The Official Battery Life Thread

jasonb1108

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
EVO 3D Battery Life

I love my Evo but if the battery life on the EVO 3D is just as bad I will be disappointed. Wish their was a Android Phone with decent battery life. My Evo is on a diet no fat extended batteries for me.

Reactions: deandino2359

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So far, all the phones i've seen with these monster screens have had fair (at best) battery life... I would imagine it would be better being next gen hardware and software, but expect it to still be pretty low. The atrix is advertised 9 hours talk time, that would be the very upper limit.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So far, all the phones i've seen with these monster screens have had fair (at best) battery life... I would imagine it would be better being next gen hardware and software, but expect it to still be pretty low. The atrix is advertised 9 hours talk time, that would be the very upper limit.

Yeah 9 hours without doing anything else but sitting there with the screen off on a call. :p

This comes up all the time. If you want the phone, but you think battery life will be an issue, then keep a charger with you or carry extra batteries.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There should be quite a bit better battery life in the 3D compared to the 4G:

The EVO3D battery is 15% larger than the battery for the 4G. When you've run out of battery in your 4G, pretend you had 15% more..

Die size. The 4G's processor was 65nm while the 3D's is 45. Less size=less power to run.

Faster, more efficient CPU. More efficient/fast cpu = instructions finish quicker = quicker to enter sleep state. Sleep state is where you get all your CPU power savings. If its max power usage is lower and it finishes processing tasks quicker, it's definitely a win.

SLCD Screen. SLCD is more power-efficient than LCD, so there should be a little bit of power savings there.

I'm not too worried about it.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Processor size does not always mean less power consumption. In fact the newer processors under peak load use more power than the old ones, despite the size.

Speed is a direct relation of power use, because a processor or core can run faster, its because it more wattage can be pushed through it. (think overclocking)

as for the screen i hope your right.

That being said, i remember i would be happy with 6-8 hours on my stock evo, so this will give 8-10? I'll take it where i can not that much of an improvement if you ask me...

I'm dorkin' around with my buddies Atrix later this week, i'll bring back some battery usage stats via Juice Plotter

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Processor size does not always mean less power consumption. In fact the newer processors under peak load use more power than the old ones, despite the size.

The thing here is, you will be running at peak much less often with the dual core processor, so the majority of time, you should see less power consumption.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Overclocking simply means you're running the processor faster than its yield says it should be at as it ran stock voltages. Today's CPUs are so much faster than older CPUs and use so much less power it's not even close.

As far as time goes, I use my phone until I leave work, and it's at usually 30-50%. The drive home usually does a good job of charging it up another 30% so i'm fine by the end of the day. Pretty much the same experience as my iPhone.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully there will be a rom for the EVO 3d like the Fresh Rom for the EVO 4g.

I easily get 12-15 hours of moderate use using Fresh roms vs Stock or even Cyanogen

kotoku

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
How are your battery life numbers out there?

The Evo 3D is running laps around my old hero. The same amount of web browsing / game playing / tune listening on the hero would have killed the battery in at least 1/2 the time of the Evo 3D (if not quicker). I know this is a brand new battery, but I expected worst results after all I heard from the original EVO.

Anyone upgrading from an older Android phone and pleasantly surprised?

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
How are your battery life numbers out there?

The Evo 3D is running laps around my old hero. The same amount of web browsing / game playing / tune listening on the hero would have killed the battery in at least 1/2 the time of the Evo 3D (if not quicker). I know this is a brand new battery, but I expected worst results after all I heard from the original EVO.

Anyone upgrading from an older Android phone and pleasantly surprised?

I'll get mine tomorrow, but anything is better than my Pre :p

chubbs123

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been really hoping that the battery life is better then the stock battery in the evo 4G. That was my only complaint about the phone originally. Then I bought an Extended battery. Problem solved.

resur

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Since unplug from a full charge overnight, I am at 95% after 3 hours with moderate usage (can't keep my hands off it!).

So, so far so good!

Resur

kcodya

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Kind of too early for me to tell right now. I will say though, with the amount of web browsing and other stuff I did last night, my original EVO would have used MUCH more battery than the 3D did.

Jace985

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Good to know coming from the iPhone 4 that honestly had one thing going for it and that was the battery I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting good battery life

destroyosaur

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It took me around 5-6 hours of non stop use to drain the battery. That was with brightness on auto, wifi, bluetooth and gps on. Much better than my pre.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm power using right now, and the battery is lasting 5-6 hours....it's amazing. My 4G would have died in 3-4 with this much use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar