sure i'd return the phone though for the camera not having gorilla glass though.
    06-16-2011 08:21 PM
    That's not a solution for anyone that doesn't like cases bulking up an already large phone.
    06-16-2011 08:23 PM
    I don't plan on getting a case if it's not gorilla glass, it's definitely not a deal breaker either, the fact it has a cover at all is better than none. And I couldn't care less about the kick stand...Aside from the point, I haven't been able to find many specs regarding the materials of the phone itself.
    06-16-2011 08:27 PM
    It def protrudes. It will literally rest on the lens. I don't make excuses for my Pre and I def won't make them for the 3D. Sometimes I want a naked phone and want to lay it on my desk, no GG is a must for me.
    06-16-2011 08:37 PM
    It def protrudes. It will literally rest on the lens. I don't make excuses for my Pre and I def won't make them for the 3D. Sometimes I want a naked phone and want to lay it on my desk, no GG is a must for me.
    Not sure what you're referring to. I know the camera lenses protrude on the back, but the front seems to be completely flat from what I've seen in videos. I was also under the impression gorilla glass was thinner than regular glass covers.
    06-16-2011 08:54 PM
    But then it's a choice between laying it on the screen or the lens. Not too much of an upside there...
    06-16-2011 09:06 PM
    i am thinking about some invisablesheild over then lens, do u think that would distort images?
    06-16-2011 09:17 PM
    i am thinking about some invisablesheild over then lens, do u think that would distort images?
    As long as there's no bubbles over the cameras then I don't see why it would.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    06-16-2011 09:21 PM
    With the flash it might mess up the pic if u have a screen shield.
    06-16-2011 09:44 PM
    Sprints website shows off a neat little feature that basically when you have the phone set face down on a flat surface like a table, it is silenced. Meaning if you have it on vibrate or loud ringer, setting it face down automatically silences all incoming messages, calls, etc...I'm sure being optional of course.

So maybe with this, setting it face down wont hurt it because it was obviously designed for this feature.
    06-16-2011 10:04 PM
    having it be glass isnt really an upside. Maybe gorilla glass, but the glass on my 4G is scratched up a bit just from laying it down at the bottom of the lense.

I would think plastic would be worse, but we wont know for awhile. Simple fix would be a zagg cover of sorts, but curious how that would affect image quality
    06-17-2011 07:54 AM
    I thought the red ring stood out past the glass to protect it. Didn't htc say they learned from the evo design flaw and fixed it with the red ring? I usually never bought cases before, I did for the evo because of the camera and i must say I much prefer holding the phone with the case on than without it, just feels more secure in your hand.
    06-17-2011 08:25 AM
    I thought the red ring stood out past the glass to protect it. Didn't htc say they learned from the evo design flaw and fixed it with the red ring? I usually never bought cases before, I did for the evo because of the camera and i must say I much prefer holding the phone with the case on than without it, just feels more secure in your hand.
    All the reviews say that the lense is exposed and unprotected. They all seem to think it would pick up scratches without a case almost immediately(unless its gorilla glass)
    06-17-2011 09:12 AM
    They should of done it like the Sensation
    06-17-2011 09:21 AM
    Even if the lens cover is Gorilla Glass, it will still pick up fingerprints, plus anything that is on the surface where you set the phone down. Since I often surf the web or read Kindle books during lunch, I'm perturbed at the prospect of spilled Pepsi or ketchup getting on the lens cover!
    06-17-2011 09:33 AM
    Sprints website shows off a neat little feature that basically when you have the phone set face down on a flat surface like a table, it is silenced. Meaning if you have it on vibrate or loud ringer, setting it face down automatically silences all incoming messages, calls, etc...I'm sure being optional of course.

So maybe with this, setting it face down wont hurt it because it was obviously designed for this feature.
    Link? I have read that site and didn't see it. That is a good feature to have though.
    06-17-2011 10:17 AM
    Even if the lens cover is Gorilla Glass, it will still pick up fingerprints, plus anything that is on the surface where you set the phone down. Since I often surf the web or read Kindle books during lunch, I'm perturbed at the prospect of spilled Pepsi or ketchup getting on the lens cover!
    Fingerprints and scratches are two way different animals. I can handle wiping prints off the lens every now and then. If it gets scratched by simple daily use, no fixing that.
    As for ketchup on the EVO... yeah, not good for any part of any phone I would think. lol
    06-17-2011 10:18 AM
    I just looked at a bunch of pictures and there is no way that the red ring sticks out far enough to protect the lens properly. This is a bad design, unless the lens material is Gorilla Glass. If not, we will almost be forced to use a case that shields the lens. Or maybe some little sticker/bumpy things that would stick out further then the lens. Sounds kind of ghetto though for a brand new phone.

And for those making excuses for HTC, please don't. A phone should be able to be placed on a flat surface without damaging itself. Period. We should not have to buy or do anything so that we can set out phones down.
    06-17-2011 11:11 AM
    I just looked at a bunch of pictures and there is no way that the red ring sticks out far enough to protect the lens properly. This is a bad design, unless the lens material is Gorilla Glass. If not, we will almost be forced to use a case that shields the lens. Or maybe some little sticker/bumpy things that would stick out further then the lens. Sounds kind of ghetto though for a brand new phone.

And for those making excuses for HTC, please don't. A phone should be able to be placed on a flat surface without damaging itself. Period. We should not have to buy or do anything so that we can set out phones down.
    I agree, we should call it like it is. Poor design.
    06-17-2011 11:18 AM
    No design is perfect bottom line that's the problem with most people they get all hyped up about a product thinking it's going to be some gift from god. If this really is a big deal to you get a case or if you don't like cases then you could always buy a couple replacement parts for it i'm sure the glass camera cover is a cheap buy once the replacement part sites get their hands on them. I keep referencing my iPhone 4 on here and I promise I'm not a fanboy lol but as an example my iPhone's back is completely glass and I don't use a case and have no scratches on it but I am extremely careful with all my belongings.
    06-17-2011 11:34 AM
    Never had a case on my Evo and after over a year, no scratches whatsoever on the plastic lens protector.

Just don't place your phone on a pile of gravel and it will be fine. People freaked out after the Evo launch there were all kinds of cockamamie "fixes" to try and protect the lens protector including putting more plastic over the plastic.

The design is fine and there is nothing to worry about.
    06-17-2011 11:38 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD