thascourge

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems like there are a lot of people considering not buying the 3D for the camera alone. What's up with this?

First of all, unless you're printing (and who prints cell phone images) you're going to size down even 5megapixel images to post them online (Facebook and Flickr size your photos down anyway unless you tell it not to, and be honest, that's where most of your cell phone pics are going).

Secondly, PHYSICS tells us that smaller sensors with higher pixel density create more noisy images so 5mp could potentially be better than 8mp (as seen with iPhone 4). Phone cameras also have poor quality lenses incapable of producing amazing quality shots that larger lenses can.

The best camera phone is going to be blown away by a DSLR and even some point & shoots with larger sensors (panasonic lumix GF2, Canon S95, etc) , and with the EyeFi app, you can get your DSLR pics onto your phone and post them online almost instantly.

bobdude5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems like there are a lot of people considering not buying the 3D for the camera alone. What's up with this?

First of all, unless you're printing (and who prints cell phone images) you're going to size down even 5megapixel images to post them online (Facebook and Flickr size your photos down anyway unless you tell it not to, and be honest, that's where most of your cell phone pics are going).

Secondly, PHYSICS tells us that smaller sensors with higher pixel density create more noisy images so 5mp could potentially be better than 8mp (as seen with iPhone 4). Phone cameras also have poor quality lenses incapable of producing amazing quality shots that larger lenses can.

The best camera phone is going to be blown away by a DSLR and even some point & shoots with larger sensors (panasonic lumix GF2, Canon S95, etc) , and with the EyeFi app, you can get your DSLR pics onto your phone and post them online almost instantly.
All the sample pictures I've seen from the reviews sites are kind of crappy :-( my epic 4g takes way better pictures. Its a shame because the sensation pictures look absouletly amazing

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
@thascourge Agreed! My Evo takes decent still pics but if theres any movement I get a blurry mess and sometimes my flash is too bright. But other than that my pics come out pretty good,certainly good enough to post on Facebook etc like you noted. Now as far as the blurry pics due to movement, can this be fixed with software or is it purely a hardware issue?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

thascourge

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just from knowing cameras, blurry pics are related to slow shutter speed due to the camera trying to use too low of an ISO or aperture for the lighting. Blurry pics are a result of your camera leaving the shutter open longer to let more light in and either your hand moving or the subject moving.

Unfortunately, unless you can change this manually (not sure if any patches give you access to controlling shutter speed or ISO), your only option to fix this is to turn on your flash or get a tripod (lol).

Symphony_of_Sickness

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i noticed the same thing with the camera shots from the reviews. all looked grainy and not even sharp. the nexus s 4g from what i saw in the forum on this site looked sharp as a tack. of course that's samsung. i don't know how good other cells are camera wise besides the nexus. i won't use the 3d camera part of the evo if i buy the phone this week. don't care. it's the normal camera that has me worried. i like all around nice pics that look sharp. my question on the evo 3d is if the shutter speed is fast enough where you don't have to hold the stupid cellphone still for 5 seconds for the picture to be taken. can you just press the button and bam it takes the shot without holding still for a few seconds.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I don't think anyone is really comparing to something like an SLR... but relative to others in the field today. It just doesn't seem to hold up.

Of course, all these reviews have seemed rushed to me, so you can't judge too much, but it seems like they could have improved more, instead of pushing for 3D.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
i noticed the same thing with the camera shots from the reviews. all looked grainy and not even sharp. the nexus s 4g from what i saw in the forum on this site looked sharp as a tack. of course that's samsung. i don't know how good other cells are camera wise besides the nexus. i won't use the 3d camera part of the evo if i buy the phone this week. don't care. it's the normal camera that has me worried. i like all around nice pics that look sharp. my question on the evo 3d is if the shutter speed is fast enough where you don't have to hold the stupid cellphone still for 5 seconds for the picture to be taken. can you just press the button and bam it takes the shot without holding still for a few seconds.

I'm not really saying that, I've seen sample pics on the 3D and they look good as far as still photos. My concern is with movement, I get a lot of blurry pics on my Evo 4g. I'm hoping they fix this on the 3D, as for Samsung they're camera is ok my wife has an epic and the pics look good but not a huge difference. Here pics look "good" on her phone because of the over saturated colors and cartoony like screen. Which she likes, but I prefer more accurate colors and higher resolution. But when we view them on the computer or print them out they look about the same.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Exactly!!!! I don't know why people want 3D for camera alone. Does it mean they can't afford DSLR or prefer to "handfree" camera? Anyways, the "possible" 3D I am been thinking about buying it but I am not 100% sure about it. I don't care about 3D pictures or videos but I do care about what 3D offers for lifestyle such as good apps, text, call, email, or anything like that. As Deaf person, I'm considering about front facing camera (VGA). I don't know much about it but I'm "hoping" it's as good as Samsung Epic. I have seen Deaf people use Epic to video chat. They give out thumbs up. So I have to wait when EVO 3D release. I will drop by in Sprint store to check if it's good speed and VGA. If not like it, I always go for Epic. That's only good Android 2.2, though! (I think)

For 3D camera, nah, I don't need it. I have DSLR with me to anywhere without re-taking pictures or complaining about how blurry pictures are. ;)

joejoe1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Exactly!!!! I don't know why people want 3D for camera alone. Does it mean they can't afford DSLR or prefer to "handfree" camera? Anyways, the "possible" 3D I am been thinking about buying it but I am not 100% sure about it. I don't care about 3D pictures or videos but I do care about what 3D offers for lifestyle such as good apps, text, call, email, or anything like that. As Deaf person, I'm considering about front facing camera (VGA). I don't know much about it but I'm "hoping" it's as good as Samsung Epic. I have seen Deaf people use Epic to video chat. They give out thumbs up. So I have to wait when EVO 3D release. I will drop by in Sprint store to check if it's good speed and VGA. If not like it, I always go for Epic. That's only good Android 2.2, though! (I think)

For 3D camera, nah, I don't need it. I have DSLR with me to anywhere without re-taking pictures or complaining about how blurry pictures are. ;)

Evo 3d's front facing camera is 1.3 MP which is higher count than a VGA camera.

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

even tho the camera is a downgrade from my old phone, and i use my phone as my main camera... i just don't care. i loves the evo 3d too much, so much that i was willing to pay the early termination fee on verizon just to switch. i probably would not have done that if they would have replaced my broken phone, but meh... it was out of warranty so i can't really blame them.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah all the pics look good imo.

Myriam who was the main person to complain about the camera actually took other pictures that look amazing imo with the phones camera. (for folks that don't know, she reviewed the Evo 3D for engadget)
The dapper @deathandfood :) #EVO3D on Twitpic
Happy pride month, ya'all! Baked makes the best cupcakes... on Twitpic
Mmmm, mutants! #EVO3D on Twitpic
Another portrait of handsome @deathandfood #EVO3D on Twitpic
I really don't understand why she bashed the camera now:confused:. I think the quality of these are great.

Reactions: joejoe1

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if it has the same features the Sensation does? Like being able to zoom and manual focus while shooting a video, control the sharpness, saturation etc..I know the 3D is only 5MP and only 720p but if its half as good as the camera on my Sensation, which is excellent, you guys have nothing to worry about.

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the EVO OG and it's camera is balls compared to the iPhones. In nice sunny days, sure it looks great but in normal light indoors or at a resturant in low light...man its aweful compared to the iPhone. I'm not expecting DSLR but its completely reasonable to expect your super phones' camera to perform as well as an older model point and shoot in my opinion. Focus, glad to hear the sensation camera is performing well, how many phones to do you have?? I thought you were a Nexus guy in waiting for the SGS2?

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the EVO OG and it's camera is balls compared to the iPhones. In nice sunny days, sure it looks great but in normal light indoors or at a resturant in low light...man its aweful compared to the iPhone. I'm not expecting DSLR but its completely reasonable to expect your super phones' camera to perform as well as an older model point and shoot in my opinion. Focus, glad to hear the sensation camera is performing well, how many phones to do you have?? I thought you were a Nexus guy in waiting for the SGS2?

Hmmm, I should try the Sensation in low light right now, havent yet. I still have the Nexus too haha. I think I will be keeping the Sensation though, TMobile spotty 4G reception aside. I really cant find anything other than the speakerphone I like better on the Nexus. Yes, the S2...another reason I switched to TMobile. I am seriously thinking about buying an unlocked one, I dunno. Gonna play with the Sensation longer and decide.

bobdude5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone wanting a decent camera that can be used for the basic quick shots. In saying that, these sample pics from infosync's review have me fairly optimistic that this 5MP shooter should be more than useable.
HTC EVO 3D Photo & Video Samples

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/htc/htc_evo_3d_s01.jpg

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/htc/htc_evo_3d_s05.jpg

Oh those are very nice I didn't see those :) okay I am completely reassured now :) those look better than my epics :) and the HTC camera app has really a lot of customization options.
Be

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everyone wanting a decent camera that can be used for the basic quick shots. In saying that, these sample pics from infosync's review have me fairly optimistic that this 5MP shooter should be more than useable.
HTC EVO 3D Photo & Video Samples

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/htc/htc_evo_3d_s01.jpg

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/htc/htc_evo_3d_s05.jpg

Hmmm, what monitor are you looking at these with? I have a 27 inch iMac and these look really noisy (grainy) and very soft, especially when you click to its full size. Color looks decent at least

bobdude5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, what monitor are you looking at these with? I have a 27 inch iMac and these look really noisy (grainy) and very soft, especially when you click to its full size. Color looks decent at least

They look great on my 10.1 galaxy tab and my 13 inch MacBook :) don't have anything bigger so I can compare but I know that the the camera app lets you modify the ISO levels so a reduction might reduce the grainy ness for you. The motorcycle one looks great, the jackolanter one I see very very little noise but IMO it makes that specific pic look nicer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781