Swapping the stock MicroSD card

roark1138

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've already purchases a 32GB MicroSD card for my 3VO, which I'm picking up on Friday.

Is the stock flash card blank so it's literally a 60-second swap? Or is there data that will be moved around?

This might be a silly question, but I didn't know -- I'm a long time Palm user and finally switching to Android.

Thanks!

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
all you have to do is format your new card. but a lil info for you. i stuck with the 8gb stock class 4 card over my 16gb class 2 card. make sure you dont end up getting a junk 32gb card just for the storage. cause your gonna want the best performance card for this phone. imo 8gb class 4 is better than 16gb class 2. but its just a simple place the card in and format.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
should just be a 30 second switch. Report back on how it goes. I've heard horror stories over at XDA of people not being able to turn on their phones after putting in new cards, or formatting the stock one.

VegasJay

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
There are files on the stock card that you might want to transfer over to the new card (like the 3d movie). I made a copy of the stock card on my PC, put the new card in the phone and then copied everything from the stock card to the new card and it all worked great.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I made the mistake of just taken the stock card out without seeing what's on it, turns out when I gave it to my daughter she eraded the green Hornet movie on me. There is also sample 3D pics on it that are very cool. She could not delete them so i was able to copy them over to my device. But the movie is gone. Fyi I got a pny 32 gig class 10 card and it works fabulous

EVO - LUTION 3D

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
So you can just copy/paste the files onto your PC, swap cards, format and copy/paste the files to the new card? No Android backup app needed? I am asking because I'm new to Android too and will be getting the 32GB Class 10 PNY card after I pickup my phone tomorrow.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So you can just copy/paste the files onto your PC, swap cards, format and copy/paste the files to the new card? No Android backup app needed? I am asking because I'm new to Android too and will be getting the 32GB Class 10 PNY card after I pickup my phone tomorrow.

That's all it is. All I did was plugged my new card into pc, plugged my evo 4g into pc and copy all my files right into new card. When my 3d came i just plugged new card in and I was done with it.

EVO - LUTION 3D

evo4gMN

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Can you format a new card while it is mounted in the phone? I dont have a adapter for my micro card to put it in my PC so i was hoping i could connect my phone via USB and format the new sd card that way

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you format a new card while it is mounted in the phone? I dont have a adapter for my micro card to put it in my PC so i was hoping i could connect my phone via USB and format the new sd card that way
What exactly is formatting anyway, I put my card in and it works great.

EVO - LUTION 3D

Reactions: ScandaLeX

evo4gMN

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is formatting anyway, I put my card in and it works great.

EVO - LUTION 3D
Sweet, that is what I was hoping to do. I just read this forum and thought I would need to format it. I am glad to hear I can just plug and play!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
My card didn't even have the movie on it, but it had all the other 2D and 3D sample images..
I did purchase a 32G Class 10 Micro, and it's running it now (I copied all the files over).

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yea, so did I. I had already created my file structure and just popped the new card in before powering on. All my music was there, pictures I wanted and I didn't have to format anything.

FYI thanks to MannyZ28 I ordered a 32 GB class 10 Lexar...I love it.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There are files on the stock card that you might want to transfer over to the new card (like the 3d movie). I made a copy of the stock card on my PC, put the new card in the phone and then copied everything from the stock card to the new card and it all worked great.
You need to back up those stock files on the microSD that comes with the phone.

See: Backup Everything

drbillingsdc

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
That's all it is. All I did was plugged my new card into pc, plugged my evo 4g into pc and copy all my files right into new card. When my 3d came i just plugged new card in and I was done with it.

EVO - LUTION 3D
thanks for the post I just transfered everthing onto a 32g sd card it was easy

scramer

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
i just copied the contents of the card that came with the 3d phone onto the 32 gb card i was currently using and had no problems using the evo 3d with my old card.

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Forgive my noobness but what is the class difference on the card for?
What exactly does that mean?
Where can they be purchased? Staples, Best buy ect?

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my noobness but what is the class difference on the card for?
What exactly does that mean?
Where can they be purchased? Staples, Best buy ect?

The class difference is the speed of the card, the higher the class # the higher speed it transfers data at. With the EVO 3D you want a good fast card for the best performance when watching videos etc. You can purchase them at most stores that sell electronics, phones, etc. Best Buy and Staples both carry them but I suggest you shop around as the 32gb cards are pricey. You will find the best prices online.

sethpcs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
My card didn't even have the movie on it, but it had all the other 2D and 3D sample images..
I did purchase a 32G Class 10 Micro, and it's running it now (I copied all the files over).
The Green Hornet movie is in the "/.data" directory on the SD Card. If you are using a Unix-based OS (Mac, Linux, etc.), you will not see that directory, or any other directory whose name starts with a period. On a Mac, you can use the "Go to Folder..." option in the Finder to see files in a hidden directory and type "/Volumes/[the name of your SD Card]/.data/".

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
The class difference is the speed of the card, the higher the class # the higher speed it transfers data at. With the EVO 3D you want a good fast card for the best performance when watching videos etc. You can purchase them at most stores that sell electronics, phones, etc. Best Buy and Staples both carry them but I suggest you shop around as the 32gb cards are pricey. You will find the best prices online.

Thanks!