Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

Showking

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The phone is really good.. Build quality, feel, 3d, and speed are all there. The biggest issue for me is by far the external speaker, which SUCKS. Otherwise a fantastic phone.

mr22android

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Got my Evo 3D yesterday. It was waiting for me on my front door step when I got home. All I can say is coming from a Palm Pre-, this thing is AWESOME! For people who say the 3D feature is a novelty, that may be so, but I am loving it. The pictures are fantastic and the video was very impressive watching in 3D on the phone. The screen is crystal clear and I can see details I couldn't see with my Pre-. Android does take a little getting used to, but when the hardware is this awesome with such cool features it is well worth the learning curve. I tested 4G and it works great at my house and my office. Calls have all been clear and my bluetooth headset works perfectly with the Evo 3D. I setup all my email accounts and am loving the voice recognition software. Especially when using it with my BlueAnt Q2. I did have a problem getting the Green Hornet to work, but I figured out that it has to be done through the 4g or 3g connections and won't activate over wifi. So far all I can say is I am very pleased with my purchase. I am watching the Green Hornet in 3D right now as I type this. This is by far my best phone purchase ever. Considering it is more powerful than my first 5 desktop computers I have owned in my life, maybe I should say this is one of my best computer purchases ever.

Mark

Last edited:

osker83

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Received my EVO 3D yesterday and had a chance in playing with it and the sense 3.0 is awesome!! I like the way it looks and the speed is amazing.. I knew I couldn't believe all the reviews out there.. I had to see it for myself.. I know when a new device comes out it might have problems.. I can deal with it.. actually my signal is stronger than my original EVO where I live.. the 3D doesn't give me a headache :)

The battery life is great!! I charged it when I received it which was 5pm pt yesterday and I still have 45 percent of battery left with no charge.. and I used the internet and downloaded stuff.. There is a bug when updatING a new update and the phone icon from the lock screen disappears but no biggy I can live with it.. I like the feel because its longer and thinner I can get a nice grip on it.. the dedicated camera is nice to have and is very useful!!

When taking pictures I was amazed how the quality is and taking them in 3D is fun and does look 3D I don't have to move the phone so I can see 3D I just star at it for around 3 seconds and I can see the 3D. I know the 3D is gimmicky but a nice feature to have!! The preloaded 3D pics are amazing to look at.  I am disappointed that they have taken out the kickstand and put the charging port on the side but this didn't stop me from getting this amazing phone!! Also the speaker isn't loud enough and I hope it gets fixed in an update soon.. I would recommend it without a doubt because its fast and looks so beautiful!!

grhodes1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone around 1:30 and have been playing around since. A couple of quick pro's and con's I am noticing for myself:

Pros:

- Phone is blazing fast, each app is very responsive when you start it. Switching through all screens is fluid and Sense 3.0 is awesome.

- It autosynced about 75% of my apps off of my old phone(which was a Hero)didn't have to do anything, very cool feature.

- qHD looks good, weather and other widgets look flawless

- 4.3" screen is just pure sexy, coming from the Hero this is a huge improvement

Cons:

- Call quality has not been that good. Called about 4 different people and talked for a few minutes to each. You can hear the person very well but there is this static in the background that doesn't go away. I experienced it with each call.

- When customizing the 4 apps on the lockscreen I lost the phone app. Some people are reporting when they downloaded the OTA update it disappeared. Mine did not go away after it, however when I changed 2 of the other apps and hit apply the phone app did disappear and it is not on the apps list to put back on the lock screen. Kind of annoying.

- Starring at the 3D for too long made me nauseous. The pictures looked very good but trying to go through all 15 on the phone was just too much. The viewing angle wasn't as bad as I read on some reviews either

If there is any question anyone wants to know before they get the phone on Friday ask away, I'll do my best to tell you what you want to know.
do you think the cons are ota fixable? My friend whose a manager at a local sprint store said he's under the impression that htc is allready preparing another ota update within the week

hgravez

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Could others comment as to the effect a screen protector has on image (3D and otherwise)? An earlier post stated that it killed the overall screen image and the 3D effect. It would seem ridiculous that one could not protect the screen on these things without that effect.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, because I did not read the whole post, but everyone is saying the wifi is better, which is because the Evo 4g only had b/g (ridiculous) but now the Evo 3D has b/g/n, which explains why it is drastically better.

EDIT: I also have a question, has anyone checked out the capacitive button light leakage (like the Evo 4g had) because on the review by Techno Buffalo I noticed it looked like it was leaking (that makes me very disappointed in htc if it is not fixed)

Not sure I agree with the wifi improvement being that it supports n now. How many people are actually on n networks? Mine's not yet it's great. The only thing I can compare to is a Pre, BB and EVO 4G as far as mobile devices (not net book or laptops). The EVO has been great but the new 3D isn't any better. Both have great range as well.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Could others comment as to the effect a screen protector has on image (3D and otherwise)? An earlier post stated that it killed the overall screen image and the 3D effect. It would seem ridiculous that one could not protect the screen on these things without that effect.

I heard the same thing but if this phone has gorilla glass like I believe I read then you shouldn't need a screen protector.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
do you think the cons are ota fixable? My friend whose a manager at a local sprint store said he's under the impression that htc is allready preparing another ota update within the week

To some degree yes. As for the call quality mine has been hit or miss, sometimes I still hear the static(which isn't that bad) and sometimes it sounds clear. I don't know for sure if that could be fixed by OTA. The glitch about the phone app coming off could surely be fixed in an OTA update. As for the 3D some people can look at it and feel fine and others like myself can't stare at it for to long with a headache or nausea. The pictures look great but I feel like I'm going cross-eyed, kinda like when I used to look at all the magic eye pictures when I was younger lol.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with battery life too. I ran mine for about 8 hours including trying to play that goofy Spiderman 3D game to try to tax the thing and it still kept going. Today it's going and in about 6 hours it's probably 90% or better. Obviously not getting the same use.

My daughters EVO lasts about 6-7 hours of moderate use. So much that she powers it off to save battery. I can't convince her to just turn off the screen.

I'm new to Android but Facebook and Twitter are on the thing, I set up the accounts, but the apps aren't there. They were on the other EVO. That may be a user thing. :)

I actually like the size of the old EVO better, only because of the Tiny bit of extra screen size. But it is heavier too.

The only thing that really bugs be is how the 2d/3d button is slightly loose and sort of rattles when handled just right. I'm not crazy aout it being there to begin with, but I sure hope it was intended to be more solid. Everything works fine though.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I heard the same thing but if this phone has gorilla glass like I believe I read then you shouldn't need a screen protector.

Yes, they do have Gorilla Glass. I've seen EVO's that get hard, nearly abusive use that have perfect, out of the box screens.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I have a crystal clear screen protector on it right now and it DOES NOT effect the picture at all.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 with the EVO 3D, and i haven't changed my mind at all. This phone rocks! Going to websites that I did with my EVO 4G is weird, there are colors on them that weren't there on the 4G. The screen is way better IMO, but not overly saturated with color like you can get with Samsung phones. Signal and Call quality continue to be outstanding. I personally think the Speaker is fine, plenty loud enough and very clear. I mean it is a phone speaker we're talking about. Definitely worth the upgrade from the 4G.

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Upon opening the simple minimalist box I noticed the 1730mah battery was already inside the device. The device is wrapped with a clear plastic with detailed instructions how to remove the back cover safely. You have to unwrap the device's battery prior to turning it on. The battery had enough juice to power it on but I decided to give it a full charge while activating it.

The device powers up in about 60 seconds harnessing the dual core power right out of the box.
The animations are brilliant and brief. The device goes through a few prompts for hands free activation, then PRL updates, then firmware updates. The new MR update was not sent out when I received my device so I had to manually update it later in the week.
Set up:
My set up was fast and easy. I easily signed into Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Yahoo with ease and speed. HTC Sense 3.0 has been totally invigorated with a new UI that allows the lock screen to be used as a quick app access. Just slide your app into the lock ring and you are there in a flash! You can choose to personalize it with a few quick clicks on the main menu. The HTC Sense UI has some wonderful add ons to the drop down menu as well. You can see your last 5 apps accessed in the top menu. The bottom menu has two tabs that gives you ?notifications and quick settings? to adjust all your radios in a breeze.

Speed:
Right out of the box when you turn on the device you can see HTC has designed a device that is built perfectly with multitasking and ease of use in mind. The HTC Sense changes have e not only been built with multitasking and speed but simplicity in mind. The dual core never lags and if you feel that you want to free up some room on the device Sprint and HTC have given you the ability to remove the pre-loaded apps such as: NASCAR, Blockbuster, Sprint TV, and Telenav. Unfortunately you cannot remove all the pre-loaded content but the device moves so fast you will hardly notice its presence.

Camera Quality:
The device comes with an amazing 2D/3D switch and camera shutter button on the side of the phone built with amazing craftsmanship. The 3D pictures come out accurate in low light and the flash works really well. The 2D pictures are not exactly as eye popping or stunning but they are definitely on par with other 5mp camera's quality. I took a few shots in 3D in my home office and noticed the depth and 3D quality right away.

Call Quality:
I performed a few test calls to my friend on an EVO 4G and he stated I sounded clear. I flipped the phone over and the self-activating speakerphone (HTC perk!) transferred the sound with speed and rich quality. The speakerphone isn't exactly what I would call loud, but you can hear the call clearly within 4-5 feet with little to no muffles.

Data over 3G / 4G:
I successfully signed into my all accounts, email, social networks while indoors in just under five minutes on 3G. I turned on 4G to download all my apps and connected successfully on the first try. I am lucky enough to be in a great 4G coverage area. I get about 1-2 bars of signal and an average of 2.0 Mbps down link on 4G and .38 Mbps down link on 3G, respectively.

Battery Life:
The biggest sell point on any device is use. We all need a device that can tote the power, ease of use, and multitasking ability all day long. In the 3 days I have had this device I have charged it to full battery twice. No lie. The first charge last 18 hours with heavy use: playing the Spider Man game over Wi-Fi, watching about 30 minutes of The Green Hornet, Social Networking, and browsing around the devices add ons: HTC Hub, HTC Watch, HTC Likes, Media Share, and a few others. Granted, I was on WIFI the entire 18 hours. I recently clocked over 26 hours with light to medium use such as: Texting, Voice calls, tweeting, social networking, taking a few pictures here and there, and using GPS (Sporty Pal PRO) to calculate my bike ride (2.5 miles) while streaming Pandora over 3G.

Verdict:
While this phone has the potential to blow everyone's expectations away only time will tell. Some reviews are really farfetched, some are painfully accurate, but only your personal use will dictate how you really feel about having dual core speeds and 3D capabilities on the fly. With many mobile websites jumping on the so called 3D bandwagon it's hard to ignore that Sprint has once again out done themselves with an industry first. I have no dizziness and no problems with the 3D experience whatsoever. It's just another amazing feature that the competition will call a gimmick until they possess it themselves. The device is a solid, robust, upgrade to an industry first of flagship devices. It will be hard to put down and ignore this summer as well as the rest of the year.

Disclaimer:
Your 3G/ 4G speeds may vary depending on location. Your 3D experience may vary depending on use & if you are subject to nausea from pure awesomeness.

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
My HTC EVO Initial review

After having my HTC EVO 3D for about 3 full days, I can fully confirm that this is Sprint's next flagship model with great appeal, speed, and value.
Upon opening the simple minimalist box I noticed the 130mah battery was already inside the device. The device is wrapped with a clear plastic with detailed instructions how to remove the back cover safely. You have to unwrap the device's battery prior to turning it on. The battery had enough juice to power it on but I decided to give it a full charge while activating it.

The device powers up in about 60 seconds harnessing the dual core power right out of the box.
The animations are brilliant and brief. The device goes through a few prompts for hands free activation, then PRL updates, then firmware updates. The new MR update was not sent out when I received my device so I had to manually update it later in the week.

Set up:
My set up was fast and easy. I easily signed into Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Yahoo with ease and speed. HTC Sense 3.0 has been totally invigorated with a new UI that allows the lock screen to be used as a quick app access. Just slide your app into the lock ring and you are there in a flash! You can choose to personalize it with a few quick clicks on the main menu. The HTC Sense UI has some wonderful add ons to the drop down menu as well. You can see your last 5 apps accessed in the top menu. The bottom menu has two tabs that gives you ?notifications and quick settings? to adjust all your radios in a breeze.

Speed:
Right out of the box when you turn on the device you can see HTC has designed a device that is built perfectly with multitasking and ease of use in mind. The HTC Sense changes have e not only been built with multitasking and speed but simplicity in mind. The dual core never lags and if you feel that you want to free up some room on the device Sprint and HTC have given you the ability to remove the pre-loaded apps such as: NASCAR, Blockbuster, Sprint TV, and Telenav. Unfortunately you cannot remove all the pre-loaded content but the device moves so fast you will hardly notice its presence.

Camera Quality:
The device comes with an amazing 2D/3D switch and camera shutter button on the side of the phone built with amazing craftsmanship. The 3D pictures come out accurate in low light and the flash works really well. The 2D pictures are not exactly as eye popping or stunning but they are definitely on par with other 5mp camera's quality. I took a few shots in 3D in my home office and noticed the depth and 3D quality right away.

Call Quality:
I performed a few test calls to my friend on an EVO 4G and he stated I sounded clear. I flipped the phone over and the self-activating speakerphone (HTC perk!) transferred the sound with speed and rich quality. The speakerphone isn't exactly what I would call loud, but you can hear the call clearly within 4-5 feet with little to no muffles.

Data over 3G / 4G:
I successfully signed into my all accounts, email, social networks while indoors in just under five minutes on 3G. I turned on 4G to download all my apps and connected successfully on the first try. I am lucky enough to be in a great 4G coverage area. I get about 1-2 bars of signal and an average of 2.0 Mbps down link on 4G and .38 Mbps down link on 3G, respectively.

Battery Life:
The biggest sell point on any device is use. We all need a device that can tote the power, ease of use, and multitasking ability all day long. In the 3 days I have had this device I have charged it to full battery twice. No lie. The first charge last 18 hours with heavy use: playing the Spider Man game over Wi-Fi, watching about 30 minutes of The Green Hornet, Social Networking, and browsing around the devices add ons: HTC Hub, HTC Watch, HTC Likes, Media Share, and a few others. Granted, I was on WIFI the entire 18 hours. I recently clocked over 26 hours with light to medium use such as: Texting, Voice calls, tweeting, social networking, taking a few pictures here and there, and using GPS (Sporty Pal PRO) to calculate my bike ride (2.5 miles) while streaming Pandora over 3G.

Verdict:
While this phone has the potential to blow everyone's expectations away only time will tell. Some reviews are really farfetched, some are painfully accurate, but only your personal use will dictate how you really feel about having dual core speeds and 3D capabilities on the fly. With many mobile websites jumping on the so called 3D bandwagon it's hard to ignore that Sprint has once again out done themselves with an industry first. I have no dizziness and no problems with the 3D experience whatsoever. It's just another amazing feature that the competition will call a gimmick until they possess it themselves. The device is a solid, robust, upgrade to an industry first of flagship devices. It will be hard to put down and ignore this summer as well as the rest of the year.

Disclaimer:
Your 3G/ 4G speeds may vary depending on location. Your 3D experience may vary depending on use & if you are subject to nausea from pure awesomeness.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Upon opening the simple minimalist box I noticed the 1730mah battery was already inside the device. The device is wrapped with a clear plastic with detailed instructions how to remove the back cover safely. You have to unwrap the device's battery prior to turning it on. The battery had enough juice to power it on but I decided to give it a full charge while activating it.

Set up:

Speed:

Camera Quality:

Call Quality:

Data over 3G / 4G:

Battery Life:

Verdict:

Disclaimer:

THAT my friend is one hell of an accurate review. Nice job.

EVO - LUTION 3D

Chris778811

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from a evo 4g the 3d is not a upgrade it is a different phone all together. having the evo from day one the 3d has been a big disapointment. It's not a evo 4g upgrade I really wish they could have just upgraded the evo 4g's hardware and let everything else the same. It's easy to tell why apple sells more phones then anyone else they just upgrade the hardware and keep the phone the same.

So less not call this a evo 4g upgrade just a new evo

Reactions: anon(32502)

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You can turn background data off meaning you can stop all apps from updating in the background. I was already getting great battery life now it's gonna get even better.

EVO - LUTION 3D