Charging Port Not Working Right, light going on an off!

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I know there is a problem thread, but it gets buried with all the the other posts, and I have really not gotten any answers.

This was edited at 12:26AM ET on Monday June 27,2011.

Here is my problem. Yesterday, when I plug the HTC charger with HTC USB cord into the EVO 3D, it was hit or miss. Sometimes the phone charged, sometimes the red light blinks on and off, sometime the red light doesn't come on at all. The HTC USB cord is pretty tight in there, yet for some reason it doesn't seem to work all the time. Fast forward to now. First I kept thinking something was burning in my house, and I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. I smelt the phone and it had a burnt smell and I had my wife check it and she said she smell the burnt smell. The phone was on, but not plugged into the charger. I plugged the phone into the charger (I tried plugging into different sockets, same results) the red light would come on for a few seconds, shut off for a few seconds then turn on again and it would stay on. I think it may be time to take it back to Sprint. Should I call Sprint Tech support first in the morning and see what they say, then take it to the store.

Is the phone acting normal or do I have a bad processor, port or even a bad charger, or all of the above?

What do you think I should do? I got this EVO 3D on Friday, June 24.

The sad thing about this is that the EVO 3D seems to running great, with no problems, except the charging and the burnt smell.

Last edited:

Slab

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I know there is a problem thread, but it gets buried with all the the other posts, and I have really not gotten any answers.

Here is my problem. When I plug the USB cord into the EVO 3D, it is hit or miss. Sometimes it charges, sometimes the red light blinks on and off, sometime the red light doesn't come on at all. The HTC USB cord is pretty tight in there, yet for some reason it doesn't seem to work all the time. The rest of the phone is great, but if it doesn't charge, the phone will become worthless.

First, is anyone else having problems with there charging port.

Is there a way for me to fix this? Should I just go back to the store and have them replace it?

Hmm two things. If you have another cord try it. You could also hook it to your computer to charge to see if it may be the adaptor. If neither work better I would take it back for exchange.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmm two things. If you have another cord try it. You could also hook it to your computer to charge to see if it may be the adaptor. If neither work better I would take it back for exchange.

I had another cord from Monoprice and it did the same thing. Then I thought about it. I have the Otterbox Commuter case on it and it has a cover for the USB port. When I open it to plug in the charger, maybe it is hitting it to causing the USB cord to dislodge itself from the port. I took off the Otterbox Commuter case to see if that is the problem or not. I will test it out the next day, and if it is a problem, I will exchange the phone. Then I will probably have to return the Otterbox case and buy a Seidio Active case or the Best Buy's version of the Active. It would be a pain to take off the case everyday just to charge.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the commuter case and have no problem charging...my only complaint about the case is the rubber over the camera button, I think its making me move when I take pics causing them to be blurry...

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the commuter case and have no problem charging...my only complaint about the case is the rubber over the camera button, I think its making me move when I take pics causing them to be blurry...

Do you have a problem putting the USB cord at all with the Commuter case on?

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It was a lil tricky cuz that flap is stiff and doesn't like to get outta the way, but no, not really...And I use 4 different chargers throughout the day...

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, maybe it is user error, and I am not putting in the cord all the way. Do you here are click sound when putting in your cord into the port?

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried again tonight without the case, with a case and with a new case and I am still getting what could be a problem. When I plug the HTC charger into the phones port, the red light goes on for a few seconds, it turns off, then I turns back on again. I swear I smell a burner smell but, the phone doesn't feel hot or anything. I wonder, tomorrow if I should call Sprint's tech support before taking it into the Sprint store.

Is the red light going on then off then back on normal, or is my phone the only one doing this? I am just trying to make sure the phone is running correctly.

Please let me know!

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The only problem is if they have any EVO 3D in stock. I do have two corporate stores near me, so I could call them and see. I doubt they would fix it, plus it is only 3 days.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter if it has been 3 days or 3 hours...you direct them to the papers they have posted everywhere and say that you want to be very satisfied...

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
It started smelling worse of a burnt smell. You could smell that burnt smell all over the phone. I took the battery out and going to take it to Sprint this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC