Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
Spent 4 hours setting the phone up with all the apps and transferring contacts and calendar.

Some quick thoughts...

• There is an update already to download, so do this first.
  • I copied the music samples and movie of the micoSD card and onto a new 32gb MicroSD Card.
  • Screen is really nice.
  • Keyboard is a little smaller.
  • You have to use HTC sync 3.x to work with the phone and your desktop.
  • Sync'd my phone using HTC Sync 3.x with my Outlook Contacts and Calendar
  • Sync via Bluetooth contacts to my ACURA MDX
  • HTCSense.com Online is pretty cool with HTC Hub. Find your phone, make it ring GeoTrack
  • The new message app is really nice.
  • Flashlight is gone.
  • Lots and lots more widgets.
  • Still trying to find the battery widget.
  • 3D Camera will make you dizzy! Dizzy! DIZZY!
  • You have to push hard on the shutter button for it to take a picture.
  • Click and holding the shutter button automatically launches the camera.
  • Contacts look the same.
  • The calendar app is nicely improved.
  • Icon names are truncated a little more on the screens due to the smaller width than the original EVO. Boots much faster, very responsive.
  • Sense 3.0 is nice
  • Updated Weater App is very Animated and Pretty
  • New Task Manager is nice and I have 803mb of memory and using 549mb
  • Enhancements to the Music App
  • Could not get Green Hornet to Play after signing up for the HTC Hub

--Jon

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Out of box i charged for 2 hours, it got to 99 percent and I had to go food shopping. 2 hours and about ten text messages later it only dropped to 96.wow wow wow

EVO - LUTION 3D

ATC Buckeye

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Loving mine so far but dang you need a bachelor's degree to figure this thing out in the beginning. It made me feel real old at first but I'm getting the hang of it. No reception problems. Battery is doing ok so far too. The internet is unbelievable compared to my blackberry.

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
Camera is not as good as the EVO 4G. They should have kept the same camera and skipped the 3D gimmick. The EVO 4G Camera was pretty damn good.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Camera is not as good as the EVO 4G. They should have kept the same camera and skipped the 3D gimmick. The EVO 4G Camera was pretty damn good.

Camera is better than original EVO especially in the dark when you need to use he flash - EVO4G is absolutely useless for this. I just took a picture of my direct tv remote with both phones. EVO3D pic was sharp and very impressive. Original 3D pic was a blur of white, couldn't even tell there were buttons while you could clearly read the numbers on the buttons from the EVO3d pic. Also, I thought 3 D was a gimmick too until I played he Spiderman game - woman ran right at me. I was really blown away when I saw a 3D Youtube video with a guys surfing, skying, etc - thought I was there. 3D is here to stay. I like you, was up in arms about 3d and the fact that they should have just improved the camera and skipped the gimmick - basically give us the Sensation. My mind had changed, I am very impressed. The Evo 3D is hands down the best phone available right now. I am starting to wonder what those pro reviewers were sipping on or how mcu they are getting paid by Apple.

wcmarchese#AC

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Just trying to see if something is normal on my EVO 3D.

Try running your finger against the glass on the back, is one side down into the phone a tiny bit more than the other side?

WCM

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Won't be picking mine up until Friday, but I stopped in a local Sprint store and played with their demo unit tonight. Some quick impressions:

1. It is EXTREMELY smooth. Transitions from application to application, opening menus, etc happen instantaneously. If you noticed your 4G get faster with the Gingerbread update, this device is even FASTER. Like warp factor 9.5 fast....ENGAGE!

2. The 3D functionality is actually pretty sweet, and the picture quality is much better than I expected. Of note, photos that are taken at a distance don't have much of a 3D effect, but once something shows up in the foreground, it REALLY pops off the screen. If you plan on using the phone to take pictures at a distance, you might just want to shoot 'em in 2D. If the subject is up close, kick the 3D on and be ready to be impressed.

3. My eyeballs felt weird after viewing 3D content...hard to explain. Not really painful, but it was a bit strange adjusting to normal after viewing the screen. Almost like the vitreous was a bit scrambled for a few secs, but it passed very quickly...perhaps 10 secs at the most. No headache though.

4. There is a very cool "power conserve" mode you can easily activate from the windowshade when the battery gets low. It dims the screen, etc. automatically when activated...a very nice quality-of-life addition. I see this as a function we'll ALL use, but I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet...very nice.

5. As far as signal strength goes, I couldn't do any concrete testing, but I placed my 4G next to the 3D and they both had equal numbers of bars. When the 4G had six bars, so did the 3D. When the signal dipped to 4 bars on the 4G, the 3D did as well. There was perhaps a 1 or 2 second difference between them, but they appeared to be equal.

6. No shocker here, but Sense 3.0 is flippin' sweet.

7. Texture on the back of the phone is nice, but not quite as grippy as I was expecting. Weight is good, about like a 4G. It seems to feel more natural in the hand than the 4G as the edges feel rounder. It definitely feels less likely to inadvertently fall out of your hand than the original EVO, which is something I was constantly nervous about after I first got mine. This just seems to be more comfortable to hold.

8. Phone wasn't activated, so I couldn't test call quality.

9. The screen is absolutely FANTASTIC. The pictures I viewed both in 2D and 3D were very sharp...better than I expected by far. I never thought the 4G screen was poor, but the qHD blows it right out of the water.

All in all, I'm happy I preordered, and I no longer put any stock in the tepid reviews that came out a few days ago. Looking forward to this one...

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
First impressions:

+ I am as impressed with the 3D as i was last June with the EVO 4G.

+ Absolutely no signal issues at all, I've had it next to an EVO 4G all day and they have been nearly identical. WiFi seems to be better on the 3D.

+ Call quality is actually better on the 3D than on the 4G. I always thought the volume was to low on the 4G, It's much improved on the 3D.

+ I've seen a few bad comments on the speaker, I feel it's on par if not a little better than the 4G. On speakerphone people sound very clear and plenty loud enough.

+ Sense 3.0 is in one word, awesome. The phone is incredibly fast and very smooth. I feel like I finally have an android phone that is as smooth as an iPhone.

+ The screen is a big upgrade from the EVO 4G. Colors are more vibrant and It's just a sharp clear picture. Very nice.

+ Going to play with the Camera more before i make too many comments about it. But first impression, It's not bad and I thought the 3D pictures looked better than I thought they would.

+ That's enough for now, I will use it for a few days before making a final judgement, but right now i definitely feel it is upgrade worthy from the EVO 4G.

Reactions: ToddK and JackG058

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Camera is better than original EVO especially in the dark when you need to use he flash - EVO4G is absolutely useless for this. I just took a picture of my direct tv remote with both phones. EVO3D pic was sharp and very impressive. Original 3D pic was a blur of white, couldn't even tell there were buttons while you could clearly read the numbers on the buttons from the EVO3d pic. Also, I thought 3 D was a gimmick too until I played he Spiderman game - woman ran right at me. I was really blown away when I saw a 3D Youtube video with a guys surfing, skying, etc - thought I was there. 3D is here to stay. I like you, was up in arms about 3d and the fact that they should have just improved the camera and skipped the gimmick - basically give us the Sensation. My mind had changed, I am very impressed. The Evo 3D is hands down the best phone available right now. I am starting to wonder what those pro reviewers were sipping on or how mcu they are getting paid by Apple.

Hey man, im with you, watched same youtube video,, wow. And the Spiderman game,,,, outstanding. Went in with low hopes with the 3d part because of what was being said about it by a few with a agenda most likely, but it is pretty darn cool for a PHONE.

EVO - LUTION 3D

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just took a 3D video and now only did I think it was pretty cool, i showed it to my wife and she is not easily impressed with this stuff but she smiled and said "holy sh"", that is awsome ". Lol

EVO - LUTION 3D

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The 3d pics and video gives me a headache..kinda dizzy...but i have motion sickeness as well..the pics remind me of those old pictures from the 90's where you had to stare at them with a blank look to see the hidden pic in the background.. The 3d seems to work the same way...you have to kind of look at the pic with a blank stare and let the picture focus to your eyes...cool effect, seems like a lot of work to look at pic

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not reading through everybody else's so apologies for duplications...

Loving:
- Speed of the whole device. UI in particular and seems to hold Wifi speeds better.
- Music speaker is amazing
- 3D capture of pictures is awesome. Videos is really good too but it does seem you can see it get out of focus every once in awhile but playback cool.
- Youtube playback of 3D items are awesome.
- Size of device feels better...I think the narrower, taller works better (for me at least)
- Sense 3.0 is awesome. Had the hacked version on my EVO, amazing how much better it performs on this device.
- Ability to pull in Picasa in default gallery app
- Dedicated camera button.

Ehhhh...not big deals but....
- The way I hold the phone it seems the camera button is in the way.
- bottom buttons seem way too bright
- Seems Sense has a couple quirks when browsing all apps...might be fixed in the update, I haven't applied it yet.
- Youtube app seems to freak a bit going between 3D and 2D
- My Green Hornet doesn't work
- Wish scrolling all apps had an option of allowing free scroll, not only page by page
- Need root! Restoring all my apps and logins is killing me

Don't get why reviewers bagged on:
- Power and volume buttons...work fine for me
- 3D....I mean I guess I can see, it can make your eyes feel weird, and not very angle is perfect, but damn, it looks GOOD.

Not tried yet:
- 4G speed
- Can you convert a 3D picture to 2D?? Same just take one of the images as a still?
- DLNA
- Front camera
- Battery life

Very happy so far....and able to keep the original Evo in the family

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think if you have to stare at the phone to slowly get the 3d effect, you're going to be more prone to get headaches. I didn't get dizzy while playing witht he Radio Shack unit, and didn't get a headache either. I am in a weird spot right now because I am overly tired from having to get up at 5 am yesterday morning, drive for 6 hours, work until 3 am, and only running on 5 hours of sleep last night so my eyes just feel tired to begin with.

For the person that played with the Sprint demo unit, was that an actual retail phone that just hadn't been activated yet, or was it a demo unit that plays some crazy demo all the time and which has no lock screen since the demo video starts as soon as you try to turn the screen on and off. Everytime that stupid demo started, and you hit the home button from there, Sense had to load itself again.

With this particular demo unit Sense did not feel completely butter smooth and the scrolling from one screen to the next in the app launcher seemed a bit jerky. This demo phone was running software version 1.11.xx.xxx

Just wondering if the full retail version is even smoother and faster.

Reactions: huix0018

bubba93

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today... The phone is great. It's fast, the build quality is nice, and the 3d is cool. It really plays great with 3d YouTube. Only complaint.... External speaker sucks. Not loud enough and very distorted.

-Showking
i thought it had some special "srs" feature you could turn on to enhances the external audio?