Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
It's a whole different phone it don't feel like a evo 4g the screen is smaller and the text is smaller it makes the phones screen feel small compare to the 4g the evo 4g had a smooth front the 3d is not smooth it bumps up by the front camera and speaker. I guess I was thinking it would be like the evo 4g if htc has the best selling android phone why change the whole thing and call it a evo? It should be call a htc 3d take the evo part out of it

I see your point. The EVO 3D is more accurately the successor to the EVO 4G. It's called EVO because that's HTC's "high end" line with Sprint. EVO 4G, EVO Shift, and now EVO 4G 3D. It's also partly marketing/branding. We like to say upgarded 4G likely because spec wise, it is upgraded from the 4G... everything is "better." But yeah, I see where where you're coming from.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
quick impression. This phone is fast. And i mean fast. From a battery pull to home screen is literally 30 seconds. There are a few things about htc sense 3.0 that you guys prolly havent seen yet. one thing that kicks a$$ is the ability for the phone to connect to any media servers in your network through the music app. No apps to install, no configuration no nothing. If you have media streaming already set up, your phone can find it. Thats a major plus to me. For anyone who had an htc android phone, 90% of IU is pretty much familiar territory.
The screen is beautiful, lets just leave it at that.
Is this phone ground breaking? Coming from an EVO, not really, just a ton faster. Like upgrading from the Blackberry curve to the tour, or Bold. Like upgrading your car, to a newer model. Same thing, just cooler and faster. The 3d piece, as many know its only 3d for viewing 3d content. What does it look like? Just imagine a holographic card or poster.. Just a little more in depth. You really have to learn to train your eyes for the images. But after two minutes of trying to look into the phone and straining my eyes, i learned just to look at the glass screen and hold the phone a fixed distance away. Nope, no headaches. Its cool, but thats about all. Maybe when they implement a game which takes advantage of this feature, i will like it more. 3d pics is pretty cool, but i just played with it just to look, but never made a snap yet.

tsitwone#AC

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So far I cant put this phone down, I've given up my nextel and will be porting over my blackberry number to google voice soon so I only have to carry my EVO. I am definitely a convert.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had alot more time to play with the phone today. Man is this thing fast... it truly is the best phone I have used. A word of caution for those who are getting it tomorrow. The update broke more than it fixed in my opinion.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had alot more time to play with the phone today. Man is this thing fast... it truly is the best phone I have used. A word of caution for those who are getting it tomorrow. The update broke more than it fixed in my opinion.

What did it break for you besides the dialer shortcut? The fix for the syncing issue with Watch was worth it for me, but again all I lost was a shortcut that I had changed anyway.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Over-exaggeration lol. I think that was it...I am not really using Watch so I guess that is why it broke more than it fixed.

Jay005

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Got my phone in early from Sprints FTB program & have had some time to play around with it. Maybe I'm just being nit picky but I'm not too fond of the battey cover. I mean, I like the textured back and all but what I don't like is that the volume and power buttons are attached to it. The volume button seems mushy IMO but overall, I think I can get use to this device more and more. I miss the wideness of the OG EVO's screen. The screen ratio on this phone makes it feel smaller than it is. I'm by no means bashing this phone, just pointing out some of the hardware differences that I noticed coming from an EVO 4G. The phone software is great & I'm still finding new things in this new version of sense.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm sitting in my car looking at this device in bright day light and this is just a beautifully designed device. Very very sharp looking.

EVO - LUTION 3D

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So I guess phone reviewers have become as jaded as movie reviewers.

This phone is simply amazing and I couldn't disagree more with the reviewers who complained about this phone.

I will take fellow consumers' word over any reviewers' word.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
So I guess phone reviewers have become as jaded as movie reviewers.

This phone is simply amazing and I couldn't disagree more with the reviewers who complained about this phone.

I will take fellow consumers' word over any reviewers' word.

that's a bit of a broad statement... what in specific did you disagree with reviewers on... besides 3D (I find this is far too subjective because it really does cause some people headaches and such)?

I've found most of the reviews to be very positive sans a few that seemed off (bad build quality being one).

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
that's a bit of a broad statement... what in specific did you disagree with reviewers on... besides 3D (I find this is far too subjective because it really does cause some people headaches and such)?

I've found most of the reviews to be very positive sans a few that seemed off (bad build quality being one).

Camera, battery life, reception, the amount of bars I have on WiFi, 3G and 4G, call quality. I mean I was even really dejected with all the call quality complaints but find the call quality excellent.

When this phone first started to be reviewed it was not portrayed in the best of light...so much so that many thought of cancelling their pre order and some may have...now they are missing out on an awesome top of the line phone...need I say more?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just had a zagg put on at best buy. Guy told me the sprint rep said to them this morning that a little scratch on the screen and that spot is no longer 3D capable.

EVO - LUTION 3D

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just had a zagg put on at best buy. Guy told me the sprint rep said to them this morning that a little scratch on the screen and that spot is no longer 3D capable.

EVO - LUTION 3D
Zagg dosent have a screen protector yet for the E3D ...I jus called Zagg and they dont have one yet for that phone

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

EVO - LUTION 3D

I dunno if I buy that. Sounds like shady upselling at its best! lol
a small scratch on the outside of the screen i cannot see causing enough of an issue with light refraction that would deem the 3d totally unusable.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I dunno if I buy that. Sounds like shady upselling at its best! lol
a small scratch on the outside of the screen i cannot see causing enough of an issue with light refraction that would deem the 3d totally unusable.

Well, I was having a convo with this guy, talk to him many times before, 1, my bs radar is second to none, 2, this guy told me with my other evo that he would not put one on so he had no agenda here, 3,i know because of how the whole convo went that he was not lying. I believe the Sprint guy said this to them, that being said, who knows if sprint guy was lying, i doubt it. I put one on, screen looks beautiful, no affect on the 3d what so ever. Did not say 3D would totally be unusable like you translated it into,,,, he said that spot would be affected.

EVO - LUTION 3D

leftee

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Liking it a lot so far

Having a Premium account was a benefit I was finally able to take advantage of. I stood in line camped out for the OG EVO and paid full boat as I was nowhere near the 12 months. Anyway, I ordered it online, UPS dropped it off on Wednesday (Kentucky to Hawaii) and I was pretty stoked to see the performance.

I ordered cables for HDMI output, 32GB card, and am constantly looking to see when the dock will be available at BB.

Iʻm sure theyʻll be a lot of other stuff to look at and play around with, I did find it totally hilarious to bring the phone into work and have all the iPhone peeps drop jaw when they saw the 3d video. Gimmicky? Maybe a little but I was very surprised at how awesome the video looked.

The three biggest observations making it different from the old EVO are that the flicking on the homescreeens (in Sense) cycle such that you donʻt stop on either side, bigger battery is nice to go all day, and due to a slightly skinnier width (or taller height) of the display adjustments will likely be made to applications as font sizes are a little smaller and "fill" on apps like Slacker look a little odd due to the difference in dimensions.

Pretty display and itʻs new. Haha I bet this one gets replaced much faster than the last EVO.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was having a convo with this guy, talk to him many times before, 1, my bs radar is second to none, 2, this guy told me with my other evo that he would not put one on so he had no agenda here, 3,i know because of how the whole convo went that he was not lying. I believe the Sprint guy said this to them, that being said, who knows if sprint guy was lying, i doubt it. I put one on, screen looks beautiful, no affect on the 3d what so ever. Did not say 3D would totally be unusable like you translated it into,,,, he said that spot would be affected.

EVO - LUTION 3D

zmann you shouldn't have to put a screen protector on it. It is made of gorilla glass, should be scratch proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis