Learning Curve?

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm new to Android. I currently have a Palm Pre and will be getting the 3D tomorrow. I've read on here that you literally need a Bachelors degree to get things set up. Lol, with the unfamiliarity I will have with Android, what should I realistically expect? Am I going to stare at this thing for hours not knowing what to do? I consider myself pretty technologically savvy but, how much work is it going to be to set it up the way I like it? And what exactly is there to set up that takes so much time? Thanks.

mulletmusketeer

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Its really not that bad, nothing someone technically savvy shouldn't be able to figure out. If you already have a Google account, you are like 75% of the way there

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm new to Android. I currently have a Palm Pre and will be getting the 3D tomorrow. I've read on here that you literally need a Bachelors degree to get things set up. Lol, with the unfamiliarity I will have with Android, what should I realistically expect? Am I going to stare at this thing for hours not knowing what to do? I consider myself pretty technologically savvy but, how much work is it going to be to set it up the way I like it? And what exactly is there to set up that takes so much time? Thanks.

You'll be fine. The biggest thing for me to get over was the whole swiping apps off the screen to close. That was an adjustment. Simply put, there is no better multi tasking mobile OS out there over WebOS. But I can tell you FOR SURE, you will get used to it and you will wonder why it took you so long to switch over.

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Its really not that bad, nothing someone technically savvy shouldn't be able to figure out. If you already have a Google account, you are like 75% of the way there

I have a google account but the only thing I do with it is gchat. And I also moved all my contacts there so I would be able to get them onto the Evo3D. So, am I still 75% of the way there, lol? And is there a way to move all my pictures from my Pre to my computer (I know how to do that) and then move them onto the phone so I can still have them and use them as photo ids for people in my contacts?

Crackb3rry420

May 29, 2011
Visit site
htc sense is very user friendly,after 24 hours & coming from 6 sidekicks,and one blackberry i feel like ive been with htc,androids for years

mulletmusketeer

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a google account but the only thing I do with it is gchat. And I also moved all my contacts there so I would be able to get them onto the Evo3D. So, am I still 75% of the way there, lol? And is there a way to move all my pictures from my Pre to my computer (I know how to do that) and then move them onto the phone so I can still have them and use them as photo ids for people in my contacts?

If your pictures are already on your computer, you'll be able to put them on the phone by plugging it in to the computer with the USB cord. You could also use a MicroSD reader and transfer the pictures directly to the MicroSD card that you can remove from the 3D. For the Google account, you could get your gmail account set up to receive all your mail, that way it will pretty seamlessly integrate into Android

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If your pictures are already on your computer, you'll be able to put them on the phone by plugging it in to the computer with the USB cord. You could also use a MicroSD reader and transfer the pictures directly to the MicroSD card that you can remove from the 3D. For the Google account, you could get your gmail account set up to receive all your mail, that way it will pretty seamlessly integrate into Android

Would it be better to put the pictures directly onto the phone hard drive rather than the memory card? I can't imagine these pictures taking up much space and this way they are local to the phone.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The SD card is (for all intents & purposes) the phone "hard drive" (meaning the user-accessible storage for the phone).

Would it be better to put the pictures directly onto the phone hard drive rather than the memory card? I can't imagine these pictures taking up much space and this way they are local to the phone.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Definitely put them on the card. When you take new pics it automatically save them there anyhow. Also you want as much space available on the phone memory for Apps that can't be moved to sd

sent from my OG EVO

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Create a folder on the SD card called Pictures(I created it on the root of the SD card). Then connect the Pre as a USB disk drive. Copy the pictures on the Pre usually located under DCIM to the pictures folder you created on the SD card.

If you do not have a way to connect the SD card directly then attach your shiny EVO 3D to the computer and choose disk drive. You should then be able navigate the SD card.

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Create a folder on the SD card called Pictures(I created it on the root of the SD card). Then connect the Pre as a USB disk drive. Copy the pictures on the Pre usually located under DCIM to the pictures folder you created on the SD card.

If you do not have a way to connect the SD card directly then attach your shiny EVO 3D to the computer and choose disk drive. You should then be able navigate the SD card.

I have a way to hook up my micro sd card to the computer. So I'll just move the pictures from the computer (already on the computer moved from the pre) onto the card and then put the card back in the evo 3d.

Is it difficult to take the mirco sd card in and out of the evo3d?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I could be wrong on this, but I don't recall a way to manually write to the internal phone memory. I think your only option is to save them to the SD card. I do know that once you associate a pic to a Google/Gmail contact, the photo does sync along with all the other contact info. When I load up new ROMs on the EVO 4G and sync my Google account, the contacts that had pics associated to them still have those pics in tact, even when the pic is no longer on the SD card.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a way to hook up my micro sd card to the computer. So I'll just move the pictures from the computer (already on the computer moved from the pre) onto the card and then put the card back in the evo 3d.

Is it difficult to take the mirco sd card in and out of the evo3d?

No, it is actually quite simple. The battery has to be removed and the card will simply slide out. The card is hard to miss when the battery is out.

Remember, there are some things pre-loaded on the 8 GB card and to copy those contents as well. LOL, I didn't do this and now can't load the free movie.

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No, it is actually quite simple. The battery has to be removed and the card will simply slide out. The card is hard to miss when the battery is out.

Remember, there are some things pre-loaded on the 8 GB card and to copy those contents as well. LOL, I didn't do this and now can't load the free movie.

I don't follow what you are saying about things being pre loaded on the card? Ok, so there are things pre loaded on the card. How does that affect what I'm going to be putting on the card, pics?

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't have any sample 3d photos. Also because I removed the original SD card without looking I now don't have access to the free movie. I have to copy it over tomorrow.

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't have any sample 3d photos. Also because I removed the original SD card without looking I now don't have access to the free movie. I have to copy it over tomorrow.

So, if you remove the card from the phone and make any changes to it like adding your own data, regardless of what that might be, you cannot watch the 3d movie pre loaded on the card? Even if you don't do anything to it? That doesn't make any sense.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably misunderstanding your original question, but if you are looking to transfer the photos on your Pre to your 3D, virtually anywhere you go to buy a device can transfer these for you. I switched from a Pre to an EVO last June and ALL of my pictures were ported over along with my contacts, etc...you just need to ask them to do it. Didn't have to copy them to my PC, swap SD cards, etc. It took about 15 minutes, which I spent browsing accessories. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63