Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, got the 3VO about 30 mins ago and it's set up on my wife's line (second line) even though I have Gold status on the primary line. Called Sprint to take care of that.

Looks great, 3D camera makes me dizzy. Sense 3.0 is great but I've already seen it on a EVO 4G rom so it's not anything new. HTC Hub or whatever it's called is working and gives some nice loooking scenes and skins. Music sounds good. Nice overall feel of the phone. I am still an HTC fan.

It's on the charger now.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Initial thoughts on my first 4 hours with the Evo3D

Got the phone around 1:30 and have been playing around since. A couple of quick pro's and con's I am noticing for myself:

Pros:

- Phone is blazing fast, each app is very responsive when you start it. Switching through all screens is fluid and Sense 3.0 is awesome.

- It autosynced about 75% of my apps off of my old phone(which was a Hero)didn't have to do anything, very cool feature.

- qHD looks good, weather and other widgets look flawless

- 4.3" screen is just pure sexy, coming from the Hero this is a huge improvement

Cons:

- Call quality has not been that good. Called about 4 different people and talked for a few minutes to each. You can hear the person very well but there is this static in the background that doesn't go away. I experienced it with each call.

- When customizing the 4 apps on the lockscreen I lost the phone app. Some people are reporting when they downloaded the OTA update it disappeared. Mine did not go away after it, however when I changed 2 of the other apps and hit apply the phone app did disappear and it is not on the apps list to put back on the lock screen. Kind of annoying.

- Starring at the 3D for too long made me nauseous. The pictures looked very good but trying to go through all 15 on the phone was just too much. The viewing angle wasn't as bad as I read on some reviews either

If there is any question anyone wants to know before they get the phone on Friday ask away, I'll do my best to tell you what you want to know.

umitasu

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This phone is nice so far. One small issue I think might be a problem is the back cover. It comes off like the old one however the cut out part around the camera button might be a problem in time. I think its gonna crack if your the type that has to change batteries a lot.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone around 1:30 and have been playing around since. A couple of quick pro's and con's I am noticing for myself:

Pros:

- Phone is blazing fast, each app is very responsive when you start it. Switching through all screens is fluid and Sense 3.0 is awesome.

- It autosynced about 75% of my apps off of my old phone(which was a Hero)didn't have to do anything, very cool feature.

- qHD looks good, weather and other widgets look flawless

- 4.3" screen is just pure sexy, coming from the Hero this is a huge improvement

Cons:

- Call quality has not been that good. Called about 4 different people and talked for a few minutes to each. You can hear the person very well but there is this static in the background that doesn't go away. I experienced it with each call.

- When customizing the 4 apps on the lockscreen I lost the phone app. Some people are reporting when they downloaded the OTA update it disappeared. Mine did not go away after it, however when I changed 2 of the other apps and hit apply the phone app did disappear and it is not on the apps list to put back on the lock screen. Kind of annoying.

- Starring at the 3D for too long made me nauseous. The pictures looked very good but trying to go through all 15 on the phone was just too much. The viewing angle wasn't as bad as I read on some reviews either

If there is any question anyone wants to know before they get the phone on Friday ask away, I'll do my best to tell you what you want to know.
One other thing. There is a task manager on the Evo3D. One thing I can't really understand is that it says total memory is 803 MB. Says 508 MB used and 295 Free. But I have no apps running. I know Sense uses a lot but that seemed like to much.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow 3D is so much better then led to believe. The spider man game is sick 3D. My kids were amazed as well. Love it. With all the reviews from people with an agenda i was expecting very poor 3D quality, not the case.

EVO - LUTION 3D

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
How's your signal? My wife's BlackBerry Curve (original model) gets a better signal than my EVO 4G, and I've been dropping a lot of calls lately. I'm up for renewal July 1, but now I'm not sure what route to go.

I'm also interested in battery life, which is the only other negative I've had with my original EVO. Other than these two issues, it has been the best phone I've owned, and I've had numerous smartphones.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How's your signal? My wife's BlackBerry Curve (original model) gets a better signal than my EVO 4G, and I've been dropping a lot of calls lately. I'm up for renewal July 1, but now I'm not sure what route to go.

I'm also interested in battery life, which is the only other negative I've had with my original EVO. Other than these two issues, it has been the best phone I've owned, and I've had numerous smartphones.

Signal has been pretty good. I have had between 3-5 bars on 3g and no dropped calls. Haven't been on 4g that much. As for battery the phone just got done charging so I will get back to you after I see how long it takes to drain.

Reactions: JackG058

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
One other thing. There is a task manager on the Evo3D. One thing I can't really understand is that it says total memory is 803 MB. Says 508 MB used and 295 Free. But I have no apps running. I know Sense uses a lot but that seemed like to much.

the OG EVO uses about 350. it's not a stretch to thing that sense 3 would take 150 more.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Signal has been pretty good. I have had between 3-5 bars on 3g and no dropped calls. Haven't been on 4g that much. As for battery the phone just got done charging so I will get back to you after I see how long it takes to drain.

So is the signal strength equal, better, or worse than what you experienced with your Hero. Also, in what type of Sprint area are you in?

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been setting mine up for a hour now. This device is amazing. So fast, wow. I have better reception on both data and phone then i had with my evo. Where I am sitting i was always short one bar of having full strength wifi. The evo 3d has all bars lit up so wifi radio is definitely better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

This is the kind of information I'm really needing. My launch day EVO 4G doesn't get cell reception nearly as well as my wife's BlackBerry. Recently I've been dropping calls on a regular basis. So, I'm really hopeful the new 3D has a better radio.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So is the signal strength equal, better, or worse than what you experienced with your Hero. Also, in what type of Sprint area are you in?

It has been slightly better. My cm7 hero was pulling 2-4 bars usually. I'm in charlotte, nc so coverage is pretty good here. I thought 4g would be a little better since the coverage map showed charlotte as being covered. However I have only been to work and back home so hopefully it will get better.

mcmikel

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I will have mine by late AM (pacific). I will try to post an over view of the 3D.

We are actually a 3D content studio and distributor. I can?t wait to see the new Linkin Park Iridescent 3D Music Video from Transformers 3 we are just finishing on the HTC EVO 3D. I am really big into 3D (obviously I need to be since it?s my job) so I don?t have too high of expectations of the early stages of 3D on mobile devices. Keep in mind that this is a Parallax barrier so it?s nothing like 3D in the theaters or homes. It is very similar to the Nintendo 3DS 3D technology. I will also test tons of other content that we have made for 3D mobile devices to see how the 3D looks.

-Mike
Ok so here is my initial assessment so far:

Typical Parallax barrier performance. You have to be holding the phone about 8" - 10" from your face and you need to be looking directly at the screen. If you move your head or the phone in any way the image will jump. This is why the reviews are so bad on the 3D feature of the phone. If people understood 3D (or HTC properly educated people what to expect with a Parallax Barrier, the reviews would not crush the 3D feature so bad.) and you knew that the performance is not theater quality or home 3D TV quality, people would be more understanding. This is glasses free, we are still years out on making this perfect! For now, I love it and will be enjoying it even more when I upload some content to You Tube for playback on my Panasonic 3D TV.

I tried using the stock photos, they look great in 3D except one or two pictures has convergence issues. Keep in mind folks, when you use the camera in 3D, you can NOT get too close to an object. Just like your eyes, if you hold one figure in front of your face and move it to close to your eyes, you cannot focus on it. Same goes for 3D cameras but even more so on this phone since the cameras are closer together than your eyes are.

I tried to play the free movie "The Green Hornet in 3D" but I get an error - This content has reached its maximum activations 0. To me this looks like a licensing issue through HTC's video streaming service pre installed called "HTC Watch"

I loaded Linkin Parks new 3D music video "Iridescent" from Transformers 3 that we are just finishing the 3D on and it looks Phenomenal! So far it looks better than any preloaded content that I have seen! One quick note, the phone will NOT playback H264.mov 3D files. The file needs to be encoded as a true .MP4 3D side by side.

I will post more as I play with the phone later tonight. I am loading on the phone about 20-30 3D pieces of short films to test out. If you have a any questions, ask away and I will do my best to answer.

Mike

Reactions: jasonaward

Kevin_G_Sanchez

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone. my opinion is that this phone is an upgrade from the HTC EVO 4G. It is much more smoother and fast and awesome. The 3D I dont really care about but it does hurt my eyes. I love all the new additions too HTC SENSE. I just can't seem to find the HTC widget of the battery and flashlight app.

FletchBerry

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm at hour number three.

First off the Spiderman 3D quality is just as good as the Nintendo 3DS image quality I played at GameStop. I think it looks great and I cannot wait until I have some time to play more.

I saw the weirdest thing. You see I have a secure exchange email from work. This requires me to enter a PIN every I unlock the phone. With the phone set to 3D mode and the screen locked I dragged the camera into the ring and the PIN dial pad appeared in 3D. It was moving very speratically left to right.

I simply pressed the power button and the screen turned off. Then I switched the phone to 2D mode and was able to unlock.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk