niknag

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, what monitor are you looking at these with? I have a 27 inch iMac and these look really noisy (grainy) and very soft, especially when you click to its full size. Color looks decent at least
I'm looking at it on a 22" ViewSonic...I agree at 100% zoom it is a tad bit noisy, however at a more reasonable 5 x 7 print there is still plenty of detail, accurate color and not much noise. For a smart phone, if most of the pics I take under normal lighting conditions come out this way, I have no reason to complain.

SCSnare

May 20, 2011
www.mricks.com
I'm looking at it on a 22" ViewSonic...I agree at 100% zoom it is a tad bit noisy, however at a more reasonable 5 x 7 print there is still plenty of detail, accurate color and not much noise. For a smart phone, if most of the pics I take under normal lighting conditions come out this way, I have no reason to complain.

agreed

tibbys

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Just from knowing cameras, blurry pics are related to slow shutter speed due to the camera trying to use too low of an ISO or aperture for the lighting. Blurry pics are a result of your camera leaving the shutter open longer to let more light in and either your hand moving or the subject moving.

Unfortunately, unless you can change this manually (not sure if any patches give you access to controlling shutter speed or ISO), your only option to fix this is to turn on your flash or get a tripod (lol).

shutter and iso are separate

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
First of all, unless you're printing (and who prints cell phone images) you're going to size down even 5megapixel images to post them online (Facebook and Flickr size your photos down anyway unless you tell it not to, and be honest, that's where most of your cell phone pics are going).

99% of my photos go to FLICKR (family photo album stype stuff). I will take along my Canon 5DII if I'm only going to be acting as "photographer" for the event. I also try and bring along my Canon SD800 (point and shoot) as much as possible. But the fact is that over half of the family/friend moments I end up wanting to capture occur at times when all I have in my pocket is my phone. So the highest possible quality camera on my phone is a priority for me.

Secondly, PHYSICS tells us that smaller sensors with higher pixel density create more noisy images so 5mp could potentially be better than 8mp (as seen with iPhone 4).

This is *exactly* what I was hoping for in the case of the EVO 3D's 5mp sensors- but pretty much every image posted by every reviewer I've seen so far has me disappointed.

The best camera phone is going to be blown away by a DSLR and even some point & shoots with larger sensors (panasonic lumix GF2, Canon S95, etc) , and with the EyeFi app, you can get your DSLR pics onto your phone and post them online almost instantly.

Yeah everyone who cares about the images they are capturing should know this (I consider myself one). But I carry my DSLR 2% of the time, my point and shoot maybe 20% of the time, and my phone 100% of the time. So knowing that a phone camera won't match a "real" camera, I won't settle for anything less than the best possible phone camera I can get- which the EVO 3D, based on everything I've seen so far, clearly is NOT.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(32502)

EEEMasta

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, what monitor are you looking at these with? I have a 27 inch iMac and these look really noisy (grainy) and very soft, especially when you click to its full size. Color looks decent at least

Well I am viewing them from my 32 inch Samsung LED (ironically haha) and they look really good! Not washed out or grainy at all! I really do not know what all of the hate on the camera is for, those pictures are perfectly fine, and the colors are very well represented. This just reassured me 100% Unless the Galaxy S2 has a very visibly better camera, I think I am going to be super happy with my 3D, plus I don't much like TouchWiz...

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah everyone who cares about the images they are capturing should know this (I consider myself one). But I carry my DSLR 2% of the time, my point and shoot maybe 20% of the time, and my phone 100% of the time. So knowing that a phone camera won't match a "real" camera, I won't settle for anything less than the best possible phone camera I can get- which the EVO 3D, based on everything I've seen so far, clearly is NOT.

I agree with this.

How does the saying go... "The best camera is the one you have with you"

I was really excited when I found out they were dropping the pixel count of the sensor because I thought they were making a real effort to improve the low light quality. But its starting to feel like it was for the sole purpose of doing 3D.

Reactions: anon(32502)

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I am viewing them from my 32 inch Samsung LED (ironically haha) and they look really good! Not washed out or grainy at all! I really do not know what all of the hate on the camera is for, those pictures are perfectly fine, and the colors are very well represented. This just reassured me 100% Unless the Galaxy S2 has a very visibly better camera, I think I am going to be super happy with my 3D, plus I don't much like TouchWiz...

The Galaxy is made by Samsung who also makes cameras and the video processor in the iPhone. It's 8MP and shoots full 1080p video. Its much better than the camera on the 3D.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have stacks of printed Pics from my evo, printed from my hp web printer. Amazing colors. My friends look at these prints and are simply amazed they were taken with a phone and printed on a pc printer. I'm sure my evo 3d will be notified different.

EVO-LUTION 3D

thascourge

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Fair point. I personally hate shooting at anything wider than 35mm equivalent (which almost all cell phone cameras are, I'm pretty sure) and don't enjoy having the super deep depth of field that tiny sensors give. And even if you have a sensor that performs decently with noise, forget trying to get any decent dynamic range.

Sure, it's fun to do some super deep DOF shots with varying subjects in the foreground and background all in focus, but when I'm in serious shooting mode, I've got my 5D mk II where I can be in complete charge of all aspects of the photo.

If it's your main source of photos though and you don't mind fixed (wide) focal length, fixed aperture, super deep DOF, and lower dynamic range than a P&S or DSLR, then definitely go with the phone with the best camera.

nebke

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
How much of the picture capture is software related? Could the graininess be something that is caused by a weakness at the software side or is everything 100% hardware?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz