View Poll Results: How is your signal strength and call quality?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worse than my old phone on Sprint.

77 32.49%
  • Same as my old phone on Sprint.

90 37.97%
  • Better than my old phone from Sprint.

58 24.47%
  • It's so bad that I am thinking of returning it.

12 5.06%
09-19-2011 01:14 PM
85 1234
tools
    No complaints at all on call quality for the last 12 days with my E3D.
    07-06-2011 06:51 PM
    Didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen any benefits to having CDMA 800? I know Sprint is just beginning their vision (or whatever it's called) rollout. Just curious if anyone has seen improvements when it comes to building penetration. Signal strength is pretty important to me and I'm trying to get as much info on the EVO3D and Photon as I can before I switch from my Pre.
    07-15-2011 10:43 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's not up and running yet. Sprint is going to repurpose Nextel's spectrum since it's finally turning off the iDEN network. There's no benefit to the EVO 3D yet, but there should be one once the changeover happens.
    07-15-2011 11:27 AM
    It seems my phone is getting worse. I can now definitely say that I am dropping more calls and spend more time roaming than I ever did on the Evo 4g. It really is crazy, I can be at the same location and the signal will go from 4 bars to roaming, just like that. I was at Radio Shack a while ago, and both employees had other sprint phones with steady 3 to 4 bars with no issues while mine was roaming.

I got my friends airave and just now installed it. On the first call with it (you can tell when you are using it because of a double short beep before it starts ringing), with me in the same room as the airave, the other person started to break up to the point that I had to repeat a few questions. While sitting in the same room I did some speed tests and they are pretty horrible. And again, even with the airave right here in my room the signal goes from 5 bars to one bar.

I am really starting to think the phone has a problem.
    07-15-2011 01:49 PM
    No issue with Signal strength / data here Its much better then my EVO4G.
    I stay 4-5 bar with 3G speed 950 down / 675 up
    EVO 4G would flux 1-5 bars all the time with pathetic data speed - 250 down / 185 up...sometimes 80 up
    07-15-2011 02:41 PM
    Signal strength is lower but call quality is better than my Palm Pre.
    07-15-2011 04:57 PM
    It seems my phone is getting worse. I can now definitely say that I am dropping more calls and spend more time roaming than I ever did on the Evo 4g. It really is crazy, I can be at the same location and the signal will go from 4 bars to roaming, just like that. I was at Radio Shack a while ago, and both employees had other sprint phones with steady 3 to 4 bars with no issues while mine was roaming.

I got my friends airave and just now installed it. On the first call with it (you can tell when you are using it because of a double short beep before it starts ringing), with me in the same room as the airave, the other person started to break up to the point that I had to repeat a few questions. While sitting in the same room I did some speed tests and they are pretty horrible. And again, even with the airave right here in my room the signal goes from 5 bars to one bar.

I am really starting to think the phone has a problem.
    Thats somewhat of a known issue now with the 3D. I would definately get a replacement device.
    07-15-2011 06:15 PM
    Didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen any benefits to having CDMA 800? I know Sprint is just beginning their vision (or whatever it's called) rollout. Just curious if anyone has seen improvements when it comes to building penetration. Signal strength is pretty important to me and I'm trying to get as much info on the EVO3D and Photon as I can before I switch from my Pre.
    Good question. Heres how the break down is, somewhat simplified by the way.
    the 800mhz spectrum does offer pretty good building penetration at somewhat higher power.
    As you get to higher frequencies, the wavelength gets smaller and travels less farther on the same amount of power.
    Great example, 1 watt of VHF 155.xxx, 1 watt off UHF 450.xxxx 1 watt of 800mhz, 1 watt of 1.8ghz, and 1 watt of 2.7ghz will all travel at completely different distances. The lower the frequency the greater it can travel.
    However throw in building penetration. The higher the frequency the better building penetration. . UHF and 800 penetrate well but VHF not so well. Keep all of this in mind as well as the fact that as you get higher in frequency you are required to use less power. This is why cell phones use such little power, they are on a higher frequency, as well as constantly in use close to our bodies.
    Heres a great example of FCC power limitations.
    On VHF max RF output on a handheld device is 5 watts, UHF is 4 watts, 800mhz is 3 watts, 900mhz is 2.5 watts. .So you see a downward trend.
    This is why our WiMax is having problems with building penetration, its a really high frequency and also at a lower power.

Well now that it is clear as mud were all good.
    If and when they open the 800 band for LTE it will still be pretty low power but at least we should get decent building penetration and not have to fight other sources of RF interference.

Yup another crappy explination from yours truly.. Thank me later.
    07-15-2011 06:21 PM
    Thats somewhat of a known issue now with the 3D. I would definately get a replacement device.
    I contacted HTC when I first got my phone - they don't seem to know about it although Sprint does. Has anyone else tried calling or emailing HTC?
    08-09-2011 01:56 PM
    After a lot of replies, about 65% say the EVO 3D is the same or better signal strength.

Way to go HTC!
    08-09-2011 03:54 PM
    Same as my Curve... better in some spots, and then some new dead zones using this phone. Typical of using a cell phone.
    08-09-2011 04:06 PM
    Mine is as good if not slightly better (1 bar more) than my EVO 4G
    + 1. Mine gets great reception.
    08-09-2011 06:35 PM
    I'm getting poor reception for my Evo 3D compared to the evo 4G I had. I've tried everything to fix it and nothing works, not to mention neither sprint or htc acknowledging the problem. On top of that I'm out of my 30 day return so there really isn't anything I can do.

EDIT: I forgot to add that as I typed this post at work, I had the 4G radio on the whole time. Except I didn't get any 4G, it just stayed on 3G. With my Evo 4G, I could get a 4G signal easily. What a shame really, as the rest of this phone is amazing.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    08-10-2011 10:03 AM
    Ok so when you all look at the Android Battery app...do you ever see green in the signal strength area? Its like the first reading...mine is always yellow, even when my bars are above 3...but I still think its constantly shifting between no bars and 3-4bars. I used to have a EVO4G and had no issues with signal in the same apartment. I know its part of my battery issues, hope they fix in an update.
    08-11-2011 02:20 AM
    the only place i have an issue with signal is in my house, and just in the bedroom at that. My OG Evo sat at 2-3 bars consistently, and my 3D is between 0-2 bars, i cant even refresh the FB app without it taking 30 seconds on 3G, funny thing is i get a steady low level strength on 4G, about 1.7Mbps down. Everywhere else i get great reception and call quality
    08-11-2011 08:27 AM
    Its about the same as my Evo.
    08-11-2011 08:32 AM
    I'm running a Photon right now but I love the 3D as well. Signal strength for both data and voice are a big deal to me. I need to make the switch today if I'm going to exchange for 3D. I am pulling a signal of anywhere between -79 and -87 dBm at all times on my photon. What is everyone getting on the 3D? I live in Utah in southern Utah County, and I work in Salt Lake City. I am hoping for feedback from others living in these areas.
    08-12-2011 11:21 AM
    It's all in ur heads. U read something negative, and you start over analyze
    Your phone and say "Ohhh my phone is doing the same thing"

Bottom line... HTC is better than MOTO.
    08-12-2011 11:50 AM
    Let me start by saying to HTC. Good look on this one for sure. You already had me at the EVO 4G. But the love comes back all over again with the 3D... Yes I love this hand held PC. That being said... The signal stength is something that needs to be fixed. The EVO 4G got way better signal strength for me . With the 3VO I stay in roaming and download speed?... lets not even go there. If this and the problem of the screen freez ups are fixed, this will live up to what it can be .. The best damn device on the market...One.
    08-12-2011 11:56 AM
    My signal strength seems to be about the same or better than my LG Optimus S. At home I use an airave though but when I turn it off or go places I know have a bad signal it seems to still hang onto enough to still make calls.

Typically if my signal's bad I'll be able to hear them clear but they report that sometimes I break up...
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    08-12-2011 02:25 PM
    It's all in ur heads. U read something negative, and you start over analyze
    Your phone and say "Ohhh my phone is doing the same thing"

Bottom line... HTC is better than MOTO.
    Amazing - people who try to call me must have read the same thing because when they call - my phone drops the call or maybe they are just imagining that my phone has dropped the call because they read about the issue.

Bottom line a phone I can use as a PHONE is the better phone.
    08-13-2011 01:04 AM
    I am finding call quality and signal strength to be superb, especially coming from my Palm Pre. The noise cancelling mic really does wonders. also, I cant wait for sprint network vision to launch, as the evo 3d is the first sprint phone with a 3 band radio so you can have signal using the iDen network(nextel), CDMA(sprint/3G) and WiMAX network. New towers will even have all 3 radios on them for even better reception.
    dailywireless.org Sprint’s Vision: iDen, CDMA & WiMAX, All Together Now
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    08-15-2011 10:38 AM
    I am finding call quality and signal strength to be superb, especially coming from my Palm Pre. The noise cancelling mic really does wonders. also, I cant wait for sprint network vision to launch, as the evo 3d is the first sprint phone with a 3 band radio so you can have signal using the iDen network(nextel), CDMA(sprint/3G) and WiMAX network. New towers will even have all 3 radios on them for even better reception.
    dailywireless.org Sprints Vision: iDen, CDMA & WiMAX, All Together Now
    I was talking to someone in retentions last week on an unrelated matter. I asked about flaky Sprint reception since about April/Mayish. They said "that will all be taken care of by the end of the year". So hopefully this all pans out sooner than later. YMMV
    08-15-2011 11:07 AM
    According to an internal meeting I was in with Sprint Network Engineers, once the new towers start rolling out, Sprint just has to flip a switch, and then all 3VO's will work on all 3 spectrums. And that includes the already existing towers too.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    08-15-2011 11:30 AM
    I'm not sure about the rest of you but I am coming from an evo 4g and my reception was pretty good. This phone constantly says that I'm roaming. I get that warning about 3-5 times a day. I do travel around the country a lot but I never used to roam this much with my evo 4g. I hope the tower updates fix this issue.
    08-15-2011 11:34 AM
85 1234