Signal strength and call quality

How is your signal strength and call quality?

• Total voters

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: How are the radios & call reception vs Evo4G?

Thanks everyone. I'm heading to Sams Club today to look at the phone. I am not going to trade in my 4G, will hold onto it during my 30 day trial period (or until I'm happily wedded to the 3D phone) then probably sell it on CL (since it's happily rooted) with the extras I have for it.

meriwether#AC

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks everyone. I'm heading to Sams Club today to look at the phone. I am not going to trade in my 4G, will hold onto it during my 30 day trial period (or until I'm happily wedded to the 3D phone) then probably sell it on CL (since it's happily rooted) with the extras I have for it.
My 3D definitely has worse 3G reception than my 4G, but I like the phone overall a lot better. It was like this with the 4G when it first came out, and the reception got better with new updates. This one will, too. I still get reception everywhere, it just has a bar less. It is so much faster, though, and I really like Sense 3.0 and the 3D photos.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am getting about the same as my epic and 4G. But today I am having a problem with no data.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

buckless

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

same call quality,close to same radios but upload/dld speeds-3g worse=wifi better.main complaint is small fonts-hard to see

congoman

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
[Problem] HTC EVO 3D reception/calling problems!!

Anyone have been told, by the person on the other end of the phone, that your voice is low and crackling. Have you had more drop dropped calls than previous phone(I came from evo4g)?

So I have had people telling me they can't hear me, my voice is crackling, and I have had 2 dropped calls since I got the phone (late last week).

Anyone have had similar problems???

:-\

willyp87

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Problem] HTC EVO 3D reception/calling problems!!

Anyone have been told, by the person on the other end of the phone, that your voice is low and crackling. Have you had more drop dropped calls than previous phone(I came from evo4g)?

So I have had people telling me they can't hear me, my voice is crackling, and I have had 2 dropped calls since I got the phone (late last week).

Anyone have had similar problems???

:-\
I haven't had any of the call quality issues that you are referencing but I have noticed that I haven't been getting as strong of a signal that I had been used to with the 4G. I don't know if you also have noticed this but I am guessing the two would be likely connected.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

I have noticed that call quality and signal strength are not as good as the EVO 4G. I just deal with it because the phone is so rad otherwise. It is dissapointing but not a deal breaker for me.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Sprint rep said they are having many outages nation wide and that they are working on it...

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have no issues, i even had my daughter give me her phone and had her call me from mine so i could hear what others hear when I call them. Sounded fine.

EVO - LUTION 3D

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

No complaints at all on call quality for the last 12 days with my E3D. :D

l1fe

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen any benefits to having CDMA 800? I know Sprint is just beginning their vision (or whatever it's called) rollout. Just curious if anyone has seen improvements when it comes to building penetration. Signal strength is pretty important to me and I'm trying to get as much info on the EVO3D and Photon as I can before I switch from my Pre.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's not up and running yet. Sprint is going to repurpose Nextel's spectrum since it's finally turning off the iDEN network. There's no benefit to the EVO 3D yet, but there should be one once the changeover happens.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems my phone is getting worse. I can now definitely say that I am dropping more calls and spend more time roaming than I ever did on the Evo 4g. It really is crazy, I can be at the same location and the signal will go from 4 bars to roaming, just like that. I was at Radio Shack a while ago, and both employees had other sprint phones with steady 3 to 4 bars with no issues while mine was roaming.

I got my friends airave and just now installed it. On the first call with it (you can tell when you are using it because of a double short beep before it starts ringing), with me in the same room as the airave, the other person started to break up to the point that I had to repeat a few questions. While sitting in the same room I did some speed tests and they are pretty horrible. And again, even with the airave right here in my room the signal goes from 5 bars to one bar.

I am really starting to think the phone has a problem.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
No issue with Signal strength / data here Its much better then my EVO4G.
I stay 4-5 bar with 3G speed 950 down / 675 up
EVO 4G would flux 1-5 bars all the time with pathetic data speed - 250 down / 185 up...sometimes 80 up

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It seems my phone is getting worse. I can now definitely say that I am dropping more calls and spend more time roaming than I ever did on the Evo 4g. It really is crazy, I can be at the same location and the signal will go from 4 bars to roaming, just like that. I was at Radio Shack a while ago, and both employees had other sprint phones with steady 3 to 4 bars with no issues while mine was roaming.

I got my friends airave and just now installed it. On the first call with it (you can tell when you are using it because of a double short beep before it starts ringing), with me in the same room as the airave, the other person started to break up to the point that I had to repeat a few questions. While sitting in the same room I did some speed tests and they are pretty horrible. And again, even with the airave right here in my room the signal goes from 5 bars to one bar.

I am really starting to think the phone has a problem.

Thats somewhat of a known issue now with the 3D. I would definately get a replacement device.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Didn't want to start a new thread. Has anyone seen any benefits to having CDMA 800? I know Sprint is just beginning their vision (or whatever it's called) rollout. Just curious if anyone has seen improvements when it comes to building penetration. Signal strength is pretty important to me and I'm trying to get as much info on the EVO3D and Photon as I can before I switch from my Pre.

Good question. Heres how the break down is, somewhat simplified by the way.
the 800mhz spectrum does offer pretty good building penetration at somewhat higher power.
As you get to higher frequencies, the wavelength gets smaller and travels less farther on the same amount of power.
Great example, 1 watt of VHF 155.xxx, 1 watt off UHF 450.xxxx 1 watt of 800mhz, 1 watt of 1.8ghz, and 1 watt of 2.7ghz will all travel at completely different distances. The lower the frequency the greater it can travel.
However throw in building penetration. The higher the frequency the better building penetration. . UHF and 800 penetrate well but VHF not so well. Keep all of this in mind as well as the fact that as you get higher in frequency you are required to use less power. This is why cell phones use such little power, they are on a higher frequency, as well as constantly in use close to our bodies.
Heres a great example of FCC power limitations.
On VHF max RF output on a handheld device is 5 watts, UHF is 4 watts, 800mhz is 3 watts, 900mhz is 2.5 watts. .So you see a downward trend.
This is why our WiMax is having problems with building penetration, its a really high frequency and also at a lower power.

Well now that it is clear as mud were all good.
If and when they open the 800 band for LTE it will still be pretty low power but at least we should get decent building penetration and not have to fight other sources of RF interference.

Yup another crappy explination from yours truly.. Thank me later. :)

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats somewhat of a known issue now with the 3D. I would definately get a replacement device.

I contacted HTC when I first got my phone - they don't seem to know about it although Sprint does. Has anyone else tried calling or emailing HTC?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12