Don't like the bloat-apps? Just delete them.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
Why's that? I hope it doesn't have to do with it being a southern thing and the stigmata that comes with all things southern. That would directly insult my wife and my in-laws, all from Georgia. I'm sure you weren't trying to do that now were you?

Way to take things way too personal.. It might stem from Nascar, more generally stockcar racing, being the lamest kind of motorsport on earth. Driving around in circles, making left-handed turns for four hours isn't' very exciting until someone crashes, but if you want to see that, you'd be better of at an open-wheel race.

heathroi

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't like the bloat-apps? Just delete them.

Was hoping this was a HTC thing instead of Sprint (and being new to android and getting HTC Inspire which I figured was the GSM equivalent of an Evo cousin) because over here in A Twit & Twat land they love some bloat. (AT&T Family map I"m looking at you) and they don't want you part with it. At all.

monster trucks and pro wrestling is excellent people watching though.

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If the applications are in ROM, you'll generally get a message saying that you can't remove them if you try. Since you didn't get that message, it may be that those apps are loaded into RAM during the initializing process. If so, I actually appreciate that. It means you can delete them without having to ROOT.
Someone who hasn't done this yet should check to see if memory actually increases when the app is deleted though. I know on Windows phones, the built in application "files" were actually just pointers into the ROM. Deleting them netted nothing.

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Why's that? I hope it doesn't have to do with it being a southern thing and the stigmata that comes with all things southern. That would directly insult my wife and my in-laws, all from Georgia. I'm sure you weren't trying to do that now were you?

I'm sorry but you used the word stigma incorrectly. :) it's just not a sport I appreciate.

wcmarchese#AC

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
lens

Hey guys. Just trying to see if something is normal on my EVO 3D.

Try running your finger against the glass on the back, is one side down into the phone a tiny bit more than the other side?

WCM

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
From my understanding, some carriers/manufacturers put unremovable (at least without rooting) software onto Android Devices. It takes up space unnecessarily as you probably would not use those apps.

Yeah, and that "Some carrier" includes Sprint. The Evo 4G has quite a few such stupid apps. And it is less about space and more about annoyance.

1) They take up space
2) They exist on the apps listing and clutter things
3) They wake up and do things in the background without permission (Sprint Zone is a good example)
4) The carrier rigs the cache so it continually reloads the app in memory if there is space when that space COULD be used to cache an app I actually use
5) They can't be removed without rooting

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
How much space did it free up in your internal memory (if any)?

They would never take up any memory unless the app is running. Plus all memory, by definition, is "internal".

I think you mean "storage"...

And whether that would be recovered depends on how they installed it.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
They would never take up any memory unless the app is running. Plus all memory, by definition, is "internal".

I think you mean "storage"...

And whether that would be recovered depends on how they installed it.

Haha! Thanks. Yes, I did mean "internal storage" (i.e. the internal flash memory storage, not the microSD flash memory nor the RAM). I am aware of the difference. It was just a slip-up in terminology. Thanks a lot Toshiba for calling it "flash MEMORY" and confusing the hell out of everyone! LOL.

From the little bit of feedback I've seen so far from some folks, it looks like the "apps" are mostly icon stub pointers (similar to "shortcuts" in Windows parlance) pointing to the "protected" storage (ROM area) where the bulk of the apps are stored. Any space gained will probably be from temporary files or cache. Since I don't have the device yet, I can't confirm one way or another, but it looks like only a few megabytes are being freed up by deleting the bloatware.

This, of course, assumes that nothing else was installed to take up the space. I'm sure folks have already started re-downloading their apps from the Market, so they don't really know how much space was recovered because they don't know what they started out with, or how much space their other apps are taking up. It would be a guess, unless someone deletes the apps before doing anything else with the phone.

It's not that big a deal. After all, it's a lot more space than the EVO 4G gave us out of the box, so I guess I can live with it. I just like to know what I'm getting for my money. :p

franky_402

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
so where the heck is 3gb's going, is the internal memory size an oopsie as well?? This is a little disappointing other phones out there are getting 16gb of memory and the 3d was supposed to be 4 with only 1 usable. Even the evo 4g has 440mb usable. Ill check this out tomorrow afternoon when mine finally comes in. I suppose either way there will be custom roms to fully removing the bloat and bring my storage space back lol!!

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How many apps could be fit on that remaining sliver of storage before being offloaded to the SD card? Would that end up happening relatively soon?

jgmitch

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed Uninstall of Bloatware

I just went into the Applications management in Settings and removed Blockbuster and something else I can't remember. Sweet!

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Just trying to see if something is normal on assuming you mean around my EVO 3D.

Try running your finger against the glass on the back, is one side down into the phone a tiny bit more than the other side?

WCM

Assuming you mean around the lenses then no. I had that on my phone and pressed down on the part of the bezel that was raised and it snapped into place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781