EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

Its a bad ass phone. Gonna take a while to get used to it....but its bad ass.

Having a relatively hard time with the keyboard, even with Swiftkey. I dunno.

sleblanc1976

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Its a bad ass phone. Gonna take a while to get used to it....but its bad ass.

Having a relatively hard time with the keyboard, even with Swiftkey. I dunno.

software keyboards, even good ones, take a bit of time to adjust to. I liken it to switching to an electric razor.

willrusso

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It will take a minute to get used to the virtual keyboard. But after using it for over a year with the OG EVO, I can now type *almost* as fast as I did with my pre.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
When I went from pre to evo took me a little bit of time to get use to no keyboard but now I would never want a Physical keyboard again.

EVO - LUTION 3D

willrusso

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention most people I know with launch day EVO 4Gs are still using the same ones! If it were a pre, they would have gone through three or four replacements already LOL. The one I traded in yesterday looked like it came straight out of the box except for one small scuff....and I didn't use a case!

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I have been with Palm since around 03/04 had 3 different Treo's. I was excited for the Pre minus release but I think I was more excited for a new phone & WebOs. The vertical sliding keyboard was something that I had to talk myself into when it was first announced...

I kept my original Pre minus for 2+ years but it was on its last leg. I skipped the original Evo thinking that something was going to be announced soon for Palm/HP...

Pre 3 got announced and then silence...at that point I was getting the next best phone...

So far I like the Evo 3D. Takes some getting used to but nothing I can't adjust to. The synergy/syncing between accounts was frustrating but I finally got it to work.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I was also a day 1 Palm Pre (original) owner... thought it was an okay phone, until I upgraded to the EVO 4G (also day one) which was a substantially better phone (hardware, especially). And now I am a "first to buy" owner of the EVO 3G and it's quite impressive. Looking back, I realize that I really like WebOS in itself, but the hardware was atrocious, and there was no support from app developers.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Other than Synergy and WebOS multitasking, are there any other missing Pre features?

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

What can i say EVO 3D is a Bad A$$ phone. It will take me a little time to get use to this new OS, but man! We've been missing out on a lot LOL. I got my wife one too and she loves it too specially the selection of apps.

ElijahRain

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

What can i say EVO 3D is a Bad A$$ phone. It will take me a little time to get use to this new OS, but man! We've been missing out on a lot LOL. I got my wife one too and she loves it too specially the selection of apps.

My wife and I made the switch yesterday as well.

Both of us were launch day Pre- owners and now launch day EVO 3D owners.

I actually adjusted decently quickly to the keyboard (loaded Swiftkey as soon as I got to the car) and know I can make it work. I typically write 15-20 email per day from my phone for work. ActiveSync worked perfectly. Linking Facebook was inefficient, but easy, just time consuiming. I do miss being able to long swipe along the bottom to switch open apps - but it's really not that bid of a deal.

I don't like the HTC Friends app - would prefer to have a full implementation of Facebook only there and follow twitter through a separate app. I've uninstalled it.

3D is a nice gimmick, but yes, a gimmick.

I do miss Just Type. I make quite a few calls and want to "just type" the name of the person to call them. I know I can voice activate them and do like that feature quite a bit. With nearly 5000 contacts - scrolling just isn't a option.

Apps - oh my. So many it's hard to find the best of the best. Thanks to these forums I'm able to sort through them.

The screen size is amazing. I get quite a few attachments in PDF that I need to review. The screen is large enough for me to not have to run to my netbook to preview. Plus!!!! the adobe reader doesn't crash constantly.

I subscribe to a live TV streaming service that might be less than legal. It's flash based. Let's just say that now I can watch NFL games, FoxNews, and most other cable programs anywhere/anytime. I'm very thrilled. Also thankful for Sprint's truly unlimited data now. I'll get my extra $10 worth.

4G is not yet in my area, but the 3G is a lot faster on this phone than it was on my Pre-. (San Diego - seriously Clear/Sprint, we're the 8th largest city and metro in the country and we have the busiest Sprint store in the country. Yes, we have a lot of hills, but come on!!!)

Torrent downloads directly to the phone. Enough said.

Extra utility - I can now play ping pong if there is only one paddle. Unexpected benefit.

Tons of icons. I need to learn how to use the folder system and get it all set up. Andriod seems to be very cluttered. Not that WebOS was much better -if any.

I got mine first thing in the morning, first in line at 8am. I wasn't the first there, but 15 people were sitting in their cars when I walked up. It took all of 30 seconds for everyone else to do the mad dash out of their cars to secure their place in line before the next guy. My son, age 6, said, "Dad, why are all those men running?" A couple of guys heard it and laughed. My wife saw mine and immediately wanted to upgrade (the phone you sick puppies), so we went down to the store again 8 hours later to secure hers. Her only real comment, "It's huge." Not much else yet. This coming from a woman who wants to return her iPad 2 after 2 weeks because of no Flash support.

I do miss the way the Pre did notifications. I liked the preview of the first line of the email - perhaps there's an app for that?

Widgets are cool. I need to find ones that do what I want. Love the Google Voice one.

Ahh, Google Voice. This is my main phone number for most people, it's very refreshing to have a phone that really takes advantage of the features (and the phone number!)

That's about it for now - I'm sure there will be loads more later.

MNofsinger

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I bought the original Palm Pre on launch day. I loved Web OS but the harware sucked big time. Then a few months later, I heard about the original Evo from the CES coverage. I had to have this phone. My Pre was starting to have problems (along with the scary commercials with that spooky pale woman). I was the first one to place a pre-order at Best Buy and I had the first apointment. I loved the Evo from the moment I picked it up and looked down at that big beautiful screen. I picked up my Evo 3D yesterday. I love it so far. The phone is blazing fast and the screen is awesome. Based on the reviews, I was a little concerned about call quality. No need to have been, I think the call quality is on par with the OG Evo if not a little better. :D

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Damn, either the Precentral faithful had a massive defection to the E3D or we are just a pissed off minority but there are so many Pre threads here! haha I'm waiting for the FedEx man as I type this so I'll give my impressions later. I don't know why people cling to any platform, especially webOS, it will take HP YEARS to catch up to what is available today on iOS, Android and WPmango.

willrusso

May 20, 2011
Visit site
...... I do miss Just Type. I make quite a few calls and want to "just type" the name of the person to call them. I know I can voice activate them and do like that feature quite a bit. With nearly 5000 contacts - scrolling just isn't a option.....

Android does have a similar feature. You just have to do it within the phone app. Just start typing the person's name as you would on one of those old numeric keypad phones. The EVO will figure out what are you are trying to type and display the correct contact.

HootieMacMN

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I am absolutely in love with this phone. I was a little sad when I powered off my Pre after getting the Evo 3D yesterday, but haven't thought of it since. Still getting used to the new OS, switching between apps and whatnot, but holy crap is it just amazing. SO GLAD I've made the switch.

cbwrob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I am an original Pre owner as well and the 3D feels so far above what the Pre is I can't even express it. I got the Pre to replace the Centro and that was a nice upgrade but gong from the Pre to the Evo 3D honestly feels like trading in a Pinto for a (insert your favorite super car here)!

jhill000

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Launch day Pre- owner. I love this HTC phone. wow. So easy to use. So many apps. I'm even using swype and loving it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

While I have not switched I have been watching the forums in the EVO 3D. I must say it looks like alot of people enjoy! I have not jump ship on WebOS yet! I think in the end even if I did get an EVO 3D I would still get a WebOS phone to have around also!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar