EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

Pre-Occupied

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Milo, I understand the many ways that I can do this with contacts. Unfortunately I get many new numbers daily from service inquiries at work. 95% of those numbers will not become contacts and are just one-time calls. So the area code prefix remains an issue. I see the option for adding a "1" before the area code, I just wish I could add a "787" to that.

Pre-Occupied

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I know that there is a low volume speaker and speakerphone problem but is it at least louder than or the same volume as the Palm pre?

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, my Pre had a louder speaker than my Evo 3D does. I could see this varying due to differences in individual handsets though.

itS#WN

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Launch day palm ore owner on my EVO 3d for a week now and love it. Held out for over a year on my upgrade. I'm glad I have a new phone even though its not the pre3 its a great phone with so much going for it can't wait for ice cream sandwich to make the most of this dual core.

stu5797

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have not made the change because I am scared of the email app. With the pre I have my outlook and gmail in 1 app. Is there a way to have both emails in 1 place? I dont think I could live without

the Touchstone.*
-'just type' driving and if I have to call someone just open the key board and type f.r.a. And all My franks come up. (we all know voice search is not perfect)
-Email app... Having my exchange and gmail email in the same app.
-Swiping away cards and having multiple cards open.
-gestures like back gesture to go back
-the new 10 monthly fee
-Patches to customize the pre.
-force to roam patch if sprint does not get signal
I am probably missing others

Last edited:

trusigma

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have not made the change because I am scared of the email app. With the pre I have my outlook and gmail in 1 app. Is there a way to have both emails in 1 place? I dont think I could live without

the Touchstone.*
-'just type' driving and if I have to call someone just open the key board and type f.r.a. And all My franks come up. (we all know voice search is not perfect)
-Email app... Having my exchange and gmail email in the same app.
-Swiping away cards and having multiple cards open.
-gestures like back gesture to go back
-the new 10 monthly fee
-Patches to customize the pre.
-force to roam patch if sprint does not get signal
I am probably missing others
The transition is not that bad, plus with the functionality and available apps, tweaks and patches are a thing of the past. I was scared at first, but after day 16, should have done it sooner

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I miss the most (besides the Touchstone and notifications) is being able to type a contact's initials and get a perfect match...

Thanks Milo, I understand the many ways that I can do this with contacts. Unfortunately I get many new numbers daily from service inquiries at work. 95% of those numbers will not become contacts and are just one-time calls. So the area code prefix remains an issue. I see the option for adding a "1" before the area code, I just wish I could add a "787" to that

I kept researching this and I think I found a great solution!

As you might expect, "There's an app for that!"

I am adding this to the Getting Started under Phone Tips:

Smart Dial
• Most Androids let you "T9" smart dial by typing a name such as Brown as: 2 for B, 7 for R to see names beginning "Br".
• Most also let you the first few numbers to see a list of numbers For instance typing "202456" will find 202-456-1414.
Go Contacts lets you dial a middle part of a name or number. For 202-456-1414, you can dial "456" or "1414".
TouchPal Dialer lets you dial their initals for instance dial 2 for B, 6 for O for Barack Obama.
Go Contacts & TouchPal Dialer can seach contacts for "Pen" for contacts on Pennsylvania Ave or "Wash" for Washington.

You can set it so that Go Contacts comes up when you press the normal Phone button.

So you could find prospects in the 456 prefix or others on Pennsylvania Ave when you are driving about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiley_11 and patchs

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Milo,
TouchPal Dialer appears to work with typing initials.
THANK YOU!
Now if only we could get a back cover to work with my Touchstones gathering dust.

gsmith58

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I am a long time Palm (original Pilot) and first day Pre owner (former). I really, really, didn't want to change, but thanks to Sprint/HP (I don't know which) here I am.

When changed over I was ambivalent. I missed the cards, Touchstone, physical keyboard, and slick notifications, but loved the new solid hardware and vast sea of apps.

Since then I have become mostly used to the keyboard (SwiftKey). And, yesterday I found SwipePad which goes along way towards easing my transition from the cards metaphor. Finding SwipePad has all, but sealed the deal. It's a swell task switcher.

I'm still not fond of the EVO notifications and I really miss the Touchstone, but my overall experience with the two phones isn't really that close. I loved Palm, but HP really isn't in the game right now.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cash70

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow...I feel like I am attending a recovery meeting. :)

After over 10 years of Palm/WebOS I have finally made the jump from my original Pre. I just got tired of waiting. I've only had the EVO 3D for a week and I am having a blast. There were a few things I thought I would miss. But the things I have gained are amazing.

I am having fun!

Was anyone using TealAuto and was able to transfer their data to aCar?

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
@ cash&gsmith welcome to Android Central. I think your going to like your new phone and A/C, I know I do. My biggest problem is what to do with 4 Touchstones. :D It must be getting mighty lonesome over at Pre Central. ltm ltm

gsmith58

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
@ cash&gsmith welcome to Android Central. I think your going to like your new phone and A/C, I know I do. My biggest problem is what to do with 4 Touchstones. :D It must be getting mighty lonesome over at Pre Central. ltm ltm
PreCentral . . . it's a tight community (and getting more so all the time).

Yes, yes, touchstones . . . got a few myself ;) They are so nice compared to this darn HTC dock. I still have them sitting on my desk for old times.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I finally made the leap to the E3D today but here's my problem. I have all of my Google, Linkedin, and Facebook contacts on my phone. The problem is they are not synced together. In other words John Smith is listed 3 times instead of once like Synergy did. What am I missing here?

Manual syncing is not working either.

ryang

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
You need to link the contacts, if the phone doesn't suggest it for you go into contacts and do it manually (chainlink icon)

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I finally made the leap to the E3D today but here's my problem. I have all of my Google, Linkedin, and Facebook contacts on my phone. The problem is they are not synced together. In other words John Smith is listed 3 times instead of once like Synergy did. What am I missing here?

Manual syncing is not working either.

You need to link the contacts, if the phone doesn't suggest it for you go into contacts and do it manually (chainlink icon)
Palm sometimes would link contacts that should not have been linked. Android is more cautious. Many of your contacts did link. For the others, use the advice above to link them. It's quick.

Please tell us more detail on exactly what you mean by Manual Sync is not working.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Palm sometimes would link contacts that should not have been linked. Android is more cautious. Many of your contacts did link. For the others, use the advice above to link them. It's quick.

Please tell us more detail on exactly what you mean by Manual Sync is not working.

I have over 2000 contacts and the phone did not suggest that any of them be linked.

When I've clicked on the chainlink icon and then clicked on a contact/account to link, they never get linked. It shouldn't make a difference that I'm using CompanionLink/Deja Office to sync my Outlook contacts to my phone and NOT gmail, right? I'm one of those people who does not want to pass my sensitive data through gmail.

Does the order in which the accounts were added matter?

EDIT #1: I deleted and re-added my LinkedIn and FaceBook accounts. This time I did get a notification about suggested contacts to link. It seems to only be working between my FaceBook and Linkedin accounts and not with my CompanionLink account which is being listed as "Google". Also, I can't believe I have to manually click the chainlink next to each contact pair that I want linked. This does talk a long time for someone who has thousands of contacts. After FaceBook and LinkedIn finish syncing, I'm going to delete my CompanionLink account and try that one again. Any other suggestions?

EDIT #2: Ok, I bit the bullet and dumped my contacts into my gmail account and all of my problems went away other than feeling like I'm now more vulnerable to Google's security breeches. I also found the way to select all contacts to link in one step! I may have to give Missing Sync a try in order to get around having to sync with Google.

Last edited:

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are the Palm Pre car and AC (1 Ah output) adapters (microUSB) compatible with the Evo 3D? Just wondering about whether some of the old Palm accessories can be re-used for the Evo 3D. It's always nice to recycle if possible.