EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

scip4

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Im loving the evo3D. Hp missed the boat completely by not satisfying the sprint users.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

kx250ryder

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php
Battery Status : Puts real battery % in status bar.

Try Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, or Itching Thumb. My favorite is Perfect Task Switcher.

The apps you see recommended by Android Central and Endaget are really good. Always check the reviews before you download. The Getting Started section on Applications lists many of our favorites like those above.

Any free battery apps that replace or at least sit exactly next to the original battery icon in the status bar? All I've seen sit off to the left side of the bar like a notification.

gbritton

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In google voice settings, turn off notifications, and turn on notification via text message. Then you will get all your text messages via the messaging app, and not google voice.

This seems to result in duplicated messages from Google voice and the text messaging app. If I disable sync, Google voice stops It's budgeting, but i lose voicemail notification. Is there no way to get both or does using Google voice integration just mean losing flexibility?

NomadManiac

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group For Palm webOS Users

I switched from Pre- to the EVO Shift 4G last March, following HP's announcement of the Pre3 launch this summer. With the EVO Shift, I hardly ever use the physical keyboard, although it does come in handy once in a while. A bigger display like the EVO 3D size would definitely be better. I've found Android to be stable and robust, although not as intuitive and simple as webOS. I miss the Touchstone charger the most and cards and the back-swipe gesture too. No looking back, HP dropped the ball last February...too little, too late.

ccondry

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

Considering making this move as well. The Touchstone is the one final detail holding me back...

Domingan

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I wish I could explain in words what I am feeling today. I have had Palm products since the Treo 600. I had a launch day Sprint Pre and loved it. I love WebOS I think the way you move in it and the things you can do with it is amazing, I love the community and how easy patching was in it. I spent years fighting with friends talking about how the OS is amazing and so forth. I went to war for WebOS and what did I get for it? I always thought I had what I needed with my pre that the apps were limited but I had what I needed covered. Boy was I wrong. I now understand what my friends were talking about. It is nice to have an app for everything. Its funny, I still find my self trying to "swipe" away things from the screen and getting used to not having a way to turn off the apps unless I kill them is not easy. When I look at the the whole thing I am glad I moved on. hopefully one day someone will make a ROM that works somewhat like WebOS.

Reactions: sousy

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

I'm not too happy w/ the lack of "synergy" =/ Though, this is at the cost of a native gmail client I suppose. Carousel is annoying because I like to swipe to an end, and stop. 3D effect is very nice though. Don't like the dialer either. Much rather have the stock dialer if I could (can i... without rooting?)

But what frustrates me right now is exchange. The default mail app will pull in contacts, as well as let you search my work ldap. awesome. pulls in calendars (not sure if it does multiple tho), great too. But I realized there's no default task app. So... to get tasks, I have to find something else. Touchdown does it all, but doesn't integrate into the sense calendar or contacts. And costs $20.

Anyone have any good (and actually well made... I see why ppl make fun of android apps.. there's a lot of bad looking stuff out there) task apps out there that will ideally work with both gmail/google tasks (sidenote: why doesn't this app already exist on it's own) and exchange apps?

My other gripe has to do with Google Music. When you download music from it, I can't see it from the stock Sense player, which I oddly prefer (tho I don't like the sense menu bar at the bottom of many htc apps). I don't know if it's because android is not like the Pre where anything not hidden can by seen by any app (media wise anyway) or if it's because google music downloads files and seemingly strips it's metadata (windows can't see it anyway).

But other than that... boy is it nice to actually have a choice of apps =) And it's fast. Instant loading... oh how I've dreaded rebooting the Pre. Well, ok, I still miss cards (don't like any of the hacky launchers for android) Oh, and I love how it auto swaps stuff on your homescreen if it doesn't fit. That was very annoying when setting up my mom's nexus s for her.

Domingan

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: webos-like messaging app

I am in the same boat. Is there an app that can control all my messaging at once? Like all my Chat programs like Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo and my text messages ?

LilTmac2003

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Looks like I'm on the same boat with a bunch of other of owners.

I got a launch Pre. Absolutely fell in love with webOS. I still love webOS to this day, it's just I literally could not get over the fact that my Pre had ancient hardware. Almost any problem I had with webOS was due to poor hardware. Processor was slow, extremely small battery, bad edges around the corner on the touchscreen, etc.

I wanted to get the original EVO 4G but wasn't able to do so because I was still on contract w/ the Pre.

Glad I waited because now I'm a proud owner of an EVO 3D. It's truly amazing. What's so funny, is when I read all the specs, reviews, comments about it, the idea of 3D was implemented in my brain as a gimmick. I guess I subconsciously thought it was a nice feature but I'll never use.

After checking out 3D on the phone, I probably won't use it down the road but it is pretty cool. The 3D is indeed amazing. I've never used my phone as an ultimate gaming device (besides time-wasting games), but the phone exceeds my expectations and my expectations for it were super high.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what do you Palm Pre converts think about the EVO3D so far

Other than Synergy and WebOS multitasking, are there any other missing Pre features?
Personally, I'm missing Universal Search/Just Type. I know the Android fanboys will say that it's not missing, but unless you have a physical keyboard, you can't just start typing something. I'll get over it though. This phone is pretty sweet. I was a Pre- user since almost day one, and just couldn't wait any longer for a new webOS phone on Sprint.

palmwebosfan

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone know of an App that works like Spotlight on the Mac or the "Universal Search" function of the Pre? I'm finding that I really miss that.

Also, any way to bring up the text keyboard in the phone app instead of having to use the number pad to enter names to call?

Is Gmail permanently separate from all my other email accounts? or do I need to set it up as POP/IMAP in the Mail app if I wish it to be in the same place as my other email?

Any way to copy SMS messages/Tasks/Memos from the Pre to the EVO 3D?

Thank in advance for any help/tips!
Universal Search/the Android equivalent works by hitting your search button. Hit search and just start typing.

To search for a contact without going to the contacts app or phone dialer, follow the steps above. It works just like Web OS except you need to hit the search button first.

You can use any e-mail account in the basic email app that HTC provided you with the phone. Just add your multiple accounts and you should be able to view all accounts just like Web OS.

palmwebosfan

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

Personally, I'm missing Universal Search/Just Type. I know the Android fanboys will say that it's not missing, but unless you have a physical keyboard, you can't just start typing something. I'll get over it though. This phone is pretty sweet. I was a Pre- user since almost day one, and just couldn't wait any longer for a new webOS phone on Sprint.
Hit the search button. It does the same thing as just type/universal search. Mult tasking is done via the menu button. Nothing multi tasks as well as web os, but you do have multi tasking on Android.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Hit the search button. It does the same thing as just type/universal search. Mult tasking is done via the menu button. Nothing multi tasks as well as web os, but you do have multi tasking on Android.
I don't think you're understanding. I know there's a search button. I miss just going straight to typing to accomplish any task, without hitting a search button or finding your search widget or anything else. Just typing. It's not physically possible on this phone. Like I said, I will miss it, but I will get over it.

geo1025

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

For months/years I've argued relentlessly with avid iPhone and Droid users. Trying my very best to convince them on how awesome webos actually is. However, to no avail. Hardly any software upgrade, unreliable hardware, a scarce app market, for heaven sake they even refuse to give us flash. Now, the ship is sinking. Alas, a life life was thrown out to me. Who could it be? None other than HTC EVO 3D. As I'm being rescued, carried off to saftey. I can't help but look back. With tear filled eyes. I'll miss you palm pre :-(.

I totally feel the same way, goodbye pre, and hello Evo 3D

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I frequently use my phone while driving. With the pre it was a snap to look up a contact and dial with one hand. Can someone comment on the easiest way to do this on the Evo?
Use your voice!
Unlock phone, hold search button, say " call contact name" and it calls. If you just say a word or phrase it will Google it. I understand it will message and email as well but have not tested that feature yet.

My lil' Pre minus feels so small in my hand now, sniff. I'm still getting emails over wi-fi so the notification light was blinking. Had this little machine for about a year and a half now Really loved the interface, just how natural and intuitive everything was. Stayed strong as long as I could, but am ready for something new. I think I'm gonna turn it off now. :'(

Wow the HTC EVO 3D is amazing. Havin' trouble adjusting to NOT swiping, but no regrets. :D It's bittersweet, but I'm finally moving forward!

Reactions: crholt

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Is there a way to add Wikipedia to the Google Search option?

I too am missing the ability to just pull down my damn keyboard and start typing.

bklyn

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Its a bad ass phone. Gonna take a while to get used to it....but its bad ass.

Having a relatively hard time with the keyboard, even with Swiftkey. I dunno.

Have you tried Swype3 beta? I prefer it to Swiftkey.

davidminor03

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

As a old pre owner I really like gingerbread keyboard from the market....takes a while tobget used to the touchscreen typing but the voice text messaging and general voice control helps alot

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

After 2 years (I feel like such a D-Bag :'() with the Pre- you couldn't drag this EVO 3D away from me with a team of Clydesdales. :D

P.S. Sure am glad I didn't get the Nexus S 4G. :p