Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

steveholtam

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from a evo 4g the 3d is not a upgrade it is a different phone all together. having the evo from day one the 3d has been a big disapointment. It's not a evo 4g upgrade I really wish they could have just upgraded the evo 4g's hardware and let everything else the same. It's easy to tell why apple sells more phones then anyone else they just upgrade the hardware and keep the phone the same.

So less not call this a evo 4g upgrade just a new evo

Um, what does your post have to do with this thread?

To the OP, thanks for your thoughts!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from a evo 4g the 3d is not a upgrade it is a different phone all together. having the evo from day one the 3d has been a big disapointment. It's not a evo 4g upgrade I really wish they could have just upgraded the evo 4g's hardware and let everything else the same. It's easy to tell why apple sells more phones then anyone else they just upgrade the hardware and keep the phone the same.

You can call it what ever you want and I will call it a major evo update.

EVO - LUTION 3D

MrE

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Played with this today and I am not sure what to think of it as I already have the sensation. Hope this doesnt sound too biased but this is my honest impression of the phone. The 3D is very cool for sure but even after 5 minutes of use, my eyes hurt after using it and my head felt weird although I never got a headache many are complaining about. It was not activated so I couldnt try out the reception as we had it running over wifi. I know it has more RAM then the sensation but it didnt really feel faster to me. Its also thicker and heavier which I didnt care for. I also have no idea why it only shoots 720p with a 5mp camera. All of the new top end phones have at least 8MP and shoot full 1080p, I dont know what HTC was thinking here. The phone is more rounded than the Evo 4G is but I still found it too square for my liking around the edges. If I didnt already have the sensation, I would probably get this phone as its very slick and fast. Its just not good enough to get me to switch.

astoriacub

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

a higher res screen, doubling the RAM, quadrupling the ROM and most importantly, doubling the processor speed isn't an upgrade? This is the highest spec'd phone available in the US market right now. What more do you want?

Chris778811

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You can call it what ever you want and I will call it a major evo update.

EVO - LUTION 3D

It's a whole different phone a upgrade would be like a iPhone 3G to a 3GS same phone but faster even the iPhone 4 is the same just a little different shape the 3d is nothing like the 4g maybe that's why apple sells more phone then any other company lol. And i don't like apple I loved my evo 4g the the 3d is just different

Chris778811

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
a higher res screen, doubling the RAM, quadrupling the ROM and most importantly, doubling the processor speed isn't an upgrade? This is the highest spec'd phone available in the US market right now. What more do you want?

We will see if you feel that way after u get it lol

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

Can I ask what you'd consider an upgrade then? And let's ignore 3D because we don't actually have to use it (think of it as the Korean 4G+ that popped up). Is it the form factor you want?

Also, Apple changed their phones plenty of times. People did not react kindly when the metal back was removed from the original. Apple's success has more to do with an excellent marketing arm along with a very well liked industrial design.

Symphony_of_Sickness

May 26, 2011
Visit site
coming from the original samsung instinct, i'd say i love the EVO 3D. speedy and i can actually use the internet for a change. the instinct felt like i was using WebTV from a decade ago. useless as crap. the phone might be a bit heavier than what i'm used to but i'll get used to it. i also bought an otterbox case for it too last night at the local sprint store. my wife and daughter have the same phone now too. playing netflix was pretty nice. no lag and videos loaded smoothly. my first android phone so it'll take some getting used to but so far so good. too bad the release date for the new sammy within isn't known but then again that phone might not get updates in a timely manner. no regrets on the evo.

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just checked out the 3d at best buy.

The text size is noticably smaller for messages and most importantly gmail.

With my aging vision I can read the 3g comfortably but not the 3d.

Unless I get the ability to change the text size for gmail unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me - personally.

I have to give up my pre order at sprint. I am so bummed out because I like the new processor, ram and sense.

Someone please save me with a solution.

Reactions: anon(32502)

Chris778811

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask what you'd consider an upgrade then? And let's ignore 3D because we don't actually have to use it (think of it as the Korean 4G+ that popped up). Is it the form factor you want?

Also, Apple changed their phones plenty of times. People did not react kindly when the metal back was removed from the original. Apple's success has more to do with an excellent marketing arm along with a very well liked industrial design.

It's a whole different phone it don't feel like a evo 4g the screen is smaller and the text is smaller it makes the phones screen feel small compare to the 4g the evo 4g had a smooth front the 3d is not smooth it bumps up by the front camera and speaker. I guess I was thinking it would be like the evo 4g if htc has the best selling android phone why change the whole thing and call it a evo? It should be call a htc 3d take the evo part out of it

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just checked out the 3d at best buy.

The text size is noticably smaller for messages and most importantly gmail.

With my aging vision I can read the 3g comfortably but not the 3d.

Unless I get the ability to change the text size for gmail unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me - personally.

I have to give up my pre order at sprint. I am so bummed out because I like the new processor, ram and sense.

Someone please save me with a solution.

Yes you can change the size of the text in mesg and email app

EVO - LUTION 3D

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
zmann...thanks for the rapid reply and helpful info.

On my 3G, I tested changing text size on the gmail app with in app setting. Most important.

Secondarily, I have NOT yet found your solution for the stock messaging.

Jimbo

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can change the size of the text in mesg and email app

EVO - LUTION 3D

zmann...thanks for the rapid reply and helpful info.

On my 3G, I tested changing text size on the gmail app with in app setting. Most important.

Secondarily, I have NOT yet found your solution for the stock messaging.

Jimbo

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
My bad, i use handcent app much better then stock mesg. Customizable, and much more fun.

EVO - LUTION 3D

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Had my phone for 27 hours now...

So I've had my Evo 3D since around 5pm CST yesterday and it's now pushing 8pm. I've had a full day to play with it so I'll give you all my thoughts. I had the Evo 4G and said goodbye to my beloved baby today and got $150 at the Sprint store for it (I didn't feel like fighting on Ebay to sell my phone).

First off...this phone is amazing. It seems that it is an Evo 4G with the kinks worked out. That's all I wanted out of it plus a few perks. The phone is zippy, I have put on all of the apps I had on my Evo and don't have the message nagging me that the phone is running low on memory.

I took my phone off of the charger at 4:30 this morning (took my parents to the Airport) and have put it on the charger for a total of about 30 minutes since then and the phone went into the yellow battery zone about 30 minutes ago. I was used to my 3500 mAh battery, so it's hard for me to compare. But I will say that the battery life is sufficient. I think I'll be moving to the 1900mAh battery when it comes out, but I don't want to thicken the phone like I had done with my Evo. I am typically around a charger at all times so I really don't need a thick battery. This may be an issue for people who can't get to a charger as often, but it works for me.

I compared some things to my Evo before I got rid of it and it's obvious how much faster this phone is. I opened up Angry Birds Rio and was playing the game while my Evo still was loading it up. I noticed loading up video seemed to be slower, but it wasn't slow to the point of being an irritation. However, I'm in the honeymoon phase with the phone so I might be letting things slide because of that.

One of the complaints I read/saw in official reviews from multiple websites talked about how sensitive the power button is. I assure you, that is not the case at all. I saw a video where a finger was being run across the top and that engaged the power button, but that is not the case with my phone at all. So a sensitive power button is definitely not the issue for me.

Signal wise, I don't notice any more fluctuations with the signal than I did with my original Evo or the other 3 phones on my account. I was actually surprised that I drove in an area that my Evo ALWAYS dropped calls (I mean 100% of the time I drove through this particular area, the call dropped) and the Evo 3D held onto the call. I also noticed that my Evo 4G would drop calls when I would leave my house (where it was connected to the Airave). The Evo 3D is handling the calls the proper way and simply handing the call off to the Sprint towers. There isn't any 4G connectivity in my city (Milwaukee) so I can't test that.

As far as 3D pictures, they hurt my eyes when I take the picture in semi low light settings. When I took 3D pictures with my dog outside earlier today, the pictures were great and didn't make my eyes hurt. The 3D video is pretty amazing. I was watching The Green Hornet and was impressed at how the video was showing up. I hope Youtube works out a 3D button for the app, but until then, I know how to identify the 3D videos within the app (hint: it has 3D next to the title of the video. If the video doesn't appear in 3D, do a battery pull and it will work just fine).

That's enough ranting for me for a while. If you have any questions, shoot.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my Evo 3D since around 5pm CST yesterday and it's now pushing 8pm. I've had a full day to play with it so I'll give you all my thoughts. I had the Evo 4G and said goodbye to my beloved baby today and got $150 at the Sprint store for it (I didn't feel like fighting on Ebay to sell my phone).

First off...this phone is amazing. It seems that it is an Evo 4G with the kinks worked out. That's all I wanted out of it plus a few perks. The phone is zippy, I have put on all of the apps I had on my Evo and don't have the message nagging me that the phone is running low on memory.

I took my phone off of the charger at 4:30 this morning (took my parents to the Airport) and have put it on the charger for a total of about 30 minutes since then and the phone went into the yellow battery zone about 30 minutes ago. I was used to my 3500 mAh battery, so it's hard for me to compare. But I will say that the battery life is sufficient. I think I'll be moving to the 1900mAh battery when it comes out, but I don't want to thicken the phone like I had done with my Evo. I am typically around a charger at all times so I really don't need a thick battery. This may be an issue for people who can't get to a charger as often, but it works for me.

I compared some things to my Evo before I got rid of it and it's obvious how much faster this phone is. I opened up Angry Birds Rio and was playing the game while my Evo still was loading it up. I noticed loading up video seemed to be slower, but it wasn't slow to the point of being an irritation. However, I'm in the honeymoon phase with the phone so I might be letting things slide because of that.

One of the complaints I read/saw in official reviews from multiple websites talked about how sensitive the power button is. I assure you, that is not the case at all. I saw a video where a finger was being run across the top and that engaged the power button, but that is not the case with my phone at all. So a sensitive power button is definitely not the issue for me.

Signal wise, I don't notice any more fluctuations with the signal than I did with my original Evo or the other 3 phones on my account. I was actually surprised that I drove in an area that my Evo ALWAYS dropped calls (I mean 100% of the time I drove through this particular area, the call dropped) and the Evo 3D held onto the call. I also noticed that my Evo 4G would drop calls when I would leave my house (where it was connected to the Airave). The Evo 3D is handling the calls the proper way and simply handing the call off to the Sprint towers. There isn't any 4G connectivity in my city (Milwaukee) so I can't test that.

As far as 3D pictures, they hurt my eyes when I take the picture in semi low light settings. When I took 3D pictures with my dog outside earlier today, the pictures were great and didn't make my eyes hurt. The 3D video is pretty amazing. I was watching The Green Hornet and was impressed at how the video was showing up. I hope Youtube works out a 3D button for the app, but until then, I know how to identify the 3D videos within the app (hint: it has 3D next to the title of the video. If the video doesn't appear in 3D, do a battery pull and it will work just fine).

That's enough ranting for me for a while. If you have any questions, shoot.
I WENT online and did the form for buy back,, got my label to mail it. I can go into an sprint store with my receit I printed for the buy back and they will take it there?

EVO - LUTION 3D

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I WENT online and did the form for buy back,, got my label to mail it. I can go into an sprint store with my receit I printed for the buy back and they will take it there?

EVO - LUTION 3D
Yeah I had that printed out just in case they tried to give me a lower price in the store. I would have just taken the phone back and mailed it off. But yeah, the Sprint stores can do the Buy Back in store. I was concerned that the sales person was shocked that they were still offering $150 for the phone today. So that might be a hint that tomorrow it will be a different price (that's why I took it in today). But yeah, instead of having to wait a few billing cycles, I got the $150 on my account today.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I had that printed out just in case they tried to give me a lower price in the store. I would have just taken the phone back and mailed it off. But yeah, the Sprint stores can do the Buy Back in store. I was concerned that the sales person was shocked that they were still offering $150 for the phone today. So that might be a hint that tomorrow it will be a different price (that's why I took it in today). But yeah, instead of having to wait a few billing cycles, I got the $150 on my account today.

Wow,,, thanks. I am going first thing in the morning I already have my receit saying they gave me 150.very nice.

EVO - LUTION 3D