Is it really worth it to switch from my Palm Pre?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am on the verge of picking up this new EVO 3D but I'm definitely on the fence. I LOVE WebOS but I'm getting tired of the constant lag and MANY glitches. I own a launch day Palm PRE and I'm sure/hoping some of these issues will get worked out with the impeding arrival of the PRE 3 but of course, there's no release date. The Touchpad looks promising especially with the Touch-to-Share integration feature with the PRE 3. The specs of the EVO 3D simply looks amazing. I'm SO torn!

Please provide some "real" reasons to switch or not. Don't just say things like the EVO or PRE rocks!

This is a serious plea for help. Thanks!

Reactions: crholt

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am on the verge of picking up this new EVO 3D but I'm definitely on the fence. I LOVE WebOS but I'm getting tired of the constant lag and MANY glitches. I own a launch day Palm PRE and I'm sure/hoping some of these issues will get worked out with the impeding arrival of the PRE 3 but of course, there's no release date. The Touchpad looks promising especially with the Touch-to-Share integration feature with the PRE 3. The specs of the EVO 3D simply looks amazing. I'm SO torn!

Please provide some "real" reasons to switch or not. Don't just say things like the EVO or PRE rocks!

have you used android with sense? because that right there is the main reason i think anyone would want to.

anoiel1220

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
i came from the pre and thought i would hate android, since i loved webos, but its not that hard to figure android out. my launch day pre was falling apart so i dont miss it at all. give it a try if you dont like it you have 30 days to return. And also i do like sence it way better than what ever is on my brothers epic 4g, i really dont like his phone, so try im sure youll like it.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
have you used android with sense? because that right there is the main reason i think anyone would want to.

I played with the original EVO in the Sprint store and it looked pretty cool yet GINORMOUS. I don't know how it would feel to walk around with a mini netbook on my belt. The PRE really does fit in your palm and I like the form factor. I'm just getting tired of the issues plus Palm gets totally neglected in the app department.

What makes Sense so hot?

osupeterson#AC

May 20, 2011
Visit site
But honestly, I switched from my pre to the original EVO and it was amazing. The speed is pretty noticeable on everyday task (email, opening programs). The market it exponentially better. I turned my pre on a few months back and was still amazed at how lacking the webOS market was.

The other great thing I would have to say is the camera will be awesome, especially with a better back light and the screen will seem enormous to you. Even without the gimmicky 3d, your jaw will drop when you first boot up the EVO.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried to delete this post when I saw the question but realized that it wasn't a spam email and that someone was actually asking a real question. This is like asking if you should upgrade from two cups and a string to a smartphone. No offense to the original poster but the answer is obviously yes.

"Two cups and a string" - OUCH! What are some of the advantages of this phone over the PRE?

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I loved WebOS, and still do. With dev support, I'd be waiting for a Pre3. But they still only have under 10,000 apps (most of them useless) and it's been years. Even Windows Phone 7 (which sucks) has more apps already.

It will hurt a bit, but go get an EVO 3D.

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
You will defineatly miss the webos interface, it is second to none and love mine. But using the HTC Inspire I soon found you will love everything else better. The apps, widgets, speed, screen size, etc will win you over. You have to give it a few weeks tho.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You answered your own questions OP, you are fed up with glitches and are hoping for a solution from a company that doesn't seem to have any answers for you. Why wouldn't you switch? Are cards that important to you? What are you REALLY hanging onto? Seriously?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You answered your own questions OP, you are fed up with glitches and are hoping for a solution from a company that doesn't seem to have any answers for you. Why wouldn't you switch? Are cards that important to you? What are you REALLY hanging onto? Seriously?

You are right. I guess the better question is should I switch to the Evo 3D now or continue to wait for the PRE 3 since I do love everything about WebOS (minus the glitches & lag)?

Does the 3D have any lag?

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried to delete this post when I saw the question but realized that it wasn't a spam email and that someone was actually asking a real question. This is like asking if you should upgrade from two cups and a string to a smartphone. No offense to the original poster but the answer is obviously yes.

You win the internet with that comment sir, if I were not on a mobile device right now I would both like AND thank this post LOL

Reactions: osupeterson#AC

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You are right. I guess the better question is should I switch to the Evo 3D now or continue to wait for the PRE 3 since I do love everything about WebOS (minus the glitches & lag)?

The Pre 3 is the same phone(but bigger)with a faster processor and a FF camera. I suspect the bugs will still be there, the same lack of APIs will drive away developers and the app support will essentially be the same. webOS doesn't even have a barcode scanner(API) or Shazam(API). If you want to say loyal, stay with webOS, If you are a power user you would be foolish not to AT LEAST try android. Hope that helps.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky enough to get an Evo 3D yesterday and let me tell you I have not even looked at my day 1 Pre. I honestly am not missing the cards as much as I thought I would. Widgets are really neat ans Sense 3.0 is FULLY cutomizable...you can literally setup each screen exactly how you want and there are 7 screens per scene. A scene is basically just a set of screens cusomized in a certain way...they are preloaded but you can customize it however you want.

The Evo 3D is the fastest phone I have seen...it is so responsive and does exactly what I ask it to without complaining...or slowing down.

Don't listen to this gimmick crap the 3D is neat but even if you never use it this is the best phone available on Sprint and I would agrue it being one of the if not the best available phones on the market. If anything touch to share is more a gimmick than the 3D...I carry a phone for convenience and to me carrying a tablet sized device is not convenient at all. When at a movie I can search the web just fine no need to have a tablet around to make the experience more enjoyable.

You are concerned about the Evo 3D size...don't be...my wife has an original Evo and it is beastly...the Evo 3D is a more stremlined "fit" version of the original Evo. It is not as wide and a little taller making it easier to hold in one hand and use.

When I first started researching Android and Sense I was concerned about the multitasking...it may not be as great as WebOs but it is not that far behind either. There really is no question whether or not you should upgrade...the Pre is almost 3 years old and has had little to none support for it. The Evo 3D on the day it was released had an update available(albeit one that really screwed more than it fixed).

Also, 200,000 APPS I am going to post it again for dramatic effect 200,000. I can't tell you how nice it is to browse the Android app store brother...that alone is reason to get away from HP and the Pre lineup and pitiful 10,000 apss with maybe a handful of useful apps.

Any more questions?

Last edited:

HootieMacMN

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm making the same jump myself, and will admit to being a bit apprehensive about the switch. That said, I honestly have no doubt that it will be worth it.

The hardware is going to be so far beyond the Pre- that it's not even funny. To be honest, the hardware is going to be quite a bit better than the Pre 3, whenever that's finally released, if specs that have been floating around are accurate. Plus there's no confirmation yet that the Pre 3 will be available on Sprint, so if you're set on sticking with Sprint, as I am, then it won't even be a question.

I've played with my wife's Evo and some co-workers' Android phones, and am reasonably confident that I will be able to adjust to the new OS without TOO many problems. (Outside of a solid 2 weeks of trying to close apps by swiping them upwards.)

As others have mentioned, Sprint gives you 30 days to try out a phone and decide if you like it or not. 30 days should be plenty, me thinks. I say give the Evo 3D/Android a shot, and if you REALLY just don't like it, switch back to your Pre and save your upgrade for something you like better down the road. Good luck making your choice!

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was an original pre owner waited in front of my store from 3 am and loved the pre until the Evo came out and I never looked back. Evo was the best phone I ever used and I hope the 3d will be just as good

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Pre 3 is the same phone(but bigger)with a faster processor and a FF camera. I suspect the bugs will still be there, the same lack of APIs will drive away developers and the app support will essentially be the same. webOS doesn't even have a barcode scanner(API) or Shazam(API). If you want to say loyal, stay with webOS, If you are a power user you would be foolish not to AT LEAST try android. Hope that helps.

Are you on Android yet? Your profile still shows the Pre as your device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon