Sync Outlook and home computer with Evo 3D

Spazo

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I got HTC Sync and did my initial sync between my home computer running Outlook and my new 3D. Hooking the phone up with a wire to my computer is pretty ghetto and, with my Pre, I used Chapura to do sync's (of my calendar and contacts) over WiFi.

The only option I have found so far is Companion Link to do the same with the 3D. Can anyone confirm this or suggest alternative methods?

(No, for my needs, switching to Google is not an option.)

Thanks in advance!

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Up till this point I was going to say use Google as an intermediate. That was what I used to do a couple years ago when I used outlook. Set up sync between Google and outlook and use Google for my phone.

May not work for you but it might help someone else searching and finding this topic.

Viscott

May 23, 2010
www.viscott.com
The NEW HTC Sync 3.0 seems very buggy still. HTC Sync 2.0.40 won't work like it did on the EVO. I just don't like the way HTC 3.0.551 sync works or lack thereof.

Using HTC Sync was my preferred method, but for this to work right you really need to embrace Google.com. You have to have a Gmail account anyway to use the Marketplace right? So why not. I did not want to use this solution a year ago, but now I am going to see how it works out. My biggest concern is my Outlook and Calendar getting messed up. I use Outlook for my business and the calendar contains a lot of recurring events for billing. The EVO 3D is really just a dupe for me so I can see what is going on if needed. I rarely update the calendar and contacts in the phone. So your mileage may vary depending on your use.

I decided to buy Companion Link doing a one way sync from Outlook to Google. My primary use and need is to do most of my contacts and calendar editing in Outlook.

Use caution when doing this – In other words backup your Outlook File!

This is assuming you are starting fresh on your phone and Google. Outlook will be your master to start.

• Make sure you backup your Outlook file first (just copy outlook.pst and place in another folder)
  • Look at the item count in Outlook to see how many contacts you have. (This will help you verify that you have the same amount of contacts on Google and your phone. This will also help you to know if the sync screws up your Outlook Contacts)
  • Same with your calendar in Outlook, be sure you are familiar with it and can spot a bad sync.
  • If something screws up you have your back up and can try again. Right? Right!
  • Use Outlook as your master to start
  • Clear the phone contacts
  • Clear the phone calendar
  • When syncing for the first time from your desktop in Companion Link Setup select "Purge and Reload Contacts".

Depending on the size of your contact and how much of your calendar you sync it should be pretty quick. You will see in Gmail your contacts loading in quite quickly in real time. You can verify your counts easily in Gmail and I just added all of my contacts on my phone to the "Friends" Group so I could see a number count.

My only concern with trying to do the 2-way sync (EVO 3D <--> Google <--> Outlook) is that in my testing the contact count changed in Gmail and the first try it doubled up my Outlook Calendar. Thus the reason for my method of using Outlook as the master to start and clear out Google and the phone first.

As I get more comfortable with this I might change to an automated 2-way sync. I do a manual sync when needed. For now this method works for me.

You can do a Wi-Fi only sync locally if you want. You just need to setup a static IP in your phone.

I hope this makes sense (pun intended). ;)

--Jon

Reactions: Spazo

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting the "Outlook is not the default email client" Message.

Tried some hacks to reset it, but still getting the message. That's when I can get Sync to recognize my phone. Anybody else have this problem?

EDIT: I see this seems to be a 64bit problem and Office 2010.

Last edited:

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Ok, so I got HTC Sync and did my initial sync between my home computer running Outlook and my new 3D. Hooking the phone up with a wire to my computer is pretty ghetto and, with my Pre, I used Chapura to do sync's (of my calendar and contacts) over WiFi.

The only option I have found so far is Companion Link to do the same with the 3D. Can anyone confirm this or suggest alternative methods?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Spazo, thanks for mentioning CompanionLink! We just got the EVO 3D in yesterday, and our sync works just fine.

You may want to check out syncdroid.net - they list all the available software to sync Outlook with Android (without Google).